sharetrader
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ananda77 View Post
    ...about the New Zealand Housing Market:

The New Zealand Zinger

Though the local housing market looks unlikely to pose an existential threat to Australian banks, New Zealand's housing market may give some banks a run for their money. Australian banks own most of the banks in New Zealand, where the housing market is undergoing a deeper correction as immigration to New Zealand slumps. With HOUSING ASSETS 5.7x HOUSEHOLD DISPOSABLE INCOME, NEW ZEALAND PROPERTY MARKETS ARE EVEN MORE LEVERAGED THAN THEIR US COUNTERPARTS. As the Australian Financial Stability Review states: “As at December 2008, the Australian banks’ overseas exposures accounted for around 30 per cent of their total assets, with New Zealand and the United Kingdom together accounting for about two thirds of these foreign exposures.” Considering the relative outlooks for housing markets in Australia and New Zealand, external assets are a more significant danger to Australian banks than domestic assets. This could be the hidden dragon that swallows up Australian banks in the years ahead despite its ostensibly more comfortable position versus European and American banks.

Kind Regards
    I believe the Centro saga was about the first big "canary in the coalmine".

There have been and will continue to be others.

My biggest concern about Depression 2.0 is not barriers to trade, but barriers to credit.

NZ is short on savings.......what happens as increased blowback from tax-payer bailed out and nationalized foreign banks results in pressure for more domestic and less international lending?

I have been looking long and hard everywhere around Auckland for property...

Cashflow positive ones are still a rarity, it seems the market has become more efficient over the years (I'm reading posts on another forum about how someone bought houses for 16% yield in southland many years ago. WTF!!)
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Ananda and Lake...provide some common sense...McDunk...still tugging like a fervent schoolboy.
    \"death&taxes t.o.s.b\"

Interesting comment...

“Capital is now available,” said Peter Sorrentino, who helps manage $13.8 billion at Huntington Asset Management in Cincinnati. “Indicators of stress in the financial system are getting back to their historical relationship. That’s bringing investors back into the marketplace.”
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

its a different ballgame now and for the forseeable future...a paradigm shift in residential property as an investment vehicle delivering cap gain.
    \"death&taxes t.o.s.b\"

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    its a different ballgame now and for the forseeable future...a paradigm shift in residential property as an investment vehicle delivering cap gain.

I nearly broke my neck tripping over the ambiguity ....do you mean for the foreseeable future it will return to delivering capital gains; or do you mean it will no longer be seen as a capital gain investment?

Default yes..

it was verbose...the 2nd scenario....no more cap gain.
    \"death&taxes t.o.s.b\"

Default nickle

Now is the time to stick to your knitting
    Get back into the commodity stocks macdunk
    Nickle stocks are going bullistic
    The bull market in realestate is well and truly over - it will be 5-10 yrs before you'll get good cap gains in realestate again
    He who lives by the crystal ball soon learns to eat ground glass. (Edgar Fiedler)

Default Give me land, lots of land ...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    The economy is in dire straights with the only likely out come being, high inflation. To take advantage of this .. (sic) ..left is property.
    What ever eventuates will see property as todays wisest investment.
    Macdunk
    Totally agree. Well mostly - The dire straights bit is a little strong. But the flat out inflation will eventuate, (By the way - my daughter has a Zimbabwe Trillion dollar note - proof positive of what extreme quantitative easing does). Anyway, dust off your pocket calculators folks - there are cash positive properties out there now. Inflation is going to rip the bottom out of value of borrowed money and real increases in property is going to make even the dopiest investor appear to be a total genius.
    As the world turns to schist because of population pressure and all the slings and arrows that goes with it - - lifeboat NZ is going to have strong immigration… and they ain't making any more land.

I've got my snout in the trough - - suggest you do too.

(Still holding and increasing equities, McDunk - they will be stellar too).

(Hardly got any cash - all cash will do a Zimbabwe this or next year.. I might have enough to buy this weeks' groceries - but that's all I need)

Default still...

PLENTY of land in NZ...very low pop density...Mr Cropper.
    \"death&taxes t.o.s.b\"