sharetrader
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    It was $5.62 when you posted on the "Are NZ stocks too expensive thread". Now $6.05 so thats a 7.6% rise pretty handy. Have you an intrinsic value Forest. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Hard to come up with an intrinsic value for SAN as there are many changing factors with this company and lot of them positive as I see it.
    Had a talk to the 2 Goodfellow directors at the last AGM and they seem to expect that return on equity is going to be double digits within a few years.The last 5 years were all below 5.
    A positive for SAN also is that new planes have more cargo space this helps with sending higher value fresh fish to markets were they are prepared to pay a premium.

Worth keeping an eye on

Dilettante

Forest I am not sure this indicates any spectacular upcoming results. I do however believe this indicates that they are starting to believe they will be allowed and supported by the Board to implement the long term (5 odd years) plan of the new CEO and his management team. If successfully implemented, SAN will be a totally different and more interesting business in 5 years time. I bought back in 4 months ago and am likely to add more if and when I see how the change of direction progresses.
    SAN has made quite a few acquisitions in the last few years but many of them have not yet produced sufficient earnings. They have very valuable assets that have been under performing and that's where the focus and increased profit will be. Just my ten cents worth.

[QUOTE=iceman;633243]. I do however believe this indicates that they are starting to believe they will be allowed and supported by the Board to implement the long term (5 odd years) plan of the new CEO and his management team. If successfully implemented, SAN will be a totally different and more interesting business in 5 years time.

From what I sensed at the last AGM management and board are very much aware of past sort comings in business model and are very clear on how to fix this. Good to hear that somebody with your understanding in this sector has an share holding in SAN.

Handy things those Dreamliners. 15 tonnes cargo space, (three times the cargo weight of the old 767's

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Handy things those Dreamliners. 15 tonnes cargo space, (three times the cargo weight of the old 767's
    Its good for a company like SAN, it makes the difference between selling frozen fish at a low price or up selling the same fish as chilled fresh fish at a better price.

What other NZ companies do you think would benefit from the increased air cargo space?

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    Its good for a company like SAN, it makes the difference between selling frozen fish at a low price or up selling the same fish as chilled fresh fish at a better price.
    What would be even better is if SAN could copy Kiwi red meat processors and by strict hygiene, fast processing, vacuum packaging and strict temperature controls during transit send chilled fish all the way to Europe Japan and North America by container ship.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post

What other NZ companies do you think would benefit from the increased air cargo space?
    Good question ? Maybe SCL with first of season product to Asia by air freight commanding premium prices ? What about Kiwifruit exports or Comvita maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    What would be even better is if SAN could copy Kiwi red meat processors and by strict hygiene, fast processing, vacuum packaging and strict temperature controls during transit send chilled fish all the way to Europe Japan and North America by container ship.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Sounds great but fish flesh just does not last that long using current tecnology, water content is the issue here. The fishing industry in NZ never had the central R&D resourse that red meat had with MIRINZ in the past so no progress made on advanced technologies to get the required shelf life for seafreight. Fresh trade currently & in medium term restricted to air freight.

Most of the fish harvested in NZ are curently caught on factory trawlers, not logistically practical for a chilled market.

Seafreight mussels, already done with pressure/temperature treatments. Pressure treatments still have texture issues that remain a quality roadblock.

C'mon Sanford do not get left behind.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU160...hing-fleet.htm

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    C'mon Sanford do not get left behind.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU160...hing-fleet.htm

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    If SAN copy anything Sealord does, I will quickly sell my shares. "The best deepwater fishing company in NZ" comment from the Chairman made me laugh !!