sharetrader
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    percy

Unfortunately NZK have to feed their salmon with dyed food, otherwise the flesh is white rather than pink.
    They also have pollution issues.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Unfortunately NZK have to feed their salmon with dyed food, otherwise the flesh is white rather than pink.
    Yuk - wish you hadn't told me percy

Google tells me that they also feed them on animal waste ...and most of that comes from Australia .....and as not omega-3 as claimed (if that maters to you)

Hope these Sanford salmon are more naturally fed - maybe a marketing advantage if so?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yuk - wish you hadn't told me percy

Google tells me that they also feed them on animal waste ...and most of that comes from Australia .....and as not omega-3 as claimed (if that maters to you)

Hope these Sanford salmon are more naturally fed - maybe a marketing advantage if so?
    As far as I know there are no issues with salmon farming around Stewart Island.
    Sorry I can not provide the link, but if you google ;Big Fish:Four Corners looks at the Tasmanian Salmon farming, you will see the issues that NZK also face.

yak - if you guys don't behave I tell you about SAN's dirty little secrets ... but than nobody wants to eat fish anymore .

I heard some of the rumours / arguments you raised before - however:

For some reason seem NZK's salmons not be aware of them (re water temperature). Where is this info coming from? Ever been in Golden Bay? Anatoki Salmon do grow beautiful salmon in much warmer water than the Marlborough sounds.

I would not regard SAN as an sustainable or environmentally friendly company. Just from the top of my head: It is not that long ago that their ships have been grounded by the authorities for breaking environmental rules (illegal disposal of oil waste): http://gcaptain.com/zealand-fishing-company-fined/.
    As well - remember the Chatham rise mining proposal? SAN opposed this proposal for "environmental" reasons, but keeps to create much more damage to the deep water corals (and whatever else is on the sea floor) than CRP would ever have done. Bunch of hypocrites.

SAN's Christchurch sales outlet sucks ... old fish which hasn't seen the water for a long time ... and expensive as well. Prefer to buy fresh King Salmon instead.

Anyway - market seems to prefer NZK (well, since they are around).

To be honest, I think that both will do well, but don't try to convince me to buy SAN. I do not like them.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Default From NZK Initial Public Offering.

SALMON MORTALITY RISK
    What is it? Every year, a number of fish will die prior to harvest. This occurs due to a range of natural factors,
    and can be increased by unusually warm water, feeding issues, changes in environmental
    conditions (such as algal bloom, a natural event), predators (such as seals), disease or other
    factors that are known and unknown. Mortality rates are significantly higher on low flow sites.
    Why is it significant? Only fish that survive to the point of harvest can be sold. Fish mortalities in a given year affect
    our production volumes.
    In addition, a disease or other biological issue could have a longer term effect on the viability of
    our continued operations.
    Our assessment of the
    likelihood, nature and
    potential magnitude
    of any impact
    We know that each year a certain number of fish will die prior to harvest. Our forecast mortality rate
    is 11.0% throughout the Prospective Period. Given the factors that influence this are both known and
    unknown, it is likely that actual mortality figures will differ from projected mortality figures.
    An increase in mortality would reduce our production volumes. However, the magnitude of any
    impact is impossible to predict, as there are a number of unknown factors and unforeseen events
    that can affect mortality. We term a significant increase in the mortality rate at an individual
    seafarm to more than around 30% as a “mortality event”. Such events have occurred during
    previous summers at low flow sites in particular and had a material impact on our production
    volumes. The seafarms at which these events occurred have since been fallowed, are no
    longer expected to be used for year round production or represent a decreasing percentage of
    production volume.
    While insurance is available for certain significant events, it will not provide complete cover for
    losses due to mortality because of policy exclusions, excesses and other limitations.
    We manage this risk by focusing on improving the water flow and water temperature of our
    seafarms, actively monitoring fish health, geographic separation of our facilities, and maintaining
    appropriate netting and other facilities at our seafarms. These steps should reduce the likelihood and
    impact of any disease or predators, as well as being part of our best practice approach.
    In addition, we believe that our breeding program will enable our King salmon to adapt to
    gradual changes in environmental conditions.

Here is the info your after BP, from the Sep 2016 NZK disclosure statement. Not trying to convince you to buy SAN.
    No doubt NZK is like SAN and working on improving their business thats what the discussion is about....
    Last edited by forest; 14-01-2017 at 05:22 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I think one of the biggest issue for any aquaculture company in NZ at present is waterspace and the extreme difficulty in getting more space to grow their business. I can not see any further farms getting through the environmental processes in the Marlborough Sounds. And I agree there shouldn;t be more salmon farming in the Sounds. King Salmon's last application took years and was extremely expensive and only partly successful. SAN has a much more realistic chance to increase their water space in Big Glory Bay where they work overwhelmingly in harmony with the community. This is a difficult issue and despite there being immediate requirement for more protein such as salmon in the market in NZ, the environment has to be our top priority so things need to be done right.

Dilettante

The pink color of salmon flesh, wild or farmed, results from the retention of carotenoids in the
    fish flesh. Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring carotenoid and is the major carotenoid naturally
    found in wild salmon and crustaceans (shrimp, lobsters) and is responsible for their pink-red
    pigmentation.
    Pigments are biological substances that impart color to the tissues of organisms. Carotenoids
    are classed as pigments. Carotenoids are naturally present in the diet of most animals. Apart
    from their natural coloring effects, some have important biological roles.
    Salmon cannot make their own astaxanthin, they consume it via their diet. The wild salmon diet
    includes krill, zooplankton, small fish and crustaceans all of which naturally contain astaxanthin.
    The main source of astaxanthin used by the aquaculture industry is synthesized, yielding a
    molecule that is identical to that found in nature. There is no difference between natural and
    synthetic astaxanthin. Their chemical structures are identical.
    Carotenoids are a naturally occurring group of pigments. More than 600 naturally occurring
    carotenoids have been identified in plants and animals. They are responsible for the colors of
    many fungi, fruits (tomatoes, paprika, citrus fruits), flowers (marigold), insects (ladybirds), birds
    (flamingos), fish (salmon, goldfish) and they produce the colors of the autumn leaves.
    As salmonids are unable to synthesize astaxanthin, they must consume it as part of their diet.
    Astaxanthin is approved for addition to the diet of farmed salmonids, to meet the fish’s nutritional needs. (Source: Skretting, supplier of food for Sanford fish farms)

I will add that Sanford and Skretting are collaborating closely on a possible fin fish feed research station in Okiwi Bay and are hoping to get the green light on it soon.
    Last edited by iceman; 15-01-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Addition

Thanks iceman, comforting to know that more than likely the pigment in salmon (SAN) is nothing to worry.
    The same likely for farmed salmon coming from other companies.

Dilettante

A big pre-open trade this morning. SAN certainly seems to be much more on radar screens for investors recently with a big increase in trading volume and a steadily improving SP.
    A happy holder.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    A big pre-open trade this morning. SAN certainly seems to be much more on radar screens for investors recently with a big increase in trading volume and a steadily improving SP.
    A happy holder.
    The recent improvement in the share price may be as a result of Sanford being included on some of the Standard & Poors NZX based indexes, thus being brought by index tracking funds.

I am interested in knowing the value added achieved for white fish in the transition from chartered Korean rust bucket slave ships to Kiwi factory ships.

If it works out I may celebrate by eating some Big Glory gravlax marinated in South Island whisky.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.