sharetrader
Page 10 of 231 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Biker they were down about 15% against the markets overall being down about 30%.

This URL gives their performance. In Australian $ obviously.

http://www.platinum.com.au/images/web_all.pdf
    Thanks 777. Have you been with Platinum for a while ?
    Last edited by biker; 26-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Guru

Since mid 2003. Swapped in from BT which was a good decision in hindsight.

737 trades so far, usually I double the trades by 1.30 to get an indication of total trades for the day.

With AIA in halt for 4 days could effect trade numbers though, they were second biggest traded stock yesterday.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

(From THE WALL STREET JOURNAL)
    By Peter A. McKay and Kristina Peterson
    Stocks ended a two-day skid as Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's indication that interest rates would remain low outweighed bleak housing data.
    The Dow Jones Industrial Average, which lost 120 points over the previous two sessions, rose 91.75 points, or 0.9%, to 10374.16. Bank of America and J.P. Morgan Chase climbed more than 2% each.
    The Fed chief stressed that the central bank's decision last week to raise the discount rate won't necessarily translate into an increase in the federal-funds rate anytime soon -- a message Wall Street wanted to hear.
    "The concern people have right now is sustainability," of the U.S. recovery, said Michael Farr, president of Farr, Miller & Washington. "The Fed is telling us it has the spigots on and will keep them on."
    The S&P 500 rose 1%, helped by gains in every sector except basic materials, which slipped 0.1%. The financial sector, which is especially sensitive to changes in Fed policy, gained 1.7%.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Advanced Member

Default Still looking good for the 19th..........

Another nice chart Phaedrus - thnx.
    Call me an optimist, but the way I read it is that there's still a lot of upside before the NZSX50 encounters serious resistance. I'd be looking for a head and shoulders pattern (like in 2Q07) before I get bearish. How do you read it?
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Advanced Member

Well Bobcat, I guess only an optimist would post a chart like that - even as a joke!
    How do I read it? Where do I think we are going? I haven't got a clue - and neither has anyone else. In the meantime I like to concentrate on immediate reality, making sure that what I do is congruent with current circumstances. For an overview I apply a lot of different indicators to the Index, but the MSI seems to be as good as any.
    In short, if the plot is Red I am Bearish.
    If the plot is dark green I am Bullish.
    If the plot is any other colour I am very watchful.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Well ... the 9th of March passed with a single comment from STs. How odd that a once in 75 year event that has doubled and trippled some investors net worth should pass without comment. Are those of us in that fortunate position too embarassed to admit it?

Well, not me! ... I sweated blood and pissed tears wondering if I was going to get wiped out. I wasn't. Now I'm gonna give credit to those that have helped me so much!

Thanks to all the bankers that created the mess and made me far richer. You will remain b'stards IMNSHO but I can not deny that, like all disasters where some will benefit from other's misery, I have benefited considerably. Would I rather that it was not so? Yes. But I'll not feel guilty for seizing an opportunity that was not of my making.

Will I see another event like this? I doubt I'll live for another 75 years. But I'm guessing these huge swings are going to occur more frequently than they have in the past. Perhaps even the mild swings of the 7 year cycle will be replaced by far larger swings.

Have a great year folks.
    Dont forget Belg...., that I called the bottom a year ago almost to the day and it has proved to be a good call for me.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Noted. But did you leverage yourself to the hilt and back yourself? And are you now 2-3 times or more richer? ... Easy when you've no skin in the game to crow about how you "called it". ... Or did you put a few bucks in, hedging both ways? ... Far harder to put everything you own (and then some) into the game and then reap the rewards but accept at the same time you could have been wiped into abject poverty!
    No Belg I like every one didnt but I did buy some IFT WA's at .02 and .03 sold at .15 but missed the top of .20 but did also load up with NPX so dont feel too bad, Aussie has also been O K .

Advanced Member

Default Progress Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankiwi View Post
    Only 561 calendar days (if my quick math was correct) remaining till the magic moment.
    592 actually, YK - but who's counting?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankiwi View Post
    I'm guessing we're somewhere near the 20% pa rise trendline.
    We are still running ahead of schedule and above the 20% pa nominal target. Plenty of room for a bit of slippage eh? Right now the Index is exactly in the middle of the +17% / -7% channel.
    Nice.