sharetrader
Page 113 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2310
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Unfortunately you say...
    Moral of the story.....Be careful what you wish for as it may not be in the form you wanted..
    I will never give up wishing for World peace. V.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Um ... Take any of the top 10 countries (excluding NZ of course).

BP - you really should do just a tiny bit of research before posting. It would have taken about 5 minute and you'd not have posted that.
    The UK and USA, the two big English speaking countries we like to compare ourselves to have CGT. They also have non-retirement PEP schemes whereby individuals can receive favourable tax treatent for a certain amount invested each year. CGT should be introduced along with such a scheme in NZ too.

Guru

So are most CGT systems. When an item is turned into cash and that cash amount was more than what was paid, apply a CPI adjustment and then calc a percentage. Oversimplification I know but for most transactions its pretty simple.

It is frightening if, as the ill-informed and/or scare mongers are encouraging you to believe, one assumes the worst case. The reality will be pretty benign although everyone at ST will feel the impacts including me. Actually, if the NZX share comp is anything to go by, this year only about 30% of us will.
    If, as in the UK and US for example, a CGT is introduced along with a Private Equity Plan (PEP) scheme then a certain amount each year would be able to be invested in equities without attracting CGT. So apart from big established investors, many people would be able to reduce the impact of a CGT. However as the Labour Party does not seem to have plans for a PEP scheme and will exempt the family home, it seems to be a flawed scheme.

Um ... Take any of the top 10 countries (excluding NZ of course).

BP - you really should do just a tiny bit of research before posting. It would have taken about 5 minute and you'd not have posted that.
    Belg, I know you like to offend - must be related to this "vote positive" campaign - yeah, right!

If you are however interested in a debate vs the cheap point scoring you now seem to start on this thread as well, than re-read my question. I know that there are lots of countries with much more complicated tax systems than NZ, and most of them feature as well a CGT. Can't however claim that I am aware of any country where the CGT improved the economic well being of its citizens.

So if you mean that I should have spent 5 min more on research - maybe you should have spent 30 seconds in reading my question?

Discl: I will vote positive - and avoid the mud slingers ....

Guru

No taxation system is ever going to be perfect. And to expect a brand new one not to be flawed is shooting for the stars.

That it might be "flawed" isn't really a reason not to be in favour unless its very seriously flawed and one of "flaws" you mention, PEP exemptions, doesn't seem like a biggie to me and may actually be a good thing as it removes complexities. Exemption of the family home does seem like a flaw to me but I'm a purest.

As to the benefits ... click the little blue >> icon in the quote below ...
    If you exempt the family home, I think the absence of an at least partially countering PEP becomes a greater flaw. The absence of a PEP would mean CGT taxation would provide a greater appeal in (over) capitalising in your family home...Simple is not always best and imo it would be better not to have CGT than to introduce a CGT along the lines of the proposed Labour Party scheme.

There are other more complex parts of NZ tax regulations such as the taxation of foreign equity income and financial arrangements. CGT with a PEP would be no more difficult to execute. After all we could draw on the experience of other jurisdictions for that, unlike with the "innovative" FIF and, to an extent, financial arrangements

What is going on in Australia? Is this normal?

I don't look at the Australian Markets at all often these days but is this the general daily look-&-feel of the All Ords top 10 Biggest Gains on any given day compared to NZX?
    Screen captured after close of day trading 19-Aug-2014, both countries.

Attachment 6154

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    What is going on in Australia? Is this normal?
    Aussie has far more small/micro cap stocks than we do. Mostly small mining companies. So a .1 cent change in a company that's only worth .1 cent is a 100% rise. It's not often that you'll see anything worth more than a dollar on that list

Quote Originally Posted by Okebw View Post
    Aussie has far more small/micro cap stocks than we do. Mostly small mining companies. So a .1 cent change in a company that's only worth .1 cent is a 100% rise. It's not often that you'll see anything worth more than a dollar on that list
    Thanks Okebw. Much appreciated.
    All I can say is the list is a complete waste of time to a) Generate and b) Read.

Guru

The NZX50 uptrend has paused.
    For budding TAers a trendless market can be a confusing time..A time when TA indicators whipsaw all over the place and adds fuel for the TA critics.
    I tend to not use my favourite indicators when trendless situations arise..I rely on charting as seen below.

Not all indicators are too sensitive and become unreliable, some indicators can still be a guide and are useful such as Bollinger Bands (not shown on chart) which at this moment have wide boundaries outside the channel boundaries..and money flow indicators e.g OBV showing the money flow into and out of the NZX50..

The NZX50 stopped up trending nearly 4 months ago with negative investor vibes as some stocks within the NZX50 index are having severe corrections...so where is the NZX50 heading?
    At the moment the answer is the NZX50 is going nowhere in particular and is surprisingly not far off its all time high....however there seems to be a very slight downtrend price channel pattern in play which suggests a sharper more defined trend will not present itself until this channel is broken to which more TA indicators become reliable again

Another method to pick which way the NZX50 is heading apart from using price channels is to look at which way the moving averages are moving....As seen on the chart below the EMA50 has in the last 2 weeks started falling which indicates the NZX50 is now in a medium term downtrend
    The EMA200 shows the NZX50 is still in a long term uptrend...

Last edited by Hoop; 25-08-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Banned

It must be like trying to chart the election for all you TA's, who's polling ahead Hoop ?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opin...election-looms