sharetrader
Page 132 of 231 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 2310
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by James108 View Post
    I would love a nice big stock market crash (as long as I keep my job). Who doesn't like buying things when they are cheap?
    Luckily..stock market crashes are very rare events ..they always catch everyone by surprise (black Swan event)... therefore they are very capital destructive and only a few people are able to take advantage of the "cheap" prices....as money has disappeared.

It could be fun though..I would love to see the look on the Bank Managers face on that week of the crash when you stroll in and ask for a loan to buy more shares

So the NZX50 appears to be holding up pretty well today. Pretty much no change from yesterday, and up for the week, while most of the other world markets are all down quite a considerable amount today and this week.

Does this mean NZ is going to be a bit of a safe haven and more overseas investors are going to park their money here due to the strength of our market or are we only holding up due to the impressive reports that have been coming out recently and once the euphoria of these reports wears off is the NZX50 likely to get tarred with the same brush?

Any thoughts and opinions anyone may have will be appreciated.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMorocco View Post
    So the NZX50 appears to be holding up pretty well today. Pretty much no change from yesterday, and up for the week, while most of the other world markets are all down quite a considerable amount today and this week.

Does this mean NZ is going to be a bit of a safe haven and more overseas investors are going to park their money here due to the strength of our market or are we only holding up due to the impressive reports that have been coming out recently and once the euphoria of these reports wears off is the NZX50 likely to get tarred with the same brush?

Any thoughts and opinions anyone may have will be appreciated.
    NZ sharemarket does well when the farming industry is in the crap.Check the correlation

Well Spark is holding up nicely today and doesn't have any exposure to overseas. And the milk products auction rose. And National got a decent poll from Roy Morgan. And the US, the largest economy in the world is growing solidly, and some of the European ones incl the UK and Germany.

There's always some nutters ready to call another Great Depression and sell a few books on the strength of them. Literary history since WW2 is littered with them.

But there could always be a mindless NZ panic tomorrow because it's de rigueur overseas...

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Well Spark is holding up nicely today and doesn't have any exposure to overseas. And the milk products auction rose. And National got a decent poll from Roy Morgan. And the US, the largest economy in the world is growing solidly, and some of the European ones incl the UK and Germany.

There's always some nutters ready to call another Great Depression and sell a few books on the strength of them. Literary history since WW2 is littered with them.

But there could always be a mindless NZ panic tomorrow because it's de rigueur overseas...
    Is the Telegraph,(Conservative supporting) paper also amongst "some nutter"s?? It listed its very real concerns as1 –
    1_China slowdown
    2 – Commodity collapse
    3 – Resource sector credit crisis
    4 – Dominoes begin to fall
    5 – Credit markets roll over
    6 – Interest rate shock
    7 – Bull market third longest on record
    8 – Overvalued US market

There's always going to be some that think all is rosy and there's going to be others that think it's all doom and gloom. I don't have the luxury to call upon experience to help me figure out if we are at the market top and about to go through a correction (I began investing in the sharemarket early 2013, so all's been well so far). Some indicators suggest that yes, we have reached the top and it's all downhill from here, others suggest we may not be at the top yet and have some left to run. No doubt the correction for the NZX50 will come, but I wonder is it going to come right now?

I'm just talking about the NZ scene....you may recall we missed the Asian crisis of the 90s and the Dot.com collapse....

I would say The Telgraph article is spotty and vague - there are some commodities which haven't collapsed e.g. beef and some other farm products, nickel for nickel-ion batteries and I'm sure some people could reel off a whole heap more.

It's journalese rather than economic analysis e.g. "dominoes begin to collapse" is he/she talking about South-East Asia under Communist assault in the 60s and 70's?

"Credit markets roll over" well they do when term is up and refinancing takes place.

"Interest rate shock"? What the shock of being so low? The US is the only place considering an interest rate rise and that now seems less likely if you read around.

"Bull market market third longest on record" in New Zealand!??

"Overvalued US market". About 15? years ago you could wake up, look at what the Dow did last night and know roughly what would happen on the NZ market. Those days are well and truly gone, the NZ market was even totally out of sync with the Australian market today.

I only invest in NZ, the tax complications of investing overseas are too bothersome. So unless the price of copper collapsing because of shorting is going to adversely affect NZ you are shouting Wolf! in the wrong direction.

Oh no Major, another Leftie concerned about the world economy. Hang on, that's no Leftie Its Rupert Murdoch

teAPGd

Rupert Murdoch has warned the health of the global economy is in such a perilous state that there is potential for yet another global financial crisis.
    The billionaire media magnate took to Twitter to voice his concern about the situation facing markets and how some central banks would struggle to bounce back if things worsened.
    "All prices dropping not just shares. Timely correction or sign of major global crisis in near future?" the 84-year-old businessman wrote

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/0...5HtsfBfev8y.99

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Luckily..stock market crashes are very rare events ..they always catch everyone by surprise (black Swan event)... therefore they are very capital destructive and only a few people are able to take advantage of the "cheap" prices....as money has disappeared.

It could be fun though..I would love to see the look on the Bank Managers face on that week of the crash when you stroll in and ask for a loan to buy more shares
    Particularly if they are shares in his bank.!!! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Particularly if they are shares in his bank.!!! lol.
    I wonder what Heartland bank WOULD say to a customer whose stated aim when borrowing money would be to invest in Heartland??