sharetrader
Page 134 of 231 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 2310
    The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    At this stage all look to be on modest ratios,and are paying good dividends,and have the capacity to increase them.
    All have strong balance sheets.
    Agree, NZ companies generally are doing ok. If there's no changes to earnings etc then in theory there's no need to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    the overseas moves are too great to ignore, we can't escape damage come Monday. People take profits to cover losses elsewhere
    Quite right. The interesting thing here being that international diversification is actually causing us a problem when there shouldn't be one, instead of helping. Weird huh.

If buying a share is buying future earnings and if those earnings are stable but the shareprice is discounted because of some events overseas, then surely that's time to buy buy buy...
    Last edited by nextbigthing; 22-08-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Banned

Relax all that money looking for a nice place to park and where better than stable, excellent divvy paying NZ companies. PS- Xerof I don't think Wed will be a good day to buy Air shares unless you want to pay a lot more for them

I am not as experienced in share trading as some people on this forum and bow to some of the technical analysis shown by the likes of Hoop. All depressions which is the likely response from the events that are being played out at this moment need either a trigger- the Cuban missile episode is an example or a CENTRAL bank decision that goes against common sense. The possibility or probability of the raising of the interest rates by the largest central bank the Reserve Bank of America is the case in point. In 1927 they did just that to 5% and this was the main trigger for the subsequent depression. They also prolonged the depression by raising the rate again in 1937 only WW2 pulled the US out. This one is hanging on the cliff as the Federal Reserve who in my view created this bull run only care about two things the Americian job data which has risen above their threshold and the inflation rate. The trigger in my view will be if common sense prevails by the speech by the president J Laker on the 29th of this month on the inflation rate and the subsequent decision on the Feds rate hike at the September meeting. PS It is interesting that NZs M/A 200 line has not been breached, maybe this is because the NZ economy is one of the few that are relatively free of government interference??

Advanced Member

Another huge explosion in China.

This could help the Aussie mining industry via the rebuild of factories.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    Another huge explosion in China.

This could help the Aussie mining industry via the rebuild of factories.
    Yikes a bit soon, eh.

in case the panic merchants are out in the morning my shopping list
    includes nz utilities for the divs
    spark for its div and nz only focus and any other companies with a nz only focus offering divs and value
    portfolio sitting on 30% cash so ready to roll rest of the portfolio is income and value - growth went out 2 mths ago when things looked a bit dodgy
    one step ahead of the herd

The Kid

Been sitting on 60% cash for the last few months now waiting for a decent correction. AIA, EBO, FPH top of my shopping list.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    Been sitting on 60% cash for the last few months now waiting for a decent correction. AIA, EBO, FPH top of my shopping list.
    A correction..yes assuming the 6.5 year old Bull market cycle is still operating...and that could be the million dollar question for some folk.

At the moment (Friday close) the NZX50 is still in a Bull market cycle in a 6 month pause mode (near rectangle pattern) near its Early August top (record high)...

In technical terms this shouldn't be a worry (an uptrend pause (breather) is normally a bullish scenario) but due this extended pause the 5700 support, MA200 and NZX50 index itself are closing in together is creating increasing risk.. then we have overseas equity market bear signs creeping in adding more risk.

So why jump into an old bull market at a time of uncertainty....Many folk on ST forum seem to lack patience and climb aboard at a hint of weakness (or seduced by the good Divvys) with the assumption this NZ market is going to continue upward as it always has...This is one type of Russian Roulette investing I don't do at this mature stage of the Bull market cycle.

Each to their own...
    Last edited by Hoop; 23-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Good points KW. How will NZX perform on monday. It could go either way. There could be a ton of $$$ hunting for a "safe haven" or there could be a very sharp selloff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Oh no Major, another Leftie concerned about the world economy. Hang on, that's no Leftie Its Rupert Murdoch

teAPGd

Rupert Murdoch has warned the health of the global economy is in such a perilous state that there is potential for yet another global financial crisis.
    The billionaire media magnate took to Twitter to voice his concern about the situation facing markets and how some central banks would struggle to bounce back if things worsened.
    "All prices dropping not just shares. Timely correction or sign of major global crisis in near future?" the 84-year-old businessman wrote

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/0...5HtsfBfev8y.99
    A few points of interest Sgt Pepper - (a) I was discussing the NZ situation and I specified that (b) Murdoch was talking about the global situation (c) Murdoch is no economist, he may have a conceded pass in the Economics 1 of an accounting qualification but I somewhat doubt it (d) he's 84 (e) his empire is now visibly failing.