sharetrader
Page 219 of 231 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2310

Feeling like its been a brutal January for your portfolio ? You're not alone I can assure you. I have crunched the numbers and the NZX50 is down exactly 10% from 5 January 2021 to date.

If you've lost less than 10% this year you're beating the market. This is by far the toughest start to a year I can recall.

Please remember to take the time to look after your physical and mental health during these tough times. Recent research I have read suggests that even a brief 20 minute walk in nature makes a meaningful difference to your physical and mental health.

I am trying to get four to five 45 minute walks a week through and around a local park and feeling a lot better for it. Lost 3 kg's this month doing it and eating healthier...only another 20 kg's to go lol
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-01-2022 at 05:15 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Nice one beagle bit of exercise always helps the mental health and mood

Well said Beagle, be a lot of new investors out there that have never experienced anything like this including whats going to happen with interest rates over the next 18 months. I hope they haven't gone "All In" thinking this is easy money. Nothing easy about investing for your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Feeling like its been a brutal January for your portfolio ? You're not alone I can assure you. I have crunched the numbers and the NZX50 is down exactly 10% from 5 January 2021 to date.

If you've lost less than 10% this year you're beating the market. This is by far the toughest start to a year I can recall.

Please remember to take the time to look after your physical and mental health during these tough times. Recent research I have read suggests that even a brief 20 minute walk in nature makes a meaningful difference to your physical and mental health.

I am trying to get four to five 45 minute walks a week through and around a local park and feeling a lot better for it. Lost 3 kg's this month doing it and eating healthier...only another 20 kg's to go lol
    Jeez, now you spoiled my afternoon. Normally I do the accounts only end of month and would have had another couple of days with this nice fluffy feeling from end of last year (which was with +23.1% the fourth best year since I started to measure my results in 2005).

Anyway - my spreadsheet says 8.9% down since 31/12. So, this is what beating the market looks like?

Still - for some funny reason I don't feel too concerned, even if my spreadsheet tells me that if we continue with this "earnings" progress, I've lost it all prior to the end of the year. Spreadsheets are not always right :

Agree however that its good to do some exercise - I feel much better since I re-started a daily routine - no matter whether the markets are up or down ; Highly recommended!

Obviously - if you buy any necessary gear either from Torpedo 7 or Kathmandu (discl: hold both , than this adds as well to my financial health, but anyway - just move these old bones ... it is good.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 29-01-2022 at 06:35 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

percy

I expect the capital value of my portfolio at the end of the year will be up,down, or the same.
    My dividend income should be well up on last year's.I expect SFF [unlisted] and HGH to pay increasing divies,while GNE and SPK should be the same,and adding more SEK and some STU will add to the divie stream.DGC will most probably pay a divie too.
    A few Aussie small cap companies divies,ACF,ADA JYC,PTB,SEQ,SHM,SSG,and XRF,will be the icing on the divie cake.
    As always the portfolio will be driven by a company's result.Good result I keep and possibly add more.Poor result I sell.
    If I am unsure I usually give the company a bit more time,if the reasons I bought in remain the same.
    Last edited by percy; 29-01-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Yeah...BP...this is what it looks like to beat the market in January...I'm so "happy"
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0...as you can probably tell I also updated my spreadsheet today.

I think a good walk gives you perspective. Its only some of last years gains going down a rat hole...maybe they'll come back...maybe they won't, time will tell.
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-01-2022 at 08:00 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

You can add leverage though.. such as through some ETFs like GGUS.

My portfolio is only down 4.5% YTD. Glad I didn't go through the fuss of selling up and moving to cash

(famous last words)

Market started the year at 13,060 and closed today at 12,413. Now down almost exactly 5% year to date so that's a pretty useful rebound so far in February off the January low when it was down almost 10% at one point.

Investments

Shane Solly has put it very correctly while sharing Guru Listers views ....We went big down in Jan ...now onwards it will be slow grind up with two steps forward and one back at a time . Today is step back time after retracing almost 5% back from 10% drop .

Inflation and rates will be dominant themes for the year but as rising rates reduces valuations similarly rising inflation increases replacement costs too thus making the businesses look cheaper . Rising rates also means economies are running hot ...in such cases stocks are not a bad place to be .

I still think we will end year much higher on index then from here . My pick is close to 14000