sharetrader
Page 47 of 231 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    God one moosie .....your dad probably a fascinating character.

Maths was my major when I was at varsity but that was zones ago. No not a masters like your dad. Because one had to learn it it wasn't much fun

But as time has gone on I can appreciate that much of what i learnt did have some real life meaning.

It is amazing how maths, physics,ecology and even botany do explain how a how a lot of things turn out in business and the share market.

My favourite economist is Paul Ormerod who has written a few good books. One you might enjoy is Why Most Things Fail. An easy read but really fascinating
    Thanks winner69.
    I have it placed on hold at ChCh City Libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Thanks winner69.
    I have it placed on hold at ChCh City Libraries.
    I'm sure you will enjoy it

On a flight to Oz again in a day or to so will take with me and have another read .... a real book and not the iPad version

moosie - another concept i find fascinating is Economic Singularity

Singularity was originally a mathematical term for a point at which an equation has no solution. In physics, it was proven that a large enough collapsing star would eventually become a black hole so dense that its own gravity would cause a singularity in the fabric of spacetime, a point where many standard physics equations suddenly have no solution

Economic singularity in commercial terms is a state where unless things are done differently the entity will become irrelevant and fall into a ‘black hole’. done differently essentially when a business model is broken and to survivr (ie avoid going into thta 'black hole' one needs to refresh their business model and do things differently.

I have a glass sculptor on my desk at work just to remind me of this concept .... cause it is amazing how many companies have collapsed into that 'black hole'

Vivid imagination eh but thought provoking none the less

Thats almost what the VIX is saying .... options are priced to reflect a +/- 4.7% over the next 30 days

Ooops it is also saying the S&P could go UP 4.7% as well as down

Whatever VIX is still at pretty low levels and is way of any panic territory .... its all honky dory onthe western front

you worry too much moosie

concentrate on your day job

Ok so what happened in Jan 2010? And is that comparison of NZX to ASX correct?
    NZX Ltd (NZX.NZ)

Technical Analysis Get Technical Analysis Chart(s) for:
    NZX Limited Ordinary Shares (NZSE)
    Range: 1d 5d 1m 3m 6m 1y 2y 5y max Type: Bar | Line | Candle Scale: Linear | Log Size: M | L
    Moving Avg: 5 | 10 | 20 | 50 | 100 | 200 EMA: 5 | 10 | 20 | 50 | 100 | 200
    Indicators: MACD | MFI | ROC | RSI | Slow Stoch | Fast Stoch | Vol | Vol+MA | W%R
    Compare: NZX.NZ vs

ahhaaa. Thanks..you can tell I'm not a "chart tart"
    Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    You're comparing the stock, NZX, to the index, ASX (so apples with pomegranates). It appears there were two share consolidations in December '09 and mid-year '12 for NZX.

Told my partner to invest in the growth fund of ANZ's Kiwisaver scheme yesterday when we were at the bank. She opted for the conservative (2nd lowest risk one). She is now regretting it lol.
    Yeah, what is that about. I have the same problem with my partner. She calls me the hare while she is the tortoise. I just hope I don't spend my whole retirement listening to I-told-you-so's.

(Hares, tortoises, bulls, bears, and flamingos - think I might go to the zoo this weekend )

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Smile Equality is a Myth

lol, males are much more risk-on than females. We are the XRO's and DIL's of the world while they are the FBU's and TEL's. It helps that we are financially well versed, know ALL our options and quickly change to suit our environment as investors though. Each to their own really.
    And there is a reasonable body of evidence (which you will have to find yourself I can not remember the links) that generally Women are more successful at making money in the stock market than Men, probably for precisely the reasons you outline above.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Admit it. How many of us got very little work done today because the market was much more exciting than their boring day-to-day?
    <Sheepishly raises hand>

Mind you most days the market is more interesting than my day job.