sharetrader
Page 67 of 231 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    May I also thank "posters" for sharing their experience and thoughts with excellent posts.
    I feel companies like EBO,FPH , HNZ, POT with growing earnings and prospect of higher dividends are safe havens.
    Companies in the retirement sector RYM and SUM, have an ageing population, which will give them tail winds for a number of years.
    TUA and AWF both have strong balance sheets and are well run.
    So these companies, should there be weakness, will recover very quickly.
    Others that I hold,ABA, AIA,PGW ,SKC ,SKL, SKT I don't know?My holdings in unlisted REL,PAZ and not listed Trutest will be interesting as will estaronline.com.
    "Well positioned?"

Percy, I find that unless you have conviction in your selection, it is easy to sell when the going gets tough. Why are you holding if you don't know why?

Also, you seem well diversified. So much so, i wonder how your returns compare to the nzx 50? May as well buy the index?

Good luck

percy

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Percy, I find that unless you have conviction in your selection, it is easy to sell when the going gets tough. Why are you holding if you don't know why?

Also, you seem well diversified. So much so, i wonder how your returns compare to the nzx 50? May as well buy the index?

Good luck
    I lost my convictions and my shirt in GFC,by holding large positions in EBO[did well], while SCY halved,and PGC and NPX had to recap.
    What I did learn was not to hold too few stocks. Stocks held should have strong balance sheets,and be in a position to incease dividends.
    Well last year I certainly out performed the NZX 50,and I think all funds.You may have noted I came second in Aussie competition last year with 140% or more with companies I held.
    My hobby is the sharemarket,so index would be no fun at all.Don't knows, may be changed to I am almost certain? SKT a week ago was a strong hold.Today SP under pressure,yet yield is over 10% and SKY will lose few subscribers,yet business model is weakened.Now a strong watch!
    I also hold a wide portfolio of small cap Aussie companies.Not a lot of money in any one company, although the way some have performed they are getting sizable.
    Last edited by percy; 22-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I lost my convictions and my shirt in GFC,by holding large positions in EBO[did well], while SCY halved,and PGC and NPX had to recap.
    What I did learn was not to hold too few stocks. Stocks held should have strong balance sheets,and be in a position to incease dividends.
    Well last year I certainly out performed the NZX 50,and I think all funds.You may have noted I came second in Aussie competition last year with 140% or more with companies I held.
    My hobby is the sharemarket,so index would be no fun at all.Don't knows, may be changed to I am almost certain? SKT a week ago was a strong hold.Today SP under pressure,yet yield is over 10% and SKY will lose few subscribers,yet business model is weakened.Now a strong watch!
    I also hold a wide portfolio of small cap Aussie companies.Not a lot of money in any one company, although the way some have performed they are getting sizable.
    Arr, it appears you definitely a buy and holder. Well done on your achievements so far. I note you still have SKL. I would have sold that after the first profit warning. But i think this stock should now benefit from the drop in currency.

I think HNZ Is now the cheapest stock on the exchange. All others seem expensive (or at least not cheap) and prone to drop if there are further market corrections.

percy

SKL.Brought at a lot lower SP than today.The reasons I am holding are:
    1/ strong board with skin in the game.
    2/David Mair appears to be a fantastic CEO.
    3/Paying a good dividend.
    4/Very little debt.
    5/Slow down with pumps and liners will recover.
    6/Building a new factory.[Old one is as old as the hills].
    7/New factory will have all new machinery.So I expect staff and general cost savings.
    If I sold I may get my timing wrong buying back in.
    HNZ.We agree.Next year's fully imputed 6cents divie is going to drive the SP.Would any funds manager hold HNZ,or would it be in any index?Not a bad hobby to have?
    Last edited by percy; 22-06-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

It is great having a hobby that makes you money. Hnz will be on fund managers radars soon.

... correct me if I'm wrong, this is more of a contemplation than a reality but it would be good to get an idea of whether this is likely from someone with experience.

Are we likely to see (or are already seeing) an exodus of international investment in equities now that our dollar is falling (cash out of high NZ dollar while it's still strong), and a buy-back when it looks to have rested at its low - using the stronger relative position of the fallen NZ dollar to reinvest in the markets??

I guess there's no real questions in here, more - is this a factor with the falling markets, and an equities revival point when the dollar stabilises at its low?
    Last edited by Mista_Trix; 24-06-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Guru

Terry Hall's article
    Currency speculators pull claws out of kiwi

Remember this thought though... the TA dollar watchers began seeing this drop at the beginning of May... 8 weeks ago!!! The media is late in picking this up......cashing up Equities (property??), switching currencies so not to be exposed to the possible invisible double whammy seemed a good idea last month and makes perfect investment sense for everyone ..huh ..but the downunder currencies drop broke TA support so now the smart stay away and away we go in a currency downtrend

But hey what you don't see doesn't hurt you...right?
    Last edited by Hoop; 24-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.

An interesting day for NZX, DJI fell last night, China down 5.3% due to tighten policy.

NZX seems to have less implications by those overseas market and walking alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 000831 View Post
    An interesting day for NZX, DJI fell last night, China down 5.3% due to tighten policy.

NZX seems to have less implications by those overseas market and walking alone.
    nzx following asx more than any other market , but falls are not as great
    one step ahead of the herd