sharetrader

Default Tax: Aust Dividends with 'NZ imputation credits'

When Australian dividends have Franking credits, New Zealanders cannot claim these, so it is money down the drain. (It feels like insult after injury, having to pay tax on a dividend that the ausi IRD have already taxed.)

The IRD website says that some Australian companies have 'NZ imputation credits', and that this will be stated on their dividend document.

So we are looking for Australian dividend-paying companies that either do not deduct franking, or deduct 'NZ imputation credits'.

I have never seen any.
    Does anyone know of any such companies?
    Or a way of finding out?

(Obviously someone is going to suggest avoiding dividend-paying ausi companies, and I do, but I would like to have some conservative investments too (like BHP,WOW,WPL etc) without throwing one third of income out the window.)

Thanks, ToBo

First of all they need NZ shareholders ..... then NZ earnings to apply NZ commutation credits

Even if they wanted to it all seems to hard (and expensive) for most Aussie companies to go theough the process

I haven't come across any that do but never gone looking speciifcally to see who does .....maybe the likes of WBC do .... anybody know

The other way around is a different story .. some NZ listed companies go out of there way to ensure Aussie shareholders are not penalised

Suppose we are to small to care about

Just received WBC dividend last week, no NZ imputation credit on it.

I have seen this occur, some time ago though, racking my brains and I think it might have been Baycorp, can't recall any that do so currently.

Have a good look at each dividend statement though, it will be marked on it if there is one.

NAB is one that has paid div's with NZ Imp Cr's attached
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    NAB is one that has paid div's with NZ Imp Cr's attached
    Yes, but unfortunately not the latest one, paid last Friday, 9 July.

It may be an annual thing with them, paid with the final div after the annual accounts are finalised.
    Last edited by macduffy; 12-07-2009 at 08:36 AM.