sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool

Any other points ...

Lack of early morning and late evening flights and travel time to IVC airport ??
    -sorry can't help jetstar is flying here so should be more opts pay to call

Any idea when the new primary school at Frankton will be opening ??
    -2010 don't know exact date

Is Jack's Point fundamentally flawed or just suffering like rest of market ??
    -Have heard the golf course is world class(hoping to play there soon)
    -sections have finally come down to more realistic levels
    -As jacks point is located with the remarks on their east side they don't get real good sun till late morning then lose it during summer late.
    -Can be bit windy exposed to the south

Is Butel Park a realistic option ??
    -Not unless your a polar bear
    -or you want to be hit with a large bill to fix the leaking pool

-In all honestly an IMHO for round 700k

-kelvin heights lake views great all day sun at least 700k for an older average house

-Quail rise & Arthurs point great locations good morning sun not so good for late day sun in summer,low wind,nice quite areas closer to amenities

-Arrowtown-older area,good school area,can be a bit more expensive homes $ to Quality
    Bad air Quality during winter,further south the better

-Lake hayes est.-great all day sun,localised north of the remarks south side of the valley
    great air Quality(no solid fuels allowed)family friendly area,good value for homes 700k will get you 250sqm+ new home 1000sqm+ section-can be colder during winter overnight(closer you are to the lake the better) higher wind during spring summer,no amenities yet!!!

-Frankton-great sun,close to amenties,older area,bit expensive for decent house,no sections.

-As for the other areas-Queenstown CBD,Hill,central,fernhill,sunshine,wilsons bay,frankton road-great for views nice in summer forget it if you like the sun an flat sections.

More opinions would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by funguspudding View Post
    I have owned 2 properties in Queenstown over the years, and observed the ups and downs for decades. It is speculator driven and does not behave like most real estate markets which are usually underpinned by genuine owner occupiers. Same applies to Florida, Surfers paradise, Aspin, and many other holiday resorts. When QT goes dead - it really goes dead, not just quiet. It will happen again, but it's not there yet. Be prepared to rent for a while and study the market. You'll find a bargain, it's definitely a place where the odd desperado has to 'meet the market' on the day - but you'll never build a bargain.
    -but you'll never build a bargain.[/QUOTE]

-I don't know about that Fung am planning on building my 5th house here soon it's really the best way to get what you want (big garage for me)cost wise I've been talking with golden homes & platiunum both will build round $1200sqm here if you build big 300sqm+ Of course thats pretty basic still $1300-$1400 on a flat section be a nice house.
    Of course if your talking of building on the side of a rock yeah don't build.

-If you do build here GGG make sure you get a big garage it's one thing that 99% of houses here don't have..

-GGG If you do make it down feel free to PM me aways keen for a game..
    Last edited by JBmurc; 13-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

slow learner

IMHO I still think there is plenty of down side in Queenstown.....I lived there for 16 years and love the place.....historically when large projects finish and the trades leave town the place goes real quite. All the commercial projects are finishing in the next year......Mountaineer, downtown carpark, post office & Kawarau falls etc......Rent for a year to check out all four seasons to get a good idea were you want to live.....After a year the real bargains will start to appear!...Plus it's much better place to live when it's gets a little quieter....Once you have ski'ed the secret chute alone you know you are home

Thanks for all the feedback ... we are leaning towards building our own house. I'd like Jack's Point cos of all the hiking trails and mountain biking plus the fantastic golf course and free membership. Sounds like the sun is OK but possibly lose it quite early in summer ... also may be able to get one of the sections for <$260,000 which would have been unthinkable 18mths ago.

Had the agent up here in Auckland on phone this morning , will be coming round this evening to present offer on our house. Looks like it might all come together, still long way to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by Financially dependant View Post
    IMHO I still think there is plenty of down side in Queenstown.....I lived there for 16 years and love the place.....historically when large projects finish and the trades leave town the place goes real quite. All the commercial projects are finishing in the next year......Mountaineer, downtown carpark, post office & Kawarau falls etc......Rent for a year to check out all four seasons to get a good idea were you want to live.....After a year the real bargains will start to appear!...Plus it's much better place to live when it's gets a little quieter....Once you have ski'ed the secret chute alone you know you are home
    Yes an no IMHO residential family homes here in good sunning spots are very far an few between as the spec building of these type of homes has become very quite a few years ago,I remember 3yrs ago having to sell my new spec house in Kelvin heights for 100k under R.V which was under well under replacement cost to build was only lucky I got the section real cheap..(thing is I was lucky I sold as it's only got harder till recently)
    Talk to the couple honest agents here and they will say how few decent listing they have on the books..penalty units,apartment's,old cold homes which will get cheaper though.

Queenstown property as a whole is a small market when you compare it to the NZ baby boomers looking at retiring round the southern area..so few prime cheap sunning spots left outside Jacks point..

off topic-
    over heard a ASB manager talking on the phone today when I waiting to do some banking
    she was complaining how they couldn't keep up with the cash in their ATM with some 100k per day being withdraw stating it was the busiest in NZ

I know we have the busiest BP in NZ

Time will tell if the mass slow-down in big projects will push prime property down

Default Could be all on

Could have a sale up here ....

Better price up a few Icebreaker threads, its fairly chilly down there at the moment.

Yep, I see from the TVNZ weather each night its about -5 o/n and upto +5 during the day. I have plenty of icebreaker from my days living in Blenheim ... a bit of ice is a small price to pay as long as the sky is clear blue all day.

Nice move on the Aussie stockmarket today! Go WPL and BHP!!

Sale all un-conditional up here ... $100,000 profit , private sale. Not bad considering we only bgt it in April.

Wife was in Queenstown yesterday , very impressed with Jacks Point .... however we have decided to move to Nelson and have purchased this morning at $559,000 , asking was $629,000 so we feel we did well. In Tasman Heights with the most spectacular views of Golden Bay and the NW Nelson Ranges.

Reports from agents say the Nelson market above $400k is slow ( hence why felt we could we bargain hard ) but below that is flying with a serious lack of stock in the $300-$375k range.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Gold Guru View Post
    Sale all un-conditional up here ... $100,000 profit , private sale. Not bad considering we only bgt it in April.

Wife was in Queenstown yesterday , very impressed with Jacks Point .... however we have decided to move to Nelson and have purchased this morning at $559,000 , asking was $629,000 so we feel we did well. In Tasman Heights with the most spectacular views of Golden Bay and the NW Nelson Ranges.

Reports from agents say the Nelson market above $400k is slow ( hence why felt we could we bargain hard ) but below that is flying with a serious lack of stock in the $300-$375k range.
    Very good was actually looking on trademe for 4-5brm Queenstown homes 600k-1.2m wasn't very many decent newish propertys you certainly would get much for 559k here in a sunny area

I think if we couldn't live here we certainly would like to live in the nelson region