sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Margin Lending

I’m a relatively safe investor. Pretty much only touch companies I know about and defiantly a fundamentalist. I very rarely take profits out and rather long term growth.

Anyway, over the past 3-4 months these safe investments have me about 35% up (SKC, NPX, RYM, PPL, XRO), yet my gains are pretty minimal as I have very little free cash to wing into them. Even though my returns are quite nice in proportion to my buying – I still feel I’m shooting my self in the foot, or leaving too much $$ on the table.

Being the safe guy, I still can’t really believe I’m considering this – but lately I’ve really been checking out some Margin lending (through ASB).. Even if I reinvested a large chunk of leverage into the same stocks listed above, they would only need to return half of what they have over a year, to validate the lending.

Thoughts on this? For the experienced investors out there, how did you control your first taste of decent gains on low outlays? I’m assuming a lot of people have got to hungry and burnt those selves not long after. That is my worry.

Tax – I realise there a lots of traders on this forum, hence are in the business of trading and pay tax on gains. I’m assuming you guys are all over the lending side of things as you can deduct the interest costs.

Even if you’re an investor, does margin trading lure you into paying tax on eventual gains? As the sole reason one leverages is to “Increase profits”..

Any opinions on anything related to this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by buns View Post
    I’m a relatively safe investor. Pretty much only touch companies I know about and defiantly a fundamentalist. I very rarely take profits out and rather long term growth.

Anyway, over the past 3-4 months these safe investments have me about 35% up (SKC, NPX, RYM, PPL, XRO), yet my gains are pretty minimal as I have very little free cash to wing into them. Even though my returns are quite nice in proportion to my buying – I still feel I’m shooting my self in the foot, or leaving too much $$ on the table.

Being the safe guy, I still can’t really believe I’m considering this – but lately I’ve really been checking out some Margin lending (through ASB).. Even if I reinvested a large chunk of leverage into the same stocks listed above, they would only need to return half of what they have over a year, to validate the lending.

Thoughts on this? For the experienced investors out there, how did you control your first taste of decent gains on low outlays? I’m assuming a lot of people have got to hungry and burnt those selves not long after. That is my worry.

Tax – I realise there a lots of traders on this forum, hence are in the business of trading and pay tax on gains. I’m assuming you guys are all over the lending side of things as you can deduct the interest costs.

Even if you’re an investor, does margin trading lure you into paying tax on eventual gains? As the sole reason one leverages is to “Increase profits”..

I use margin lending when the market outlook generally looks good.

As i'm using a form of leverage myself, i wouldn't invest in companies with debt (that's a no-no!), ie borrowing to invest in a company that's also borrowing. But most "wealthy" people get rich off other peoples money!

Margin lending magnifies your returns (& losses), so you do need a certain level of risk tolerance, & you do need to use stop losses/trailing stops.

You must protect your capital!

Margin lending costs, interest + loan fees are deductible if you're a trader.

But simply using margin lending does not constitute trading itself.

If you have other funds available to add to your margin lending a/c, or regularly put funds into the market then this could be for you.

My experiences are from both ends of the spectrum, i've made alot of money on some margin lending stocks, & have also had nasty margin calls.

I'm not currently using margin lending (although BPT is covered @ 60%), so i could use my holding to access additional capital.

I'm not in buying mode at present & have reduced my exposure to oil, by selling down some BPT & OEL, i believe we have a "correction" coming.

Something you can also do it put your existing stocks into a margin lending a/c which will give you access to additional capital.

I'm with ASB Sec myself, & have compiled a filter of all ASX margin lending stocks, looking for undervalued companies & those with chart reversals.

Generally the margin lending stocks are big enough to be in the main indices & therefore provide enough liquidity & are very tradeable.

Keep us up to date on how you go

Hi Buns
    Mmmm,
    Never have and never will.
    I wonder how many safe investors on margin have lost their shirts in the last year?

Thanks for your comments guys, quite handy. Quite a range of opinions – always good.

AA I also don't understand your logic. It kind of sounds like you are mixing in 2 definations of 'leverage' And your advice doesn’t really align to my portfolio either- longer term, easy to understand companies. Options related to some speculative gas in the ground from Mexico to stock pile in China doesn’t fit the bill.

Belgarion - I pretty much agree with you except the "near the bottom". Boy I would want to be 100% sure of the bottom before I leveraged. Remember I'm not a big chart guy so I wouldn’t pick the bottom through TA (golden crosses), hence you probably started leveraging a few months ago when those signs appeared, I'm just starting to look now as the good news stories arise and my current PF is trending up. I'm happy to pass up those gains for a more "sure thing" investment around now.

The reason that got me thinking about leveraging was - when was the last time interest rates were this low, in a bullish market? I haven’t even checked a margin lending rate but I'm assuming they are lower than normal, making margin lending more attractive?

Also, scanning the NZX right now. All your nice gainers (which don't seem to be finished) are paying nice Dividends, PPL, SKC, RYM.

Quote Originally Posted by buns View Post

Buns

I have used margin trading/borrowing over the last 12months and as it is now playing out on the market, quite successfully.

Example: Bought FBU March/April in the mid $5 range and sold out last Thursday in the mid $7 range. In that time bought in on the SPP and had a dividend payout that more than covered my interest charges.

From that example I think you can see that Margin borrowing can be a winner......... I would not leverage to the hilt where you can get margin calls regularly.

I am buying solid companies that have cash and are paying dividends and will continue to do so.

Even though I have taken a chunk of my money off the table with FBU, I think/hope I will have a buy back opportunity soon.

Leverage with options.
    Let's take last Monday as an example: -
    PRC 1.13 low
    PRCOA 25.5
    If you thought it was going to rise. Tuesday highs: -
    PRC 1.19 ... 5.3%
    PRCOA 28.5 ... 11.7% rise
    Today: -
    PRC 1.17 - 3.5%
    PRCOA 26.9 - 5.5%
    The secret of eternal youth is arrested development.

another way to leverage is to buy self funding warrants on the aussie market.
    There are many long term ones up to 10 years. The dividends pay off the interest. Info on the asx.

The problems with Margin Lending are:
    - All the (overvalued?) blue chips are covered. Most undervalued small caps are not covered. It is dangerous to buy a share on a P/E of 20 (5% earnings yield) and paying 10% interest. In such a case you are relying on improved future profits and we all know how unpredictable the future is. If you rely on the share price increasing (i.e. bigger fool theory) then good luck.
    - Banks tend to lower the LVR ratios precisely at the bottom of the market which means that you may be forced to sell precisely at the bottom knowing that you're selling undervalued shares.
    - Margin Loans was a good idea in March. Higher share prices means higher risk. I know it is becoming a cliche but buy in fear, sell in times of greed. The fear in the markets are over.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    In my "investor" accounts, I've never claimed the interest as an expense as this would expose my capital gains to tax.
    Why not and why. You are earning taxable dividends so your interest expense is deductible. Your capital gain still wont be taxable as it is in your investor account (assuming it truly is an investor account).

Replace shares with houses and dividends with rent and you will understand that you have made a mistake.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Why not and why. You are earning taxable dividends so your interest expense is deductible. Your capital gain still wont be taxable as it is in your investor account (assuming it truly is an investor account).

Replace shares with houses and dividends with rent and you will understand that you have made a mistake.
    CJ

You'll find that Belg is right, you can't claim the interest expense, on just the basis that the dividend is taxable.

By claiming such a deduction exposes your capital gains to tax.

Belg is avoiding any "tainting", & quite frankly i wouldn't run the risk of having the IRD question any deductions.