sharetrader
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by RRR View Post
    Thanks for the good advice Percy. I did look at the competition and most of the portfolios are speculative!! I am a newbie still and don't have the experience which many of the posters in this forum have. My aim was to purchase shares on margin and pay it off in full from my income within 6-12 months-i can easily do that if i am borrowing only 10-20K. I would buy only stocks with good and reasonably stable dividend yield.

May be i should wait!!
    No.Just take your time,involve your wife , and buy 1 share every couple of months.Buy say $2,000 worth.That way you are doing it out of earnings.Each share you buy ,buy it with the view you are going to hold it for 10years or more.You choose 1 and next one is your wife's choice.both of you have to write down what the company does,will it pay you a dividend and where you see the company going and your reason for buying it.keep a note book and you can refer to it later to see if the reasons still hold true.Sometimes you buy a good share,you are right but the price goes down and if you have it on margin you have to sell.Owning it outright gives you finnancial independence which I think it is all about.Should you find you have 4 out of 5 right in a year's time,then you could look at margin.
    l
    Last edited by percy; 24-07-2010 at 09:18 PM.

After much thought, decided against using margin. Already has enough leverage using revolving credit home loan. I will stick to regular investing and have been doing that ever since i started investing. I think I was becoming greedy!! Not good. Thanks once again Percy.

Pretty sure I posted a similar thread to this a while back, when I was fresh to the whole idea of lending to invest.

Looking back, I'm stoked I never touched it. I thought it was the perfect time, interest rates were low and it seemed the recovery was in full swing. Well we still haven't 'swung', I would have been hit with margin calls and pretty much every share I was thinking about.

I think it's just a patience thing. To eager to get in and get off to a quick start, thinking you don't have enough $$ to compound up into some nice sums.

I'm learning every day, but the big thing I've got better with over the last year is patience. If you can't be patient enough, and just work on building up your own capital, I think the chances of you being patient on any shareholdings is minimal.

Bruce covers both of these topics in his latest entry - http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/blog...-concentration

The guy knows a whole lot more than me, but if you are new to his blogs, read them with care. He's a smart chap, however conjures up some Farley bizarre ideas. I personally think the guy is a knob end, some of his questions he comes up with at AGM's are totally pointless, but he turns them into big deals and then asks other shareholders to follow them, and raise there voice. He seems to go out of his way to be negative towards everything. Will leave it there..

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by buns View Post
    Pretty sure I posted a similar thread to this a while back, when I was fresh to the whole idea of lending to invest.

Looking back, I'm stoked I never touched it. I thought it was the perfect time, interest rates were low and it seemed the recovery was in full swing. Well we still haven't 'swung', I would have been hit with margin calls and pretty much every share I was thinking about.

I think it's just a patience thing. To eager to get in and get off to a quick start, thinking you don't have enough $$ to compound up into some nice sums.

I'm learning every day, but the big thing I've got better with over the last year is patience. If you can't be patient enough, and just work on building up your own capital, I think the chances of you being patient on any shareholdings is minimal.

Bruce covers both of these topics in his latest entry - http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/blog...-concentration

The guy knows a whole lot more than me, but if you are new to his blogs, read them with care. He's a smart chap, however conjures up some Farley bizarre ideas. I personally think the guy is a knob end, some of his questions he comes up with at AGM's are totally pointless, but he turns them into big deals and then asks other shareholders to follow them, and raise there voice. He seems to go out of his way to be negative towards everything. Will leave it there..
    Well it's all a reason why you would only purchase when you had a margin of safety but that is a Graham concept that probably goes beyond Bruce.
    Last edited by h2so4; 21-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    h2

percy

Quote Originally Posted by buns View Post

Buns,great post.I think we all react to the pressure of debt differently.To some it is great motivation,to others it leads to depression.A few years ago Postie Plus appointed Ron Boswell as chief executive,replacing consevative accountant trouble shooter Paul Young.Young is a dow man.Boswell had a good retail CV working in Aussie.Man can he talk the talk.I read what he said and thought this company is in a strong finnacial position and Boswell will achieve great things.I was not alone thinking this,and noted Salvus Investments brought a large parcel at this time.I brought 49.000 shares at just over $1 and had considered the investment was so compelling I considered buying 200,000 on margin.As I have no borrowings it was only stubborn pride that stopped me going a asking for a loan.Well the long and short of it was Boswell could not walk on water,{in fact he had trouble passing water}and I sold out at 90 odd cents loosing $10,000.
    I hate to think what I would have lost on margin.I noted Salvus also sold out.Postie Plus shares are about 33cents now.The other time I looked at margin I had 10,000 PGC shares worth approx $4 at the time. At the AGM the chairman spoke very positively,so I rang Marac{owned by PGC]and asked to borrow enough to buy an other 10,000 shares using my shares and the extra ones as security.No way they would not do it.Yes PGC shares did double.