sharetrader
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default making money on the way down

Thanks to all posters on this thread, great stuff.

on a similar but related topic to both lines of enquiry in here viz
    1. protecting profits/stopping losses
    and
    2. be in on rising markets - trade to miss the downturns

can I add
    3. How do you practically and proactively make money on the way down, on NZX and ASX?

I get that at the top, into cash, at the bottom, into shares ...

but say I analyse, or simply feel in my bones, that a stock, any stock, pick one, will halve over the next 6 months. is it only the big fish who can sell short, who make money while the sun isnt shining?

btw, i use nat bank, thinking of going asb on basis of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by shawsie View Post
    Thanks to all posters on this thread, great stuff.

on a similar but related topic to both lines of enquiry in here viz
    1. protecting profits/stopping losses
    and Stop losses do not protect profits, they protect your capital from reducing your exposure to further losses. trailing stops help you lock in profits. These are 2 distinctly different things.
    2. be in on rising markets - trade to miss the downturns
    You need only track the main indices, if they are trending up, then so is the market!

can I add
    3. How do you practically and proactively make money on the way down, on NZX and ASX? Making money on the way down, you must be referring to "shorting", thats one tool, remember not all sectors go down at the saem time, something is always going up!

I get that at the top, into cash, at the bottom, into shares ...

but say I analyse, or simply feel in my bones, that a stock, any stock, pick one, will halve over the next 6 months. is it only the big fish who can sell short, who make money while the sun isnt shining? Nope, as long as your broker allows shorting, any one can do it. Just remember you have to cover your position at some stage!

btw, i use nat bank, thinking of going asb on basis of this thread...
    ASB provide stop losses, trailing stops, shorting facilities, if Nat Bank don't do it, ring them & question them why.

If you dont get a satisfactory answer, go to ASB.

I'm sure one phone to Nat Bank will sort it out for you

I contacted Nat Bank by email on the 23rd July this year asking for the ability to have 'stop loss' etc ability. Togeather with the ability to indicate if a Company has released more than one announcement in the day.
    The reply that I got was that my email would be passed onto management.
    I still have not heard of any reply.
    'Mental note to self':: Contact them again

Quote Originally Posted by Ponda View Post
    I contacted Nat Bank by email on the 23rd July this year asking for the ability to have 'stop loss' etc ability. Togeather with the ability to indicate if a Company has released more than one announcement in the day.
    The reply that I got was that my email would be passed onto management.
    I still have not heard of any reply.
    'Mental note to self':: Contact them again
    Ponda

Ring them & tell them ASB offer ALL the services you require at just $30 a trade (up to a certain level).

I was hoping JulianG would answer this for you.

PM him, if he can't help go somewhere that will.

Shasta Julian G has left Direct Broking & gone to London
    Possum The Cat

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Shasta Julian G has left Direct Broking & gone to London
    Thanks for the update, i missed that. :o

Pity someone else didn't run with the ball from National!

ANZ Securities

Hi everyone.

I don't like to see that some of you are considering a jump to ASB... but it's actually good ammo for me to take to my superiors re: providing ASX stop/loss orders at DBL.

I'll start campaigning asap and keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Alice

Quote Originally Posted by AliceSaville View Post
    Hi everyone.

I don't like to see that some of you are considering a jump to ASB... but it's actually good ammo for me to take to my superiors re: providing ASX stop/loss orders at DBL.

Cheers,
    Alice
    Thanks Alice

I'm not in any way affiliated with ASB, i just use them.

If you can help the members on here, by all means do so

Quote Originally Posted by AliceSaville View Post
    Hi everyone.

Cheers,
    Alice
    Hi Alice,
    good to see that you're prepared to enter the fray on behalf of Nat Bank Share and Bond customers - Julian had apparently had his wings clipped in this area and felt he wasn't able to comment on issues affecting, or offer any assistance to, Nat Bank clients.

Perhaps you could also ask whether there is any intention, ever, to correct the Nat Bank's "My Portfolio - Unrealised P/L (NZD)" amounts to allow for changes in the exchange rate since purchase. The current figures listed are nonsense. Having asked several times that this be corrected (many months ago now), and being told that DB were aware of the issue and were looking at making changes, I've given up asking. Now I simply ignore those figures, but it's a bad look for both Nat Bank and DB - the inference is that the brokers, IT people, or both, are innumerate. Incidentally, this was not a problem with the previous Nat Bank broking service offered by 1st NZ Capital. Following the lack of any action on this I have started purchasing offshore shares through ASB.

ANZ Securities

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Hi Alice,
    good to see that you're prepared to enter the fray on behalf of Nat Bank Share and Bond customers - Julian had apparently had his wings clipped in this area and felt he wasn't able to comment on issues affecting, or offer any assistance to, Nat Bank clients.

Perhaps you could also ask whether there is any intention, ever, to correct the Nat Bank's "My Portfolio - Unrealised P/L (NZD)" amounts to allow for changes in the exchange rate since purchase. The current figures listed are nonsense. Having asked several times that this be corrected (many months ago now), and being told that DB were aware of the issue and were looking at making changes, I've given up asking. Now I simply ignore those figures, but it's a bad look for both Nat Bank and DB - the inference is that the brokers, IT people, or both, are innumerate. Incidentally, this was not a problem with the previous Nat Bank broking service offered by 1st NZ Capital. Following the lack of any action on this I have started purchasing offshore shares through ASB.

Hi Voltaire
    Strictly speaking, I'm only allowed to pass your messages onto the National Bank customer service team.

However the fact that NBNZ traders are using the same platform as DBL traders means that technical developments/problems will affect both groups, so it's only fair that everyone is kept in the loop.

Cheers,
    Alice