I am a renter - and have no intention of ever living in my own 'home'. Which is not to say I will not own property at all, I am currently looking for investment property opportunities - though am still disappointed by the yields that are on offer. But that decision is more a desire to diversify my overall portfolio of investments, than any eagerness to get into property investment.

My decision to rent is both financial (I prefer to live in areas where owning doesn't stake up - my weekly rent is considerably less than what the weekly cost of buying would be) and non-financial. I like the relative freedom of renting - it is relatively easy for me to up and move somewhere else (and have done so). I also like to live a lifestyle free of the burden of significant mortgage repayment costs or tieing up my equity into a single investment.

So not surprisingly, I do find Macdunk's comments somewhat condescending - not that I mind/care. I find NZer's unbending belief in property ownership amusing, as well as lacking of any imagination - but I do not begrudge anyone's desire to own their own 'home'. Though I am often in disbelief at the price some people are willing to pay to obtain this.

I just do not have any emotional attachment to own a few bricks topped with a few tiles. However, contrary to Macdunk's opening post, along with having various equity investments, I am also involved with a start-up company, as well as holding down the "day job". I would think this is more enterprising than most property owners. Maybe of concern to us renters is that many property owners become a "burden on the community" as they find they have over-extended themselves to obtain the "kiwi dream".

I love the debate though.