sharetrader
Page 47 of 207 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Thread: KMD - Kathmandu

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I tend to agree mate. This health kick I'm on is basically getting out there and doing power walking 45-60 minutes quick walking 5-6 days a week and avoiding sugar and all forms of known extremely fatty food like Cheesecake and Ice-cream chocolate e.t.c., (lost 5 kg's since Christmas and very good for dealing with the stress I'm dealing with in regard to my daughter). Now I've got to thinking quite a number of times that one of those fancy hydration backpacks might be a good idea as this fast walking is thirsty work.
    So purely for the sake of a random exercise I just popped onto the FCO (Fishing camping and outdoors website), my local store is 100 metres away from my nearest KMD store and I see they have 2 litre hydration packs on sale for $27
    http://www.fco.co.nz/online-store/ca....aspx?id=20406. For the sake of comparison I then jumped on the KMD site and there's are $80 on special, probably better but unlikely I'd be able to tell the difference. While i was on the KMD website I had a quick look around at some of their other pricing which also worried me. As a purely random sample this sort of price disparity would worry me if I were a KMD shareholder. Every Tom, Dick, Harry and Roger would go to the FCO store wouldn't they or buy one on trade me for even less ?
    Exactly.
    They do not stand up to scrutiny.
    Pleased you are on a health kick.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    You got one of those fancy fitness wristbands yet mate?

Consumerism gone mad

Garmin apparently sell 7000 a week of their model in Australasia ...Gerry Harvey cleaning up with a sales boost bought on such toys
    LOL you're a bloody legend you must have read my mind as I was looking at them yesterday. Can't bring myself to pay $379 for the fancy Garmin model, I'm a tight arsed accountant

percy

Thanks mate, well said. I can't see too many people paying KMD prices unless they're feeling pretty comfortably well off ????? PPL going down down down because people are moving to value brands...are we seeing the beginning of a similar thing with KMD ????
    People will buy "good" products at "fair" prices.PPL used to have "lovely" kids clothes at "fair" prices.Today they just have "fair" products.
    Briscoes proves to me people will still buy "good" products at "fair" prices .
    Over the past 6 years 13,500 stores have closed in NZ.!Retail is a very difficult sector to be in.
    The overheads of a retail store are huge,compared to online overheads.
    Last edited by percy; 16-01-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Totally agree mate and I can't see the difficulty ending anytime soon. Yeah Briscoes is a model of how to still do retail very effectively. Top quality leadership there, no question.
    KMD could do okay in due course with a massive restructuring / price repositioning do you reckon ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Membaa

As a KMD 'Summit Club' member, I'm regularly emailed extraordinary discount opportunities on a range of apparel and goods. I have wondered at times how they can sustain such discounts as for example today, 50% off plus 10% for club members. Best Ive seen is 80%! I have no issues with quality but also no need to either visit their stores or buy at retail.

Banned

Still no dead cat bounce, just a kitty face planting into pipes along its journey into the subterranean sewers.

Along with PPL and WHS, me thinks the retail sector is severely out of fashion right now...

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Still no dead cat bounce, just a kitty face planting into pipes along its journey into the subterranean sewers.

Along with PPL and WHS, me thinks the retail sector is severely out of fashion right now...
    Yep, the trouble with catching a rapidly falling knife is its so easy to get cut right down to the bone as its falls further.

Banned

KMD gear is top notch especially their ski apparel I've got a set that's completely waterproof,lightweight and breathable and even at minus 10 c I only need a light layer underneath. All they need is a good upcoming winter and all those Aussies will be flocking to the stores buying their kit before they catch one of those extra Air NZ flights scheduled for Queenstown (Two years ago at the Remarkables all I met was Aussies and last year many I talked to said the trend would increase as its cheaper and better to come ski in NZ) Here's hoping Disc - Holding 10k shares bought at $2.84.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    KMD gear is top notch especially their ski apparel I've got a set that's completely waterproof,lightweight and breathable and even at minus 10 c I only need a light layer underneath. All they need is a good upcoming winter and all those Aussies will be flocking to the stores buying their kit before they catch one of those extra Air NZ flights scheduled for Queenstown (Two years ago at the Remarkables all I met was Aussies and last year many I talked to said the trend would increase as its cheaper and better to come ski in NZ) Here's hoping Disc - Holding 10k shares bought at $2.84.
    They won't be coming during an economic downturn with an FX cross at 96 cents or, Lord forgive me saying, even closer to parity...

percy

Totally agree mate and I can't see the difficulty ending anytime soon. Yeah Briscoes is a model of how to still do retail very effectively. Top quality leadership there, no question.
    KMD could do okay in due course with a massive restructuring / price repositioning do you reckon ?
    I don't know.They may find their internet channel is where their future is!
    I feel the "3 sales a year" model is poor.
    Customers today are very savvy,and if your products do not stand up to being "good" value at "fair" prices you face extinction.
    On one of the Australian threads someone quoted the retail market was only good for coffee and phones.!! I think they are right.
    Last edited by percy; 16-01-2015 at 05:04 PM.