sharetrader
Page 2 of 206 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: KMD - Kathmandu

I am not sure what existing listed retailer I would compare them to. They are quite different to Pumpkin Patch/Hallensteins which are fashion season driven. Kathmandu has seasonal stock but they also carry a large range of high-end items like $500 raincoats, tents and sleeping bags etc. You don't buy one of those every year (well, I don't )

A lot of these retailers depend on new store openings to drive sales growth. Kathmandu is relatively mature in NZ and also has a sizeable presence in Australia. So will there be growth in store numbers?

You really have to see the figures on same store sales to make a judgement. Will be an interesting prospectus...

If I was in the market for a retail stock it would be PPL or MHL. Just not now
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

Guru

Wink

Yeh as long as they price the float on a P E of 5-6 for 2010/11 it should be a success and not 14 + that they think they deserve

Maybe they should offer membership of the exclusive Burger Fuel VIP club as an incentive?
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

.....in my mind this is embarrasing and only further cements the view held by many that the sharemarket is a driven by a naked unadulterated lust to make a quick buck....a merchant bank initiating a public listing !!!!!!!!!!!! give me a break......

It seems to me like no one on this forum is applying for any shares in the IPO, so begs the question, who will they pitch this to? Are the mums and dads who lost out in Blue Chip, Bridgecorp etc spend their last dime on the Kathmandu IPO?
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Dr .... plenty of insto with their heaps of Kiwisaver money they have to just invest in something .... anything thats going

Paper said as long as the vendors leave something the instos will have a go eh .... and then the vendors can respectably sell down twhat they keep

Only mugs would invest their money with managed funds.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    It seems to me like no one on this forum is applying for any shares in the IPO, so begs the question, who will they pitch this to? Are the mums and dads who lost out in Blue Chip, Bridgecorp etc spend their last dime on the Kathmandu IPO?
    A bit too early to write this off, I think.

We need to see what the financials look like; what price and prospective P/E it's pitched at; what debt it will be carrying; how much skin the vendors are leaving in; plans for the future; who the directors and executives are; and a host of other things.

Then we'll probably decide to give it a miss!

Advanced Member

As far as IPO's are concerned, these days I tend to remind myself that I read somewhere that Warren Buffet shies away from investing in them. Admittedly that policy means that I have foregone isolated opportunities like RAK and BGR, but there are numerous others that went the other way - often after an initial little uptick during the post-listing period when the promoters "manage" the price.
    And an IPO coming out of a Private Equity fund is a reason for double caution.

Not sure why people are bagging this company so much. Strong brand and one of the small number of kiwi retailers that have successfully expanded into Australia and into UK. They are probably a quiet achiever in terms of what they have managed to achieve.