And don't wear grey shoes.

And shades are out!

Quote Originally Posted by sharer View Post
    Don't forget the haircut.
    And don't wear grey shoes.

And shades are out!
    Subtle pin stripe suits are back en vogue

Hey dudes. Ok, so a bit of an update:

I had the interview yesterday, and have been offerred the scholarship on the following terms:

- 1k a year till the end of my degree;
    - mentoring till the end of my degree;
    - an internship at the end of degree;
    - a job PENDING how I perform during the internship and IF they want me (they get grads the regular way through their graduate program too);
    - half my tuition fees (ie - student loan) paid for IF I am offered a job.

The partners have given me time to consider this proposition. They will only award it to me officially IF I can be 80-100% sure I will make a commitment to them following the completion of my degree for about 4 years.

In summary: they are not obliged to give me a job but, if I accept, and they do want me, I AM obliged to work for them. I don't know if I like this.

Reasons against:

- I lock myself in and forsake other oppotunities (technically I could refuse to work for them at the end of the degree because they said the obligations are not contractual BUT I am not like this will personally feel 100% obliged to work for them - I dont believe in disappointing them);
    - I am 'stuck' in Dunedin until I am 27 years old (this is the biggest disadvantage BUT I can think of worse places to work, and they do offer secondment opportunities).

Reasons for accepting:

- I have to do my training years somewhere and I will not be that marketable overseas until I have some experience and my CA anyway;
    - Working at Deloitte will contribute considerable value and credability to my degree;
    - I will have SOME sense of security (not a lot however, as a job is not promised);
    - Perhaps the only place in NZ where Id rather work that Dunedin is Wellington anyway (Im not keen on Aucks or ChCh).

Hmm.

What do you reckon guys?

Thanks for all this advice. I mentioned everything you guys have already said to the partners, and they affirmed it 100% =)
    Last edited by theArtfuldodger; 14-10-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theArtfuldodger View Post
    Hey dudes. Ok, so a bit of an update:

I had the interview yesterday, and have been offerred the scholarship on the following terms:

- 1k a year till the end of my degree;
    - mentoring till the end of my degree;
    - an internship at the end of degree;
    - a job PENDING how I perform during the internship and IF they want me (they get grads the regular way through their graduate program too);
    - half my tuition fees (ie - student loan) paid for IF I am offered a job.

The partners have given me time to consider this proposition. They will only award it to me officially IF I can be 80-100% sure I will make a commitment to them following the completion of my degree for about 4 years.

In summary: they are not obliged to give me a job but, if I accept, and they do want me, I AM obliged to work for them. I don't know if I like this.

Reasons against:

- I lock myself in and forsake other oppotunities (technically I could refuse to work for them at the end of the degree because they said the obligations are not contractual BUT I am not like this will personally feel 100% obliged to work for them - I dont believe in disappointing them);
    - I am 'stuck' in Dunedin until I am 27 years old (this is the biggest disadvantage BUT I can think of worse places to work, and they do offer secondment opportunities).

Reasons for accepting:

- I have to do my training years somewhere and I will not be that marketable overseas until I have some experience and my CA anyway;
    - Working at Deloitte will contribute considerable value and credability to my degree;
    - I will have SOME sense of security (not a lot however, as a job is not promised);
    - Perhaps the only place in NZ where Id rather work that Dunedin is Wellington anyway (Im not keen on Aucks or ChCh).

Hmm.

What do you reckon guys?

Thanks for all this advice. I mentioned everything you guys have already said to the partners, and they affirmed it 100% =)
    Sounds a pretty good deal to me, you're right you need a solid grounding, & having that security gives you a head start.

You can always transfer to Wellington down the line

Think of the big picture, & that your next 5 years will set you up for bigger things down the track.

If it doesn't feel right to you, walk away from it - doesn't really matter where you start off, it's where you want to be in 5 years that matters

agree with Shasta, although it's 4 years at least, u could that time to meet your CA requirement ( and maybe a CFA too! if u work hard)
    at least it's with one of the big4s.
    like Shasta said, there is always a chance to transfer, to welly or akl..