sharetrader
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by buns View Post
    Why does everyone see the Big 4 as the only option? Me for one never considered them. They are super hierarchical and in my books groom you to there needs, and quite often pigeon hole some grads.
    They will give you the best training. After you have your CA, by all means go elsewhere but having the big4 training on your CV is a must.

Re you pigeon hole comments, it is the opposite. You will work on a range on clients wheras if you work at a corporate, you only know that corporate.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Sharer, you're a douchebag. By 'greatful' [sic] I clearly meant 'grateful'. Some of us don't find it necessary to review our posts to the extent that they are completely devoid of all grammatical and spelling errors, as we assume that people will get the gist of what we are trying to communicate regardless of minor spelling mistakes. Clearly, with idiots like you on this forum, we need to be more careful and not make such rash assumptions. Spend your time offering useful and valid advice instead. I'm going to assume any advice offered by you sir, is contradictory to what is generally being said merely for the sake of being just that - contradictory, and is henceforth discredited (and because you failed to provide any relevant justification for your advice, as i requested, which suggests that you either didn't understand the question, or that the advice is, as I suspect, groundless and about as useful as flatulence passing from out between one's arse cheeks).

To everybody else:

Thank you once again. I like the idea of doing the DipGrad. With more finance in the mix it means that at the end of the 3rd year I can make a decision about whether I want to pursue the CA or the CFA (i.e. - DipGrad in Accountancy or Finance, respectively). I've looked into the graduate programmes and I'm really liking the look of Ernst and Young. PwC looks good too.

In reply to upside_umpo: I'm at Otago =)

The only reason I was interested in Honours was because it seems to promote a lot of discussion and debate about the subject matter, which is the way I tend to learn best. I'm sure I'd get this in the intern programmes though too.

PS -

Sharer, no hard feelings. Kiss kiss now ok? Just try not to be such an A-class asshole in future. Such childish behaviour is below this forum, and I refuse to indulge in it.

Love, TAD.
    Last edited by theArtfuldodger; 30-09-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Cleared up some spelling errors for SHARER's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by theArtfuldodger View Post
    Such childish behaviour is below this forum, and I refuse to indulge in it.
    But you did.

...further. =p

... ... ... ... ...Love, TAD.
    As you said, "we assume that people will get the gist of what we are trying to communicate", but some may not. And, "we need to be more careful and not make such rash assumptions." I'm sure my own posts are only rarely "completely devoid of all grammatical and spelling errors," so i must brace myself for further ripostes.

"I was interested in Honours .. because it seems to promote a lot of discussion and debate about the subject matter, which is the way I tend to learn best." As it should indeed, especially now we are at university. But, is that what's happening, so far? I share your (previous?) interest in honours study for similar reasons.
    But i have failed, as you say a TAD forcefully, to get your eyes raised to any distant horizon. Even as a light hearted temporary diversion from your mad rush towards voluntary corporate servitude!
    You say you ".. like the idea of doing the DipGrad. With more finance in the mix .." and it seems "really liking the look of Ernst and Young. PwC looks good too." Possibly a tad prematurely, if your examiners don't share your vision. Or if i happen to be on your interview panel, thought of that?!

So you have it settled already then, you're presently at university, surrounded by scholars and bright students, but you don't actually want a university education at all, you just want to get rich, yes?
    Life is so unfair. I know so many young people who would love to have this opportunity to learn things they might never have dreamed of, beyond the constricting bounds of a mere trade training.
    But its your life, you will remember in 20 years or so, & i sincerely wish you all the riches money can provide you with, and a happy journey as you go in pursuit of it. I hope i have not once again "failed to provide any relevant justification for [my] advice", it is so hard to be sure when confronted by a student determined not to like poetry (beyond an unfortunate rhyme).

Thank you for the generous offer: "Kiss kiss now ok? "
    I'd like to say yes, but i'm worried about the beard rash. Will you shave ?

I'm sorry ArtfulDodger, i forgot to congratulate you on this:
    "Last edited by theArtfuldodger; Yesterday at 03:21 PM. Reason: Cleared up some spelling errors for SHARER's benefit."

This is welcome progress, just as we would hope for in the future head of one of our financial enterprises. Well done.

You do realize Sharer that I was completely willing to take you advice on board? I'm learning here, and to get advice from people with experience, such as yourself, is invaluable to me. I was very interested to know why you were advising me to consider Honours, contrary to everybody else's advice.

Quote: "Any justifications as to why I'll be greatful [sic]I did Honours in 20 years time Sharer?"

But all I was met with was a rude generalization concerning my overall spelling ability and intelligence based on a completely unrepresentative mispelling (in passing) of a single, trivial word. You can't expect me to simply not retort. Your writing style is somewhat cryptic (Indeed, poetic -I think you will consider this a compliment?), and requires a bit more thought than simply taking it at face-value (minus the whole 'greatful - grateful' bit, that was unnecessarily facetious). I realize this now.

I don't expect respect for my contributions to the forum, because admittedly I know relatively little, but I do expect respect in the sense I won't be made to look stupid, when you yourself admit to making the occasional typo.

Ok, what are we talking about here? Typos? This is stupid. Lets forget it.

I appreciate your input Sharer and, with your last post, I now understand why you believe Honours should be considered - there is more to the world than money and an Honours course, while not necessarily resulting in better career prospects, will certainly give me a more enriching experience and understanding of my field. Thank you for your input and, if it means anything at all, I am actually leaning towards Honours at the moment for that very reason (still implementing 'core' finance papers however) but hopefully still secure an internship with one of the large professional firms.
    Last edited by theArtfuldodger; 01-10-2009 at 11:03 AM.

You do realize Sharer that I was completely willing to take you advice on board? I'm learning here, and to get advice from people with experience, such as yourself, is invaluable to me. I was very interested to know why you were advising me to consider Honours, contrary to everybody else's advice.

Quote: "Any justifications as to why I'll be greatful [sic]I did Honours in 20 years time Sharer?"

But all I was met with was a rude generalization concerning my overall spelling ability and intelligence based on a completely unrepresentative mispelling (in passing) of a single, trivial word. You can't expect me to simply not retort. Your writing style is somewhat cryptic (Indeed, poetic -I think you will consider this a compliment?), and requires a bit more thought than simply taking it at face-value (minus the whole 'greatful - grateful' bit, that was unnecessarily facetious). I realize this now.

I don't expect respect for my contributions to the forum, because admittedly I know relatively little, but I do expect respect in the sense I won't be made to look stupid, when you yourself admit to making the occasional typo.

Ok, what are we talking about here? Typos? This is stupid. Lets forget it.

I appreciate your input Sharer and, with your last post, I now understand why you believe Honours should be considered - there is more to the world than money and an Honours course, while not necessarily resulting in better career prospects, will certainly give me a more enriching experience and understanding of my field. Thank you for your input and, if it means anything at all, I am actually leaning towards Honours at the moment for that very reason (still implementing 'core' finance papers however) but hopefully still secure an internship with one of the large professional firms.
    Just remember one little thing.

Pretty much everything you learn at University goes out the door when you start work. You pretty much start again from scratch!

Where ever you end up will have there own culture, procedures & systems.

It's more how you adapt to your working environment & grow in your role that will get you places.

Communication is the key, you need to be able to communicate effectively with a range of different people/situations.

Down the track, you'll learn the importance of "networking".

Also, something that took me a while to understand, was learning to "play the game".

That's not ass kissing, or excessive overtime, but learning how to go that little bit extra & showing ownership/responsibility in your role.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where you work, it's who you work with

Default Best wishes & good luck

October is upon us, & it is time to wish ArtfulDodger and other students in the forum all the best in completing their assignments and year-end exams.
    With any luck you'll get in to some interesting & rewarding vacation internships. There's a heap of good advice & comments throughout this thread to help there, especially Shasta's last post.
    And my congratulations to ArtfulDodger for having the gumption to start both this thread & the neighbouring one about tax questions. Couldn't help wondering sometimes what actual teaching is happening in those institutions,given the collective wisdom offered freely in this virtual university.
    Of course the Young are wrong sometimes, but so are the Elders, with less possible excuse. It is always inspiring to see the occasional glimmers of insight dawning, and knowing young folk are still my hope for the future.
    Even if they are unneccessarily rude sometimes. So get on with the swotting & nail all those tests.
    Hopefully you also find time to do some of the undisciplined wild excursions that all young people should get up to while they still have the chance.
    Be careful out there! I'm looking forward to refreshing arguments next year. Sharer

Lol, ok mate. Glad we sorted that out. Thanks for the advice, and the 'best wishes' for tests etc.

Thanks to everybody else too! =) I've got an appointment with the Prof. next Tuesday, so I'll mention all your sage advice then. Also - and this is the best news - I've secured an interview with the partners of Deloitte for an internship/scholarship in a a weeks time. Very exciting. I'm practicing my interviewee techniques right now! Perhaps they (the partners) can offer me some direction too!
    Last edited by theArtfuldodger; 02-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.