sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

Has anyone upgraded yet? I may get a new netbook in the future and am wondering whether it would cope.

Still on XP at the moment.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Hi AMR

I haven't upgraded yet but I have a friend in the IT business who has, and he says its great. Way better than Vista and much less of a system hog. I think if you buy a new netbook it should handle it.
    "Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
    "Today is already the tomorrow which the bad economist yesterday urged us to ignore" H Hazlitt

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RazorX View Post
    Hi AMR

I haven't upgraded yet but I have a friend in the IT business who has, and he says its great. Way better than Vista and much less of a system hog. I think if you buy a new netbook it should handle it.

Go here to upgrade advisor and it will tell tyou if your system is capable.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx

My netbook is on xp and borderline fror upgrade. Had my first play with windows 7 last night on a new laptop friend had bought. It's going to take a bit of playing around to learn after years of xp, but most comments appear good. XP still damn good system though.

funguspudding: Agreed on XP. I still run it on my desktop. It's been going sweet for years and no problems. If Windows 7 is as good as they say it might replace XP as the best OS from Microsoft. Vista was of course a waste of time, money, and system resources.
    "Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
    "Today is already the tomorrow which the bad economist yesterday urged us to ignore" H Hazlitt

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post
    Has anyone upgraded yet? I may get a new netbook in the future and am wondering whether it would cope.

The new Nokia NetBooks come out of the box with Windows 7. You could use them as a good reference point for a new NetBook.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TTrader View Post
    The new Nokia NetBooks come out of the box with Windows 7. You could use them as a good reference point for a new NetBook.
    Just had a good play with windows 7 today . Im a convert. Big thumbs up. Will keep xp on my netbook, which is great on the small machine - but will update my laptop very soon. It's xp but 8 years old. Still going perfectly and had intended just keeping it for another year or so, but after trying w7, I think I'll bring that forward.

You will need to bear in mind that you can't upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. You will probably need to do a fresh install, which isn't such a bad thing really.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wbosher View Post
    You will need to bear in mind that you can't upgrade to Windows 7 from XP. You will probably need to do a fresh install, which isn't such a bad thing really.
    Yes I know that. By update my old laptop I meant replace the whole damn thing. I wouldn't bother trying to update the os from xp.

From what i have managed to gather from geek sites Windows 7 seems very good BUT make sure that you have at LEAST the Home premium version.
    This link here gives a pretty good summary and is worth a read .

http://www.retrevo.com/my/5875/artic...75?cmpid=Email

One of the key points is you need at least Windows 7 Professional to run some existing XP programes
    Last edited by stevo1; 01-11-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: more info

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post

I had Windows XP Pro, Downgraded to Vista then 2 days later I upgraded to Windows XP, Two years later I upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate and its brilliant. Unlike Vista its clean and not full of crap......

So far I have only had 1 problem with it but apart from that its 3 times faster.... If you put it to sleep
    > Open it up > Push the power button > It goes to the desktop in 3 seconds - That is good no waiting 1-2 minutes for it to start up.

I recommend everyone to upgrade its Like Windows XP just 10x BETTER.

Regards James Anderson.