sharetrader
Page 9 of 442 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerHamilton View Post
    They look like they have doubled the P&L this year from last. The new infant formula plant must be cranking as I think that is a good way ahead of the 2013 budget. I also reckon they were long WMP in a rising market compared to Fonterra and have also out hedged them ... 1c on the FX makes a big difference. All in all looks like they have had a great year and there milk supply won't have been affected as badly as the drought affected Fonterra regions as Synlait are probably almost 100% supplied from irrigated farms in Canterbury.
    2013 profit is quite certain as at the time prospectus are prepared, 2013 financial year has almost gone(have 31 July year end). Investors will be happy with the result of 2013FY as profit is almost doubled. If people just look PE ratio, seem the share is not cheap. But given the earnings go up 100% thus PEG is only about 0.3, very cheap.

Agreed. Running a milk plant has high fixed costs, given this was the first season for the IF drier it was always only going to run at 50-60% capacity ... as that pushes up to the 70's & 80's some serious numbers should drop to the bottom line. Doubling this years P&L is unlikely but a 30-40% increase is possible just because every extra litre of milk that's processed is highly profitable. Just like an airline ... the last 10 seats sold make you all the money, not the first 90.

If you can make it 20 extra seats , hey presto you virtually double your profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Lease View Post
    2013 profit is quite certain as at the time prospectus are prepared, 2013 financial year has almost gone(have 31 July year end). Investors will be happy with the result of 2013FY as profit is almost doubled. If people just look PE ratio, seem the share is not cheap. But given the earnings go up 100% thus PEG is only about 0.3, very cheap.
    peg of 0.3 is for 2014 yr if im correct so this is based on prospective forecasts for 2014 not 2013 i get peg of .62 and before that 1.27,2.01,2.23 so should relise peg is not reliable indicator as it can be manipulated by overly optimistic forecasts by management.

some more margin comparison rough est

gross margin c
    china mengniu 25%
    bright dairy - 35%
    fonterra - 19%
    synliat - 14.6%
    Last edited by bull....; 26-06-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: more
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

How much energy would these guys use ? Mostly electricity I guess. Hopefully they will have a tail wind from those costs over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    peg of 0.3 is for 2014 yr if im correct so this is based on prospective forecasts for 2014 not 2013 i get peg of .62 and before that 1.27,2.01,2.23 so should relise peg is not reliable indicator as it can be manipulated by overly optimistic forecasts by management.

some more margin comparison rough est

gross margin c
    china mengniu 25%
    bright dairy - 35%
    fonterra - 19%
    synliat - 14.6%
    Do not compare with Chinese peers as you can't trust their reporting figures. Synlait 2013 interim report has shown gross profit margin is 18.6%.

Do not compare with Chinese peers as you can't trust their reporting figures. Synlait 2013 interim report has shown gross profit margin is 18.6%.
    lol are you trying to imply we shouldnt trust the chinese , anyway i used annual figures , also of note is that over 50% of revenue is from 3 customers and only one is contractually obliged to purchase.

okay so you buying for anticipated growth in their higher margin infant formula business only , i ignored the other stuff as i dont see growth in margin their even though they will get sales increases , manufacturers of products seem to always get sqeezed on margin in the long run so that why i stick to infant formula only.
    positives
    if dollar declines going forward bonus , new fixed assets planned bonus after 2017 for profits , good growth in revenues good , going forward higher margin product good etc

bad
    2013 an 14 profits really just the same , new entrants in the market bad as fonterra only obliged to sell so much to independants so synliat have to compete with them for this volume potentially , chinese market consolidation etc , only 3 big customers ( 1 prop bright an the other netherlands based which sells stuff to them as well so hopefully they can grow customers ( wonder if bright dictates this department )

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    okay so you buying for anticipated growth in their higher margin infant formula business only , i ignored the other stuff as i dont see growth in margin their even though they will get sales increases , manufacturers of products seem to always get sqeezed on margin in the long run so that why i stick to infant formula only.
    positives
    if dollar declines going forward bonus , new fixed assets planned bonus after 2017 for profits , good growth in revenues good , going forward higher margin product good etc

bad
    2013 an 14 profits really just the same , new entrants in the market bad as fonterra only obliged to sell so much to independants so synliat have to compete with them for this volume potentially , chinese market consolidation etc , only 3 big customers ( 1 prop bright an the other netherlands based which sells stuff to them as well so hopefully they can grow customers ( wonder if bright dictates this department )
    Read P118, which shows profit is $10,839k in 2013FY and $19,670k in 2014FY. 2014FY profit doubled as well.

Guru

Read P118, which shows profit is $10,839k in 2013FY and $19,670k in 2014FY. 2014FY profit doubled as well.
    I havne't received the docs yet so excuse my ignorance.

- Is the increase in profit due to increased capacity at their plant (ie fixed costs being spread over higher volumes)
    - what growth do you consider reasonable going forward. How much extra capacity will they have at their plant or will groth only come through a new plant or tighter margins.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk