sharetrader
Page 182 of 441 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 4405

MM, have to agree to disagree.
    Te Reo is blossoming around NZ - classes simply cannot keep up with the numbers of people applying. Maori agribusiness is emerging as an exciting & influential force. Witness Miraka in Taupo, the new dairy plant being built in Kawerau (JV between Iwi and Japanese) or Ngai Tahu Farming. Great to see Synlait looking to the future in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by nizzy View Post
    pleased to see the new CEO emphasising both the company's NZ'ness & demonstrating forward looking nature by his use of Te Reo. Positions SML ahead of the pack while at same time quietly underemphasising the Chinese majority owner, which is a red flag to NZ Inc if they actually knew.
    Just a wee clarificaion. Bright Dairies (the Chinese cornerstone shareholder) holds 39%. This is a lot, but it is NOT the majority!
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

MM, have to agree to disagree.
    Te Reo is blossoming around NZ - classes simply cannot keep up with the numbers of people applying.
    I've given you the factual statistics that appear contrary to that opinion

Maori agribusiness is emerging as an exciting & influential force. Witness Miraka in Taupo, the new dairy plant being built in Kawerau (JV between Iwi and Japanese) or Ngai Tahu Farming.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Maori agribusines. However this sector is about utilising Maori owned assets such as land and fisheries by maori for the benefit of maori. That is an exciting future for Maori.

That said, these do not necessarily benefit all Maori. They benefit the beneficiaries of the various Maori trusts who own these business. And those trusts are usually iwi based. Which means unless you are part of that iwi you cant be part of it. Now, if we are being totally transparent about diversity do you wonder about the racial diversity in such organisations. Have a look at Mirakas Board. All male except for one Vietnamese woman. Or the executive: six men two women. Is that the future?

Great to see Synlait looking to the future in this way.
    I dont see the correlation. (It should be patently obvious there is a difficulty with your position on the future. You or I can buy a share of Synliat. But we cant buy a share in Miraka or Ngai Tahu Farming)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Just a wee clarificaion. Bright Dairies (the Chinese cornerstone shareholder) holds 39%. This is a lot, but it is NOT the majority!
    And given Government blocking Huawei 5G technology we might be bloody glad to have such ain investor standing in our corner of the ring

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Well, that is just offensive. Maori culture belongs to Maori and shouldn't be appropriated by business for their own commercial gain

That is aside from the fact Maori culture is not steeped in cows, milk or farming.

When I jump into my Santa Fe or turn on my Samsung phone I'll wonder at the emersion in Korean culture I'l experience.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]I am not suggesting we should kick the language in the butt. But I am clear - it is not the role of listed companies to keep an indigenous language alive. Especially when that company has a reducing share price with no dividend on the horizon. Its a worry if the best they can come up with is a @pinking@ of the brand (WTF!) and an intro to an AGM that no-one understands.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Maori agribusines. However this sector is about utilising Maori owned assets such as land and fisheries by maori for the benefit of maori. That is an exciting future for Maori.

That said, these do not necessarily benefit all Maori. They benefit the beneficiaries of the various Maori trusts who own these business. And those trusts are usually iwi based. Which means unless you are part of that iwi you cant be part of it. Now, if we are being totally transparent about diversity do you wonder about the racial diversity in such organisations. Have a look at Mirakas Board. All male except for one Vietnamese woman. Or the executive: six men two women. Is that the future?

I dont see the correlation. (It should be patently obvious there is a difficulty with your position on the future. You or I can buy a share of Synliat. But we cant buy a share in Miraka or Ngai Tahu Farming)
    +1 Couldn't agree more.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Your stats aren't contradictory. Maori speakers may have been reducing up to your most recent 2013 figure, but this predates the current burst of interest nizzy mentions. I've heard the same thing locally, Maori classes cannot keep up with the demand. I have no problems with a brief introduction in Maori, and this is what I see in most aspects of NZ life, not just business. Feel free to let your eyes glaze over for 20 seconds if it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mfd View Post
    Your stats aren't contradictory. Maori speakers may have been reducing up to your most recent 2013 figure, but this predates the current burst of interest nizzy mentions. I've heard the same thing locally, Maori classes cannot keep up with the demand.
    You are being blind sided by a usual manufacturing problem which students of Measurement 101 would understand. What is important - the observation of inputs (people enrolling) or the measurement of outputs (people who leave a course able to speak Maori)

Signups are meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by mfd View Post
    I have no problems with a brief introduction in Maori, and this is what I see in most aspects of NZ life, not just business. Feel free to let your eyes glaze over for 20 seconds if it's a problem.
    So often its not brief. 20 seconds you are getting the cut down version. But that is still 20 seconds that could be spent drilling down into the hard numbers.

Yes, but Bright have effective control through Board representation.

Hopefully SML is aware of this govt money slopping around - howabout a loan to help with Geraldine purchase

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...value-products

You are being blind sided by a usual manufacturing problem which students of Measurement 101 would understand. What is important - the observation of inputs (people enrolling) or the measurement of outputs (people who leave a course able to speak Maori)

Signups are meaningless
    Of course the numbers of people wanting to learn is not meaningless. Luckily, the latest census data will be released shortly which will provide conclusive data, until then we can only really guess at the direction of travel.