sharetrader
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: MVN Methven

You seem to be under the impression that there is only one type of investor.....bit simplistic, don't you think? If you have a look at my signature you might surmise ,if you were sufficiently astute, that my focus is on dividends not capital growth. I'm not looking at growing my wealth but preserving it and providing an annual stream of revenue to top up my super. This is on-going and so far has been reliable and requires very little work and tweeking. Have outperformed my benchmark of TD of 4% by having an overall gross yield of 9.3%. MVN is one of the regulars that make up that portfolio. Your examples of super growth are reliant on someone making all the right decisions and a certain amount of luck (or a lack of bad decisions). The investors who fit that profile are few and far between. I'm modest in that I don't believe I can beat the market so work with that as my back up philosophy. MVN has been a steady dividend producer.
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Dividend must be weighed up against capital growth.While you have enjoyed your dividends,you have lost capital.In fact 16.47% since December 2004.
    Had you invested in any of the following you would have enjoyed more modest dividends,however you would rejoice in the capital growth ;EBO 164.87%..POT329.13%..FRE 155.74%..MFT.573% LPC.75.44%..MHI 325%.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    You seem to be under the impression that there is only one type of investor.....bit simplistic, don't you think? If you have a look at my signature you might surmise ,if you were sufficiently astute, that my focus is on dividends not capital growth. I'm not looking at growing my wealth but preserving it and providing an annual stream of revenue to top up my super. This is on-going and so far has been reliable and requires very little work and tweeking. Have outperformed my benchmark of TD of 4% by having an overall gross yield of 9.3%. MVN is one of the regulars that make up that portfolio. Your examples of super growth are reliant on someone making all the right decisions and a certain amount of luck (or a lack of bad decisions). The investors who fit that profile are few and far between. I'm modest in that I don't believe I can beat the market so work with that as my back up philosophy. MVN has been a steady dividend producer.

For how long though? Their profitability is eroding or have I misread the results?

percy

Please note while you were posting I was adding to my post.
    The companies I have used are just a broad selection off the top of my head.Each and all of them will continue to out perform MVN.
    Others that I hold where you will enjoy both growing dividends and share price are AWF and HNZ.

Banned

I held 50k shares last year,grabbed a dividend and sold out for a small loss after researching the market methven are in and concluding that beyond the ChCh rebuild they have an unknown and difficult future,even Rym and Sum arnt using their products in their facilities

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I held 50k shares last year,grabbed a dividend and sold out for a small loss after researching the market methven are in and concluding that beyond the ChCh rebuild they have an unknown and difficult future,even Rym and Sum arnt using their products in their facilities
    The satinjet, is a great product and a big watersaver. Not sure if others have replicated it ... but sad they do not have a following amongst locals like RYM and SUM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    The satinjet, is a great product and a big watersaver. Not sure if others have replicated it ... but sad they do not have a following amongst locals like RYM and SUM.
    Don't get me wrong I think Methven have great and innovative products but the competition is now fierce and methven has lost the advantage it once had IMHO
    Last edited by couta1; 31-01-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Just looked a little deeper into their business. Does anyone agree that they lack building/construction and hardcore product engineering experience at the board level? I point out building because I assume thats their key vertical.

I see a good representation of accountants, lawyers, fishing, biscuits, lawyers, accountants etc. I think Cutfield as some experience on the engineering side but not sure. I know the Germans love to stack their boards with engineers. Good to see a marketer there but I think its a weakness in the other areas. FPH looks more balanced in this regard with engineers and health vertical experience.

Also interested to know what their export markets look like. Is this a pure domestic play company?
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 31-01-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    You've been banging on with the same old, same old for years W69...this cat says MVN is giving me an 11% gross yield every year. What's your perception regards that?
    I only bang on with he same old for years as much as mvn bang for years and years about being a growth company. As their performance shows they ain't

If they just said we are doing a lot of good stuff to stay in the game and make enough dosh to pay a decent divie every year I would respect them more. It's just this illusion of grandeur that is misleading. They are a solid company who gives every cent ( some years more) they make back to shareholders (stuff the bank). Good on them and good on you Birman for taking advantage of that.

And no matter what they will pay another 9 cent divie this year ....but if I had bought at 140 plus that's not a 11% yield

That is my perspective birman

Not really that important to my thinking. Nothing I can control and no amount of research or hand wringing will answer those questions. Dividends are like buses....one stops...you get off it and get on another. if you buy at the right time in the dips its also unlikely to create a loss when you change buses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    For how long though? Their profitability is eroding or have I misread the results?
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

percy

I must prefer to travel on clean well kept buses going in the right direction, rather than smokey old clapped things going on the road to no where.