sharetrader
Page 797 of 869 FirstFirst ... 297697747787793794795796797798799800801807847 ... LastLast
Results 7,961 to 7,970 of 8687

Thread: Gold

Permanent Newbie

Has the pick up in gold prices had its day?

As mentioned earlier I am speculating on the price of gold mining companies based on very little information and a lot of ignorance.

I have got lucky and enjoyed some good gains but appreciate they can disappear just as quickly.

Does anyone have some basic TA indicators to decide when the price signals are telling you to get out. How about when the share price goes through the moving average. Using the charts on ASB securities 30days is too wimpy 180 days (max) sees me losing about 20% then selling. I think I will go with 180 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Has the pick up in gold prices had its day?

As mentioned earlier I am speculating on the price of gold mining companies based on very little information and a lot of ignorance.

I have got lucky and enjoyed some good gains but appreciate they can disappear just as quickly.

Does anyone have some basic TA indicators to decide when the price signals are telling you to get out. How about when the share price goes through the moving average. Using the charts on ASB securities 30days is too wimpy 180 days (max) sees me losing about 20% then selling. I think I will go with 180 days.
    Well it's not luck if you believe we have systematic credit risks in the financial markets ... which pretty much everything fundamentally historically is pointing too>>

then you have GOLD which going from history doesn't have short blip Bull Markets but long 9yr+ runs(over the last 100yrs etc) ... and we are what 1yr into the new
    "Gold Bull" .

So kick back and follow your MA's shorter terms if your swing trading ... longer 180 for stronger trends

Personal 2020 will be brilliant for those with Gold/Silver investments .. diverse your portfolio micro cap + Jnr Cap +Large cap + Bullion
    Last edited by JBmurc; 11-09-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Permanent Newbie

Cheers JB
    That is the sort of reassurance I need. Negative interest rates and endless money printing make currencies worthless/meaningless but only once the public loses faith.

Not sure about micro caps with my level of knowledge and effort but wouldn't mind holding some actual coins. Might get down to Auckland one day and do it.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-09-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Cheers JB
    That is the sort of reassurance I need. Negative interest rates and endless money printing make currencies worthless/meaningless but only once the public loses faith.

Not sure about micro caps with my level of knowledge and effort but wouldn't mind holding some actual coins. Might get down to Auckland one day and do it.
    I'm lucky enough to work not far from NZ gold merchants (gogold.co.nz) , so signed up online and made my first purchase of physical gold a while ago. Dropped down and picked it up, and intend to by an ounce or two a month for the rest of the year. Also discovered a 1oz gold coin makes a great card protector while playing poker with the boys.. it seems to be a chip magnet, cleaned up last time we played.

My microcap gold mining plays haven't worked out so well, but they were the first stocks I ever purchased directly, and my research was weak..
    Last edited by Vagabond47; 12-09-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Cheers JB

Micro-caps sub 50mill AUD aren't too bad as long as they have a good cash balance if stressed about studying the market 24/7(Like I do ... the likes of CHN a great Gold-Ni explorer
    49mill market value Vs CHN's 33mill in cash + investments .... 90%+ of micro/nano cap fail from poor cash mgmt .. and small startup producers many hit the wall as too why I don't generally don't hold into production but rather wait for solid Qtr reports of fat profits
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Permanent Newbie

Some confirmation bias for me. Although I think he is a libertarian so not sure we would agree on much else.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...-go-on-forever

The only thing he doesn't seem to realise in the article is that interest rates are never going up in a meaningful way, at least probably not in my lifetime and although it can't go on forever Japan has shown that it can go on for many decades and still continues on in the land of the rising sun. If it were up to the markets people with money to lend would not be accepting current interest rates and definitely not negative rates.

Some confirmation bias for me. Although I think he is a libertarian so not sure we would agree on much else.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...-go-on-forever

The only thing he doesn't seem to realise in the article is that interest rates are never going up in a meaningful way, at least probably not in my lifetime and although it can't go on forever Japan has shown that it can go on for many decades and still continues on in the land of the rising sun. If it were up to the markets people with money to lend would not be accepting current interest rates and definitely not negative rates.
    Yes completely agree with the article ... the Cheap DEBT party will end with one hell of a hangover

Permanent Newbie

Not really a TA man but not many would argue that going against the trend for more speculative investments is a bad idea.

Still looks like economic growth may be slowing (maybe reading too much zero hedge), recession possible, if it causes a financial crisis it would be good for gold price.

Using Yahoo Finance, moving average, rsi, macd(need to check what this represents) all looking like the trend is heading down. Some good gains I would like to keep on my gold producers. Time to sell??

If you think that the US$ index is going to go up, that is negative for gold, but if you think that the US$ index is about to go down then that is positive for gold.

POG up 1% and breaking above $US 1600/oz, despite US$ index also strengthening.