sharetrader
Page 816 of 871 FirstFirst ... 316716766806812813814815816817818819820826866 ... LastLast
Results 8,151 to 8,160 of 8703

Thread: Gold

https://www.ino.com/blog/2020/08/dol.../#.XzIYHDVS_VI

Of interest here as the writer compares gold and the US$ index. If the index continues in the downward trend channel then the gold price rally is still intact.

https://www.ino.com/blog/2020/08/dol.../#.XzIYHDVS_VI

Another analysis from JRB in which he predicts a correction from an overbought condition in the next couple of months. I don't subscribe to his service but I keep an eye on his free newsletter. He does not follow the gold companies on the ASX, he is mostly in to North American companies.

Permanent Newbie

A correction was predicted but it will be a real test of my faith based investing today.

IMO

Recent news this week is that Warren Buffet has bought a big stake in Barrick Gold. He probably thinks that gold will increase over the near and distant future.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Recent news this week is that Warren Buffet has bought a big stake in Barrick Gold. He probably thinks that gold will increase over the near and distant future.
    I doubt it was Buffet that bought it for Berkshire but maybe he would have to have approved it. Dropping banks and buying a gold miner, I wonder what they see ahead. Hopefully it is a long term buy for Berkshire and my speculation in gold miners will be vindicated over time.

Berkshire sold out of Goldman Sachs to take the position in Barrick Gold.

That's quite something considering he has never been known to say anything positive on the yellow metal.
    Last edited by ynot; 17-08-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Berkshire sold out of Goldman Sachs to take the position in Barrick Gold.
    Thinking about it further $563mill is about .28% of Berkshire's portfolio (I think) and if they hold $139billion cash in different corporations then it is tiny compared to their cash holdings. Nothing more than a small speculation at this stage but possibly some smart investors coming to the same conclusions we are. Although their cash holdings would indicate they don't see a major currency crisis on the horizon.

Compare with Ray Dalio who says cash is trash.

Permanent Newbie

I didn't read the Fed minutes but the headline says they see a negative economic outlook due to Covid-19 and they discussed not buying govt bonds for yield curve control. Less money printing bad for gold but if the economy turns down it will be interesting to see if they ramp up the money creation or not. As always nothing seems straight forward. I was going to retire after my gold stocks went up 1,000% but looks like I might need to wait longer.