sharetrader
Page 788 of 869 FirstFirst ... 288688738778784785786787788789790791792798838 ... LastLast
Results 7,871 to 7,880 of 8687

Thread: Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This article suggests it is a hedge against the US dollar falling.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/01/gold...ree-years.html
    I wish I understood the gold market, without the central banks buying would the price of gold hold up? I should really look at production total etc etc. I have vague memories of someone explaining this to me earlier in the thread probably JB.

Good to see central banks still consider it a currency/financial asset.
    Thats cause the central banks are continuing very worried around the fiat credit system that since the breakdown in 07/08 has been fixed by just extenting the credit ...

the Libor rate is close to double last years low

The London Interbank Offered Rate is the average interest rate at which leading banks borrow funds from other banks in the London market. LIBOR is the most widely used global "benchmark" or reference rate for short term interest rates. The current 1 year LIBOR rate as of October 24, 2018 is 3.04%.

And 1-Year US Treasury Yield ends the month at 2.69%, its highest level since January 2008.

Global stocks had second-worst October in at least the last 30 years

Conclusion Global debt is spiralling out of control ... Increasing debt at a more rapid rate than income is not sustainable indefinitely.
    just look here in NZ to the household debt to income we have been flatlining at 150-166% since GFC .. so IMHO thats telling me many households are tapped out (or if NZ property starts to fall we could say Trapped)

GOLD / SILVER is anti DEBT
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

And so it continues POG and US$ index both still heading north above their 50 day moving averages. Although I suspect that the US$ index may have peaked,which bodes well for PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Unusual! POG and the US$ index are both up about .3% overnight and they have both broken upwards clear of their 50 day moving averages.. normally when one goes up the other will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    And so it continues POG and US$ index both still heading north above their 50 day moving averages. Although I suspect that the US$ index may have peaked,which bodes well for PMs.
    Yes and history shows as the first two months of the year are the most bullish for the PM I see $1400us being crossed before March
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

IMO

US$1262 an oz atm.It is now 1% up in one year!. My Goldies are very green in a sea of mainly Red.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 21-12-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Yes the bulk of my portfolio is now in IRC,WWI,EAR ... all gold plays well oversold that should bounce hard during 2019 which I believe will be a very strong yeah for the PMs

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    US$1262 an oz atm.It is now 1% up in one year!. My Goldies are very green in a sea of mainly Red.
    Im wrong.$1269.07 according to Trading economics was the gold price 1 year ago. US$ 1260.50 atpit, heading there.

Guru

I see that the NZD price of gold is currently at $1909/Troy Oz which has had a bit of jump Up recently and is up about 3.5% this year. That is still an underperformance compared with NZ shares over the past year. However I was wondering if now is the time to add to my small collection of lovely old sovereigns.

I saw an item recently about the Irish boosting their gold purchases as Brexit looks increasingly dire which may bring about a further collapse of the GBP Sterling. With other issues also facing the EU, with Trump and with the South China Sea issue, are the tailwinds blowing gold upwards? On the other hand are interest rates inevitably going to go higher and put a dampener on the price of gold?

Apologies if if this is the wrong forum for a general discussion on gold.
    https://news.sky.com/story/northern-...rexit-11593769

Gold doing well, silver is doing even better. Because silver (physical and ETF) is only 3 per cent of my portfolio, I never like to see it do well. Almost certainly it means everything else is in the toilet

Peter Schiff (who sells metals of course) notes that silver is doing a little better than gold in his latest podcast (21.45 mark)

https://youtu.be/L6iLPS4VF04?t=1307

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Gold doing well, silver is doing even better. Because silver (physical and ETF) is only 3 per cent of my portfolio, I never like to see it do well. Almost certainly it means everything else is in the toilet

Peter Schiff (who sells metals of course) notes that silver is doing a little better than gold in his latest podcast (21.45 mark)

https://youtu.be/L6iLPS4VF04?t=1307
    Silver value is more industrially based I guess. Also the trouble with silver is that the premiums seems to be higher. Compared with gold, there also seems to a greater risk of discolouration and other environmental effects which could destroy the higher premiums.

What do you think about platinum (and palladium)? Will platinum continue its downward spiral with Diesel engines on the way out?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 30-12-2018 at 08:07 PM.