sharetrader
Page 103 of 871 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203603 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 8708

Thread: Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    --This is one of the big drawbacks to relying solely on technical analysis. At bottoms the technicals will always look terrible. If one basis their trades solely on technicals they will forever be selling at bottoms and eventually they will destroy their portfolio
    Dont agree with this.
    Everyone on this site seems to think theres only one way of doing technical analysis
    Some TA uses different methodologies such as looking for likely areas of resistance/support and selling/buying into those

gold holding above 1225
    silver not as strong

I checked out your comments re Trademe Skol
    there were quite a few bidders on silver oz's but yes they werent paying over NZ28 as of yesterday. But in very recent past not a skerrick could be had below 30. Might take another spike up to create some fervour again. I'm picking silver will hit 20 again soon.
    Last edited by peat; 19-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Default I'm not going to let you get away with that JB :>)

from your link Elzorro is why I put F/A before T/A on buying shares
    --This is one of the big drawbacks to relying solely on technical analysis. At bottoms the technicals will always look terrible. If one basis their trades solely on technicals they will forever be selling at bottoms and eventually they will destroy their portfolio.......
    JB ..that's garbage...TA knowledgable people don't sell at the bottom because they are already out of the market ..you know that.
    Re : bottoms...picking exact tops and bottoms as it happens is near impossible..hence the saying.. "picking bottoms gives you sh1tty fingers".

P may be on holiday but I'm not

Banned

-Still holding the same shares SKOL I see TLS get hammered recently too bad you don't follow some of my picks SVL up over 40% for under a month my most recent buy
    No worries about TLS, it'll be back. I bought AWB at $1 a few weeks back and just sold for $1.44, not too bad.
    On the subject of your picks I don't take too much notice after NAV's dreadful performance you need a win.
    UU made a disparaging remark about it too, which I thought might prompt a reply.
    Last edited by Skol; 19-08-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    JB ..that's garbage...TA knowledgable people don't sell at the bottom because they are already out of the market ..you know that.
    Re : bottoms...picking exact tops and bottoms as it happens is near impossible..hence the saying.. "picking bottoms gives you sh1tty fingers".

LOL knew that would spark up a few yes yes T/A experts usually make sure there out before the shares trend even lower because they follow the MA look at OGC.asx for one shows the MA60day holding till just recently where it broke through so Mr T/A expert would have sold now he will wait to the SP heads higher over the MA60day before buying back in-

Still I put F/A before T/A in buying a share because I don't sit in front of screen 24/7 waiting for the MA or resistance to break before buying an miss-out on alot of the growth the more you Trade the more you will use T/A any investor will be paying tax in no time if he sold every MA cross on his shares so F/A is by far what most here need to do before buying longer term unless you want to pay the Tax man
    Last edited by JBmurc; 19-08-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    No worries about TLS, it'll be back. I bought AWB at $1 a few weeks back and just sold for $1.44, not too bad.
    On the subject of your picks I don't take too much notice after NAV's dreadful performance you need a win.
    UU made a disparaging remark about it too, which I thought might prompt a reply.
    Well get ready because NAV won't be down for long(still above want I paid)
    my other buys over the last few months check the threads for proof I unlike many state before the shares go up
    PENOA-19.5c
    ROC-33.5c
    SSNO-2.1c-5.4
    SVL-10.5c
    CFE-33.5c
    Last edited by JBmurc; 19-08-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post

Sorry about that JB, I had no idea there was a disparaging comment about TA in that link..didn't mean to get you into trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Sorry about that JB, I had no idea there was a disparaging comment about TA in that link..didn't mean to get you into trouble..
    Doesn't worry me mate good to get a bit a life back in the thread the overall ASX thread for one has be pretty lifeless of late

Guru

Doesn't worry me mate good to get a bit a life back in the thread the overall ASX thread for one has be pretty lifeless of late
    And so it shouldn't JB
    TA V FA has been thrashed to death over the years as we all have witnessed...everyone has their own method of making a $. You can't knock any system that's successful no matter how bizarre it may be.

Personally, I mix the two. I Use TA for timing... to enter and exit. Often a great stock gets hammered for no valid reason (a correction) FA unfortunately keeps you in, TA tells you to take advantage of the weakness situation by jumping out (be safe than sorry) and then jump in again when the worm turns...OK Tax Man can be an issue...but I have found I have made more money since paying the Tax man as I haven't restricted myself to staying put in a falling stock because of the number of trades that may attract the IRD attention.

OGC hit a weakness situation in July and I posted on that thread then about it. OK jumping out at SA3.15 and jumping in again 3 weeks later at SA2.95ish seems a little futile to some but the important thing was that a TA person would be out during that weakness that had the potential to be more sinister than what it was. It cost nothing to be out and probably gained some $$ by doing so.

Speaking about bottoms the TA person with more risk would have re-entered the next day after the hammer which happened to be Black Friday. Other more conservative TA's may have waited for more indicators to fire buy signals. The trendies would have bought on tuesday 16th at about $A3.05.

OGC has been a TA friendly stock it reacts to trends and support and resistance lines very well.

A chart for you Guys to show there is no bias about OGC from me. Self explanatory methinks.

JB ignore the MA 90 line I drew it in error should have been MA60..however the MA60 is not much different to the MA90 on this chart it does show in this case that it is a rather late confirming indicator.

Update today the share price is at $A3.26 so the late MA60 is confirmed and the 3.15 resistance is well and truly bust so its onwards and upwards again

So JB ELZ G8 and others wish you all the best of success
    Cheers Hoop.

Last edited by Hoop; 19-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Legend

Thanks for the graph, Hoop, and the message. I hope you've bought some OGC for yourself..

I have been very polite with this link, not a goldbug site, both sides of the argument are addressed..and it's up to date

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com..._blg=1,1567925

Banned

If you don't thinks gold's in a bubble read the article in the Herald yesterday.
    A dealer said that before Sept. 2008 he'd get 3 or 4 local enquiries a day, now he gets 20. Amateurs loading up on gold and silver.