sharetrader
Page 15 of 871 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post
    Is there any way we can buy an agricultural ETF here in NZ?

Or would you just buy into an agricultural company in NZX or ASX?
    you can also buy warrants an futures in many commodities personal I like silver bullion an shares I am also currently getting a house built so I could get some Inflation growth with the porperty even though it a real long term investment 20yrs+
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Is everyone changing their strategies dramatically since the economic crisis or are you staying with the same strategies that made you successful from 2000-2008/09

I'm just not sure what are the best options to take in 2010 as there are so many different opportunities that could possibly win and lose BIG time.

Is everyone changing their strategies dramatically since the economic crisis or are you staying with the same strategies that made you successful from 2000-2008/09

I'm just not sure what are the best options to take in 2010 as there are so many different opportunities that could possibly win and lose BIG time.
    Well I personal have moved into more jnr goldies over the last couple months that a taking 20% out of the market to use for the new property
    Any major profits going forward will be meant with some profit taking
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Banned

What's everyones opinion on hyper-inflation?

If not gold/silver then what to protect againt hyper-inflation?
    What hyperinflation?

The reason gold crashed in 1980 was because punters were concerned about the US dollar becoming worthless, and, you guessed it, hyperinflation.
    Heard that before?
    I have, in 1980.
    And neither of them happened, just like what's going to happen this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    What hyperinflation?

The reason gold crashed in 1980 was because punters were concerned about the US dollar becoming worthless, and, you guessed it, hyperinflation.
    Heard that before?
    I have, in 1980.
    And neither of them happened, just like what's going to happen this time around.
    Skol, you seem very very informed on the situation. Any books, websites, etc you can give me to read up on?

Thanks.

Banned

Tomorrows Gold, by Marc Faber has a very entertaining chapter on 'New Eras, Manias and Bubbles'.

Manias, Panics and Crashes, by Charles P. Kindleberger is also excellent, some of it's hard going, but it goes into bubbles and crashes in great detail.

They're a lot more common than you think, recently the oil bubble, real estate to name two. One thing common to every bubble, easy credit.

I do have another book which was first published in 1841, an historical account of bubbles and manias from early times, like the Crusades, the Alchemists, Witchhunting, Tulipmania, Magnetisers, etc.
    An apt name, 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds', by Charles McKay.

Happy reading ENP, you'll learn a lot.

Wanna laugh?

I used to spend a lot of time in Hawaii in the 80's. The whole of the island chain was pretty much brought out by the Japanese, all with easy credit. It was a joke that what they didn't achieve in the Pearl Harbour attack they achieved by going to their bank.
    Several 747's would arrive in Honolulu every morning with big spending tourists from various Japanese cities. They were also big spenders on the mainland. I couldn't believe it, but at the time everyone adored how efficient and expansionist the Japanese economy was and did their best to emulate them.
    In 1988 the 1 sq. km of the iImperial Palace in Tokyo was reckoned to be worth more than the entire state of california.
    The Mitsui Real Estate Company paid $625 million for the Exxon building in New York even thought the asking price was $310 million, because they wanted to be in the Guiness Book of Records.
    The Japanese economy has never recovered since the 1990 meltdown, 20 years ago.
    Last edited by Skol; 14-04-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Banned

Skol, you seem very very informed on the situation. Any books, websites, etc you can give me to read up on?

Thanks.
    Once you've trained your mind to spot a mania or herd behaviour actually its very easy.

Here are just a few off the top of my head I've observed in my lifetime.

It's great fun, see if you can come up with some more, there's always crowd psychology going on somewhere.

The 2008 oil implosion (which a few on this forum thought would never happen)
    The anti-apartheid herd demonstrators.
    The Albanian financial pyramids
    The 1980 gold and silver crash.
    The anti-Omega Queen Street demonstrators
    The 1990 tech wreck
    Real Estate (twice)
    The great 1990 Japanese meltdown
    Y2K
    80's pyramid schemes
    Asian implosion of '97
    Blue Chip
    Savings and Loan crash in the USA mid 80's
    Last edited by Skol; 15-04-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Yeah Marc faber is a smart man one of the many I listen too...he's very bearish US dollar,euro,pound--he's also bullish Gold

Once the crash happens in 2010-2012 in commodities (gold) and stocks and potentially real estate, where are the best opportunities at the market lows?

Stocks or commodities (gold, silver, oil)?

Once the crash happens in 2010-2012 in commodities (gold) and stocks and potentially real estate, where are the best opportunities at the market lows?

Stocks or commodities (gold, silver, oil)?
    Personal I like a bit of both stocks an real commodites

World markets all looking so bullish with the record profits ,thing is unfunded US liabilities or debt to gdp is not talked about ??