sharetrader
Page 293 of 874 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303343393793 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,930 of 8732

Thread: Gold

Did you enjoy the correction SKOL Gold back to $1829 After a nice healthy correction to low 1700's
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Did you enjoy the correction SKOL Gold back to $1829 After a nice healthy correction to low 1700's
    Yes I've noticed that, very interesting, the goldbugs will be very excited about the return to "normal".

Whew, thank goodness that's over.

http://steadfastfinances.com/blog/20...-into-the-hype

Tops are often characterized by colossal volume and that's what happened the other day, probably the major players getting out and selling to the 'little guy'.

There's lots of historic parallels between what's happening with gold right now and other manias from the past. One of the most sucessfully led manias of all time was the Nazi movement. Germans looked to their leaders; these were ordinary Germans doing what they thought were normal things. My mother has a dear friend who was in the Hitler Youth, she's a normal well adjusted person.

They loved Hitler, Goering, Goebbels, Speer, Bormann and all the other leaders, the same as Denpal looks to Stewart Thompson for leadership and reassurance other goldbugs look to the Aden Sisters, Peter Schiff or Clive Maund, hoping their telepathic abilities will lead them to the affluent promised land.
    Last edited by Skol; 27-08-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Yes I've noticed that, very interesting, the goldbugs will be very excited about the return to "normal".

Tops are often characterized by colossal volume and that's what happened the other day, probably the major players getting out and selling to the 'little guy'.

There's lots of historic parallels between what's happening with gold right now and other manias from the past. One of the most sucessfully led manias of all time was the Nazi movement. Germans looked to their leaders; these were ordinary Germans doing what they thought were normal things. My mother has a dear friend who was in the Hitler Youth, she's a normal well adjusted person.

They loved Hitler, Goering, Goebbels, Speer, Borman and all the other leaders, the same as Denpal looks to Stewart Thompson for leadership and reassurance other goldbugs look to the Aden Sisters, Peter Schiff or Clive Maund, hoping their telepathic abilities will lead them to the affluent promised land.
    Whereas you buy Telecom down 50% in a decade??????? Your credibility is shot, skol I'm afraid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by denpal View Post
    Whereas you buy Telecom down 50% in a decade??????? Your credibility is shot, skol I'm afraid.
    You're the one whose credibility is shot. I don't own Telecom.

Debating with you denpal is like going into battle against an unarmed opponent.
    Last edited by Skol; 27-08-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Legend

Regarding that bubble chart link, Skol, haven't we seen that before? 2-3 times, and it was first put on the web nearly 2 years ago. If you had to put the gold chart against that, the timeline for reckless 'retail' investing would have to be several years. And yet we know there are entire countries and some well-respected investors still buying gold right now. So maybe it hasn't even got past the institutional investors (stage 2) yet. As we have pointed out before, new gold mines are not looking for ore with one ounce per ton any more, it's more like 1 gram average per tonne, 30 times smaller grades. That costs, people have to pay that new figure, and it's tied to the oil (energy) price.

Skol, people love to gravitate towards views and opinions that match their own beliefs and desires. Trying to reason with or sway a goldbug to the "other side" is somewhat akin to pi****g into the wind...it just doesnt work no matter how hard you try to point it in the right direction. Its not a question of if gold falls like the proverbial rock its just a question of when. I hope all the goldies are very carefull to extract their profits periodically rather than just buy, buy and buy more. I know I wouldnt have the stomach to be in there.

They loved Hitler, Goering, Goebbels, Speer, Borman and all the other leaders, the same as Denpal looks to Stewart Thompson for leadership and reassurance other goldbugs look to the Aden Sisters, Peter Schiff or Clive Maund, hoping their telepathic abilities will lead them to the affluent promised land.

Legend

Birmanboy, perhaps you could suggest which standard shares I should be buying at the moment. I'd far rather hold a goldie share with some exposure to the surety of the gold price, rather than general stocks. And some explorers do become major players, with multi-baggers a real possibility. Beats the likes of Briscoes, The Warehouse, Telecom etc, where you can see the best likely result very quickly, and it's not so exciting.

Here's the Moneychanger for Friday, on why gold started its rise again. The market is not fooled by bluster.

We know from yesterday's events that Our Bosses are terrified, because they loaded the mouth of their biggest Blarney Cannon and fired it: Warren Buffett. Banks US and European are puking sick dogs, and Bank of America sickest amongst 'em. How, O, How will we gull the public into buying bank stocks? We'll get Warren Buffett to announce he's buying $5 billion of preferred stock in BoA. Now Warren ain't operating a charity, so the great humanitarian will not lose a dime on this deal. The preferred stock pays a 6% dividend and has the primary claim on BoA's assets, even before bondholders. Blarn! Blarn! Hear the Blarney Cannon!

Didn't work. Dow sank 170.81, after the early morning Buffet Blarney Barrage.

Then today Our Bosses fired another gun in their Blarney Battery: the Bernanke Blarney Blaster. Bernancubus gave a speech which everyone hoped would explain how he would save the world. Alas, the Bernanke Blarney Blaster mis-fired. Not even enough powder to blow the ball out of the tube.

Beside confirming his utterly incurable cluelessness, the Bernancubus blustered like some cheap, shabby magician that he has Tools You Know Not Of. Mmmmm, 'bout time to dig them tools out, Ben, and put 'em to work! Result of this was something only rarely seen every millennium, back to back Key Reversals in the gold market, which says to me -- and I am nothing but a natural born fool from Tennessee and have never even drawn nigh to them high-falutin' Harvards and Yales where Our Bosses are educated and made Perfect to Decide Our Pissant Destinies -- that not a single shot of the blarney cannons hit anything, and investors remain terrorized by the banks' condition. Proof? The crowds flee still gold- and silverward.
    Last edited by elZorro; 27-08-2011 at 04:15 PM.

You're the one whose credibility is shot. I don't own Telecom.

Debating with you denpal is like going into battle against an unarmed opponent.
    My bad, I meant Telstra as you mentioned that you had some of those.

Wouldnt matter what I suggested since you enjoy the excitement of the "chase". As I said I dont have the stomach for it but that is just me. Each to his or her own and yes I do own "boooooooring stocks" like Telecom, warehouse, Turners etc...most have one thing in common ..good to very good dividend yields with limited downside potential. Go for the gusto if you will. But if it was me In your shoes (a goldaholic?) I would make sure I keep some of my "golden eggs" in a variety of nests as opposed to sinking them all into bullion for example. The quest for multi baggers is fine as long as you get one occasionally to balance out the "no-shows". Only you know your results on that one and again it comes down to each persons toleration to risk. Mine is Zero ...yours is Zorro!! Anyway hope you make heaps..before it goes bye-bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Birmanboy, perhaps you could suggest which standard shares I should be buying at the moment. I'd far rather hold a goldie share with some exposure to the surety of the gold price, rather than general stocks. And some explorers do become major players, with multi-baggers a real possibility. Beats the likes of Briscoes, The Warehouse, Telecom etc, where you can see the best likely result very quickly, and it's not so exciting.

Here's the Moneychanger for Friday, on why gold started its rise again. The market is not fooled by bluster.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Wouldnt matter what I suggested since you enjoy the excitement of the "chase". As I said I dont have the stomach for it but that is just me. Each to his or her own and yes I do own "boooooooring stocks" like Telecom, warehouse, Turners etc...most have one thing in common ..good to very good dividend yields with limited downside potential. Go for the gusto if you will. But if it was me In your shoes (a goldaholic?) I would make sure I keep some of my "golden eggs" in a variety of nests as opposed to sinking them all into bullion for example. The quest for multi baggers is fine as long as you get one occasionally to balance out the "no-shows". Only you know your results on that one and again it comes down to each persons toleration to risk. Mine is Zero ...yours is Zorro!! Anyway hope you make heaps..before it goes bye-bye.
    Let's just say I understand how tough retail business is, and I do have spare capital outside my other investments, which is all I commit to shares (and one silver bar!). I have done more posting than earning so far, for several years of learning on ST. I will need a multi-bagger to get a decent return on that effort, even 10-20% per year (I wish) is not good enough compared to my other main investment. I'm not a goldaholic, but I have seen how much revenue sits in the mining sector, and when they gear up like they have been doing for the last few years, there must be some money to be made. I'll start panicking about the gold price when all the miners start hedging again. They have the most to lose or gain, and they know more about gold than the rest of us on the sidelines.