sharetrader
Page 296 of 871 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346396796 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 8709

Thread: Gold

Shes a woman..bling..bling. When I dont buy my partner flowers she goes out and buy them herself. Yes, ok I'm a sexist running dog I know. Its in the tiiming...I notice Teresa didnt say she was going out to buy more did she? I'm not interested in specs El Zorro...i may die before they deliver!!! I'm sure that many people make heaps off of bringing mining stocks to market...unfortunately they are too far removed from you or I to be of any real use to us. the money has come and gone before the average punter gets a shot at it. I'll settle for my paltry dividends and leave the big bucks for you guys. May you all get laid....(by the Golden Goose of course) :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Hi Birmanboy, well at least I know which side of the argument you're on..no doubts there.

If it's so clearcut, why did Teresa sell her Telecom shares and buy gold? Don't do it Birmanboy - keep that gold coin and resist buying standard shares for a while.

But research some good gold explorer or mining shares, look back a year or two and look at some of their gains, phenomenal. There are some very smart and well-connected people involved in mining, we just have to be smart enough to be sitting alongside them when their investment vehicle takes off.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Shes a woman..bling..bling. When I dont buy my partner flowers she goes out and buy them herself. Yes, ok I'm a sexist running dog I know. Its in the tiiming...I notice Teresa didnt say she was going out to buy more did she? I'm not interested in specs El Zorro...i may die before they deliver!!! I'm sure that many people make heaps off of bringing mining stocks to market...unfortunately they are too far removed from you or I to be of any real use to us. the money has come and gone before the average punter gets a shot at it. I'll settle for my paltry dividends and leave the big bucks for you guys. May you all get laid....(by the Golden Goose of course) :-)
    Sounds like your investments are no better than mine on average..it's hard work out there. Yes, I'm sure many IPOs are all about the original investors being desperate to get their ideas going, but running out of cash. They'd rather not list, and new shareholders need to keep them pinned down with disclosures to market. You also have to watch what they are up to with the shares they own, buy when they buy.

Another suggestion (since you like dividend shares so much), what about the engineering firms who supply equipment to miners? Some of those crashed in 2008, and then recovered 5-fold or more. However they are on the way back down now.

Banned

According to this article gold has reached the mania stage. That's for sure, and you all know what happens to manias, the newbies get skinned alive in a violent, ruinous end.

Goldbugs don't take kindly to contrarians and I've been called all kinds of names, e.g. a 'bankster', a stooge for the 'banksters', a paid downramper and others not so polite. I guess I'm on the 'dark side' with the 'banksters' and the 'govnuts'. You could call it a cult with its strange jargon and telepathic rampers promising astronomic returns as the world financial system supposedly ends in ruins. The psychology of the gold rush is fascinating, you read posts for example on Yahoo finance about gold and some of these people expect returns which are so unbelievable I can only guess they will be the ultimate victims of a reversal.

I was very surprised someone supposedly as savvy as Teresa would go public, because if it all starts going wrong, dogged journalists will follow up her tale of woe if she hasn't sold out.

http://www.investorplace.com/2011/08...bble-platinum/

Veteran novice

Goldbugs don't take kindly to contrarians and I've been called all kinds of names, e.g. a 'bankster', a stooge for the 'banksters', a paid downramper and others not so polite
    You won't be called names by me, Skol, but I think you're missing out if you weren't prepared to take a small position and ride the trend when gold has been "doing its thing". I think most of us recognise that there is a bubble element in all this but that doesn't mean we can't make money out of it. Personally, I've sold my physical gold but am keeping a small position in IGR meanwhile which I'll be happy to quit if and when the trend bends in a serious way.

El Zorro ...dont tell me when they are on the way down...thats just plain rude. I can see that you are desperate to have me committ some funds to the mining sector...how about if I buy more warehouse shares? Yes..they are involved ..they supply pencils to the accountants that manipulate the figures that make the IPO so attractive to the hopeful "investors". See, you won me over.
    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Sounds like your investments are no better than mine on average..it's hard work out there. Yes, I'm sure many IPOs are all about the original investors being desperate to get their ideas going, but running out of cash. They'd rather not list, and new shareholders need to keep them pinned down with disclosures to market. You also have to watch what they are up to with the shares they own, buy when they buy.

Another suggestion (since you like dividend shares so much), what about the engineering firms who supply equipment to miners? Some of those crashed in 2008, and then recovered 5-fold or more. However they are on the way back down now.

I'm sure that many people make heaps off of bringing mining stocks to market...unfortunately they are too far removed from you or I to be of any real use to us. the money has come and gone before the average punter gets a shot at it.
    Sorry, just got to say that what you said is a bit of a defeatist and ignorant statement, IMO.

There are plenty of opportunities that 'an average punter' has to make fantastic money out of junior explorers....they just have to be smart enough to identify them.
    Last edited by steve fleming; 28-08-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!

Dont be sorry. You obviously have inroads and access to information I dont. Presumably by your reasoning that make me ignorant. Opportunities are probably out there for you since you feel strongly about it and presumably have experience, but i still believe that the average speculator/investor ends up kissing a lot of of toads in their quest to find the 'right" junior explorer. I know my limits and I recognise that i dont have the inclination to spend huge amounts of time researching these explorers before I strike it lucky. My goals are different than yours from an investment perspective...that doesnt mean its defeatist just realistic. Also, I really dont think "smart enough" is the appropriate term however ...in my book "smart" money doesnt chase after speculative ventures. Perhaps in your case it should be "lucky enough" . However, that said I'm sure everynow and then big bucks can be made. and I wish you well...but please dont try and turn a speculative operation into an "investment". That just wont fit the definition of investment in my book. Your book is is a few chapters short on details to be worthy of reading (IMO)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve fleming View Post
    Sorry, just got to say that what you said is a bit of a defeatist and ignorant statement, IMO.

There are plenty of opportunities that 'an average punter' has to make fantastic money out of junior explorers....they just have to be smart enough to identify them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve fleming View Post

Like NAV, I don't know how many times I've seen that one pushed on Hot copper and here.

JBMurc was a very big fan.

Veteran novice

I'm with steve on this one.

We don't get them all right and it does take a lot of reading and research - from publicly available info I might add. But as long as one doesn't go wild and bet the bank, ie moderate amounts on each pick, one five or six bagger will more than make up for a couple that fail and another couple that go nowhere. And don't be slow to get rid of the failures - a trailing stop loss can save a lot of heartache and doesn't have to be automatically applied, just keep an eye on the market!

Insiders don't make all the money!

Legend

Dont be sorry. You obviously have inroads and access to information I dont. Presumably by your reasoning that make me ignorant. Opportunities are probably out there for you since you feel strongly about it and presumably have experience, but i still believe that the average speculator/investor ends up kissing a lot of of toads in their quest to find the 'right" junior explorer. I know my limits and I recognise that i dont have the inclination to spend huge amounts of time researching these explorers before I strike it lucky. My goals are different than yours from an investment perspective...that doesnt mean its defeatist just realistic. Also, I really dont think "smart enough" is the appropriate term however ...in my book "smart" money doesnt chase after speculative ventures. Perhaps in your case it should be "lucky enough" . However, that said I'm sure everynow and then big bucks can be made. and I wish you well...but please dont try and turn a speculative operation into an "investment". That just wont fit the definition of investment in my book. Your book is is a few chapters short on details to be worthy of reading (IMO)
    Can I just butt in here: that's a load of rubbish BB, we have seen the experienced TA people yank all their money off the table when things start going pear-shaped, then sitting back and telling us so. Were their shares investments, or just a gamble too? They still call themselves 'investors'.

I have found sharetrading is like starting up a business, don't expect great results for the first few years, and you'll need to work hard at your craft. You just have to look at Steve Fleming's footnote to understand he probably does do a lot better than most of us. So read his comments politely.