sharetrader
Page 32 of 874 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold

I dont get how we can have inflation if consumers aren't spending money but saving it and unemployment is still rising?

Why are the stock markets going up still when businesses aren't making much more money than in 2008 and unemployment and consumer spending aren't looking too flash. All the fundamentals are looking bad whilst all the markets are looking good...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post
    I dont get how we can have inflation if consumers aren't spending money but saving it and unemployment is still rising?

Why are the stock markets going up still when businesses aren't making much more money than in 2008 and unemployment and consumer spending aren't looking too flash. All the fundamentals are looking bad whilst all the markets are looking good...
    You'll have to direct a question like that to Upside Umop who knows about that, but remember the markets are trying to predict what's going to happen in the future and there have been some quite good earnings out in the USA recently.

Gold making new short term highs in AUD 1290 talk round the USD gaining even more back on the AUD new producers like NAV with high start up costs per oz of $800oz AUD still be looking at a tidy $490oz-------- EBIT of $49mill june 2010-2011
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Banned

JB,
    Gold is down in USD the XGD is really tanking and USD is way up.
    Tell me why, when in times of crisis everyone goes for USD. Why isn't gold the flavour of the day right now?
    Tim Geithner was right, everyone still goes for the USD despite the goldbugs saying it's doomed.

Oil went up 8 times in 8 years and then the inevitable happened. Down 81%.
    Last edited by Skol; 05-05-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Till the next day the USD is in huge trouble it's not if but when it falls to new all time lows an in time to 0
    You still believe that JB?
    There's one thing I've noticed recently, goldbugs love to go quote ancient history. Why is that?
    Last edited by Skol; 05-05-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    JB,
    Gold is down in USD the XGD is really tanking and USD is way up.
    Tell me why, when in times of crisis everyone goes for USD. Why isn't gold the flavor of the day right now?
    Tim Geithner was right, everyone still goes for the USD despite the goldbugs saying it's doomed.
    flavor
    Oil went up 8 times in 8 years and then the inevitable happened. Down 81%.
    yep then oil went back up as producers where stopping exploration an demand increased prices went up an will continue to go up with inflation
    The USD attached debt is only going one way how can any smart economist see the hugely increasing USD debt levels as a positive step longer term
    If interest rates go back to some kind of sane level the US will be paying 1 trillion just in interest per year on the massive debt.
    Last edited by JBmurc; 05-05-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

USD is (a) where debt is centred and so it must be bought to pay off those debts (deleveraging)
    and (b) the reserve currency of the world and
    (c) militarily, the US is the strongest country by far , controls all the shipping lanes , the continent of North America is impregnable

so thats why its the safe haven, and especially when the EU seems to be imploding...

ENP here is a graph of a bubble
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    USD is (a) where debt is centred and so it must be bought to pay off those debts (deleveraging)
    and (b) the reserve currency of the world and
    (c) militarily, the US is the strongest country by far , controls all the shipping lanes , the continent of North America is impregnable

so thats why its the safe haven, and especially when the EU seems to be imploding...

ENP here is a graph of a bubble
    Where do you think we are now on that graph? Bull trap? Fear?

Banned

Conspiracy theory #2.

Every time gold goes up the Federal Reserve contacts the world major major banks and instructs them to short gold.

Only problem with this wacko theory is that unless physical gold is actually sold it will have nil effect on the POG.

not really sure myself.... it could be still in the mania phase or the bull trap - compare and make your own call....
    I got out of my speculative gold longs quite quickly as trading gold is scary to my money management rules but still hold some silver for the long term but have an acceptance of high volatility (possible low prices) with that.
    People I listen to (Global Gann Financial) remain bullish on gold but EWI (Prechter using Elliot Wave) spotted an ending diagonal triangle formation (bearish)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....