sharetrader
Page 391 of 871 FirstFirst ... 291341381387388389390391392393394395401441491 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,910 of 8708

Thread: Gold

Guru

If things go well,most likely Gold will benefit-If things dont it will most likely fall.
    If it really goes badly,the US may consider QE3,so who knows?
    At this stage no matter what you or I say -Its a lottery
    The fact that Gold went up 2.5% this week suggests that most are betting on things going well--but who knows?

One thing we can safely say is that whatever happens next week -it will have nothing to do with your past dealings in Gold

Banned

It's a lottery all right, which is why I don't have any money in it, I don't feel like getting poor.

I see Bullion Buyer NZ has gone under owing $2.5m and the firm's 'chief trader' was a drug addict with a string of convictions, another collection of scamsters playing on people's greed, buy gold and get rich. Protect yourself from the incompetent politicians, greedy banksters and 'collapsing paper money'. LOL

The first thing the public should learn about is protecting their money from themselves.

Like the avaricious gamblers that indebted themselves for decades speculating on property and then lost out. It all comes down to asset allocation, which even the most educated punters appeared to have ignored or failed at University, overexposure can be a ballbreaker, but I suppose each new generation needs to learn that.

But back to Bullion Buyer. One punter gave them $160,000 and another couple reportedly had 'hundreds of thousands' in it.

Poverty beckons.
    Last edited by Skol; 16-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Guru

Youve got money in it,one way or the other.
    In your case,its $US amoung probably other things [Shares?]
    Golds not the only lottery in town.
    If you've got anything,you've in to something

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    ...It all comes down to asset allocation, which even the most educated punters appeared to have ignored or failed at University, overexposure can be a ballbreaker, but I suppose each new generation needs to learn that...
    Very true Skol. And I would say a truely diversified portfolio should include some exposure to precious metals. It's not just for the goldbugs :-) And it's not only 'eurogeddon' where precious metals will do well. In my case the profits I made on gold companies in 2009/2010 more than made up for the losses I suffered elsewhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by corran View Post
    Very true Skol. And I would say a truely diversified portfolio should include some exposure to precious metals. It's not just for the goldbugs :-) And it's not only 'eurogeddon' where precious metals will do well. In my case the profits I made on gold companies in 2009/2010 more than made up for the losses I suffered elsewhere.
    In 2009/2010/2011 the the profits I made in boring, very safe cash and bank deposits thrashed almost every other investment on the planet. Gold and silver have no utility, it's a craze that will soon end, it was precipitated by hard money newsletters and idiots like Max Keiser, Stacy Herbert and Glenn Beck.

The colossal amount of gold sold to these suckers over the last few years is staggering, but it's come to an end, the gold market in India is all but over and the sale of gold eagles and other boondoggles in the USA has cratered.
    Last edited by Skol; 17-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Legend

In 2009/2010/2011 the the profits I made in boring, very safe cash and bank deposits thrashed almost every other investment on the planet. Gold and silver have no utility, it's a craze that will soon end, precipitated by hard money newsletters and idiots like Max Keiser, Stacy Herbert and Glenn Beck.

The colossal amount of gold sold to these suckers over the last few years is staggering, but it's come to an end, the gold market in India is all but over and the sale of gold eagles and other boondoggles in the USA has cratered.
    And other famous last words..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Youve got money in it,one way or the other.
    In your case,its $US amoung probably other things [Shares?]
    Golds not the only lottery in town.
    If you've got anything,you've in to something
    Correct, I own shares, and some of them in USD. The USD is the world's reserve currency and shares mostly provide a dividend. Gold does nothing, it's speculating, hoping a 'greater fool' will turn up.

Meanwhile here's something from Jon Nadler's latest newsletter:

Bullion is still confined to the $1,550-$1650 trading range and on the technical side of its paradigm there is nothing much new to report. Michael Shaoul, the New York-based chairman of Marketfield Asset Management said that gold prices may decline to as low a level as $1,300 later this year after they breach support at $1,520 per ounce. Mr. Shaoul remarked that gold is not a “viable alternative” to [fiat] currencies. Speaking at a Bloomberg Link conference in Boston on Thursday, Mr. Shaoul cautioned that monetary easing by various central banks will not “inevitably” lead to a moonshot in gold prices.
    Last edited by Skol; 17-06-2012 at 02:39 PM.

In 2009/2010/2011 the the profits I made in boring, very safe cash and bank deposits thrashed almost every other investment on the planet. .
    There were loads of multi-bagger shares in the 2009-2011 period, in many countries the rebound from the lows of March 2009 turned into one of the fastest growing bull market ever.

If you had the guts to invest during that time you could build real wealth. If you kept it stuck in the bank you barely progressed. You would have been far better off buying gold and silver coins ;-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by corran View Post
    There were loads of multi-bagger shares in the 2009-2011 period, in many countries the rebound from the lows of March 2009 turned into one of the fastest growing bull market ever.

If you had the guts to invest during that time you could build real wealth. If you kept it stuck in the bank you barely progressed. You would have been far better off buying gold and silver coins ;-)
    All very well to speak with hindsight but for every gold share that was a multi-bagger there were 50 that were dogs.

OK, money in the bank isn't great, 4%, but beats the hell out of gold since August last year, down 16%. At least I've still go it my money.

You must have heard of that expression, "I don't want a return on my money, I just the return of my money"?

Gold share investors have invariably been massive losers in the last year or two with indexes down as much as 50%, which makes a relatively risk-free 4%p.a. look positively wonderful.

The XAU for example is 20% behind the S&P500 for the last year, and when you're down 20% you have to make 25% just to break even.

The Market Vector Junior Gold Miners is 43% behind the S&P500 in the last year and 50% for the last 2 years and the chart is a terminal case , to break even you'll have to make a gain of 100 %.

The Market Vector Junior Gold Miners is 60% behind gold for the last 2 years,(about 200% gain required to break even) probably pointing the way for precious metals in the year ahead.

No thanks, good quality shares, no debt, no shonky currencies, property and money in the bank in the meantime, if it all turns to a can of worms in Euroland there's only one place to be - have some moolah in the mighty, indestructable USD, and since you live in the Netherlands corran, you might be a lot poorer in a few days time relative to non-Euroland.

I'm coming to Europe on vacation later this year, could be a very, very cheap holiday.
    Last edited by Skol; 17-06-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Skol - you just have to apply a little bit of basic technical analysis and you'll be able to preserve most of your profits when shares start going down. You should try it!

I've got a lot of my portfolio outside Europe in cash, if eurogeddon eventuates I'm looking forward to paying off my mortgage in cash and picking up some bargains.

I hope for your sake you're not naive enough to think the USD is going to be indestructible forever, there'll come a time when it will go the way of the euro.

If you're coming to Amsterdam let me know, I'll buy you a beer