sharetrader
Page 40 of 872 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140540 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold

I'm not paying any homage to any "leader", i merely posted an article that also raises the issue of inflation.

(Yes, Kitco has some rampant Gold bugs/bulls on it, im not one of them)

You can't keep printing money & expect it won't devalue your currency, Zimbabwe is a prime example of this.

The US will face an inflation problem down the line, which will more than likely further devalue it's currency & boost Gold.

It's not rocket science here

You're really scratching the barrel to introduce Adolf Hitler into a gold debate/thread!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    You're really scratching the barrel to introduce Adolf Hitler into a gold debate/thread!
    Not at all.
    Adolf Hitler wasn't perfect, far from it, but he was one dude who knew about herd instinct better than anyone else.
    The Nazi movement was one of the best examples of crowd behaviour in history.
    Last edited by Skol; 14-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Not at all.
    Adolf Hitler wasn't perfect, far from it, but he was one dude who knew about herd behaviour better than anyone else.
    The Nazi movement was one of the best examples of crowd behaviour in history.
    He wasn't an economist either, but Germany did well after the war - maybe he was a gold bug!

Veteran novice

I don't know where Skol's point about a "leader" sprang from?

I couldn't see any reference to such in the Kitco article and shasta certainly didn't use the word.

It seems perfectly logical to me that while governments keep printing money, the threat of high inflation will persist and the price of gold will remain firm. I won't be buying any physical gold but I have a small part of my spec portfolio in gold stocks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I don't know where Skol's point about a "leader" sprang from?

I couldn't see any reference to such in the Kitco article and shasta certainly didn't use the word.

It seems perfectly logical to me that while governments keep printing money, the threat of high inflation will persist and the price of gold will remain firm. I won't be buying any physical gold but I have a small part of my spec portfolio in gold stocks.
    No he didn't use the word 'leader', but goldbugs do require a leader. Check out gold websites, it's full of the prophets of doom who tell us the end is nigh and use the same boring, hackneyed phrases.

It's bollocks. Inflation? Where is it?

Like peak oil.
    LOL
    Last edited by Skol; 14-05-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    No he didn't use the word 'leader', but goldbugs do require a leader. Check out gold websites, it's full of the prophets of doom who tell us the end is nigh and use the same boring, hackneyed phrases.

It's bollocks. Inflation? Where is it?

Like peak oil.
    LOL

Inflation will appear when the US economy picks up, & interest rates rise & we get to the upper end of the economic cycle.

That could be a year or two away, who knows.

But if they keep printing money, it's getting closer all the time

Guru

Hey skol, Thanks for your reply.
    Do you take your que from the politicians?
    Im not saying the end is near,but i see that China and others are starting to slowly move away from $US base assets.They are trying to buy Kiwi farms and telling their people to buy silver for savings.
    Some other form of value aside from paper money.Does that seem so far fetched?
    Im not selling the house to buy gold,but I do have a bit as an insurance policy.
    After all,we do live in uncertain times

You can in fact have deflation (as opposed to inflation) while they are printing money.
    It would occur when credit is being removed from the system faster than the money is being printed - and that IS what's happening now.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    You can in fact have deflation (as opposed to inflation) while they are printing money.
    It would occur when credit is being removed from the system faster than the money is being printed - and that IS what's happening now.
    It's about to change, way too much money being printed, gold will be "the" choice of currency again, sooner than later.

Remember Germany, 19twenties, cash was trash and it took a wheelbarrow of it to to buy a loaf of bread, WELL it looks like the Germans are getting ready.

Gulf hotel installs gold-dispensing machine

Amena Bakr
    DUBAI
    Thu May 13, 2010 12:49pm EDT

View Full Size

DUBAI (Reuters) - It's the ultimate hole-in-the-wall -- a money machine that dispenses pure gold.
    Lifestyle
    But installed beneath the gold-coated ceilings of Abu Dhabi's Emirates Palace hotel, where royalty and billionaires come for cappuccinos topped with gold flakes, the machine almost seems part of the furniture.
    "The reason we chose Emirates Palace is because it really fits with the surroundings here," said German entrepreneur Thomas Geissler, creator of the "Gold to Go" brand and chief executive of Ex Oriente Lux.
    The exterior of the machine is coated with a thin layer of gold and offers customers 320 items to choose from, ranging from gold bars that can weigh up to 10 grams, to customized gold coins.
    "All the gold is imported from Germany, and soon we will have a customized gold bar with a print of the Emirates Palace logo, which will be a nice souvenir for guests to take home," said Geissler.
    Through a computer system, the ATM gold machine updates the gold price every 10 minutes to match international markets.
    For now, it takes notes of the local dirham currency, but the option of using credit cards will soon be introduced.
    The cash-for-gold machines were first tested in Germany in 2009, but Geissler chose Abu Dhabi for the official launch of his invention because of the region's high demand for gold.
    "On the first night we had a lot of demand," he said. "One customer even bought one item of every product we have."
    Geissler's timing is spot-on, as investors flock to gold as a safe haven from economic turbulence.
    On Thursday, gold priced in sterling and euros reached record highs, while that priced in the more usual dollar denomination was quoted at $1,236 an ounce, with dealers expecting it to reach fresh highs over coming days.
    (Editing by Paul Casciato)
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Gulf hotel installs gold-dispensing machine

If there is a silver version, I'm sure JBM will order one for his basement.