sharetrader
Page 442 of 871 FirstFirst ... 342392432438439440441442443444445446452492542 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,420 of 8708

Thread: Gold

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    I've been having a debate on another thread with JBMurc on gold.
    Personally I think it's going to be a fizzer and we've seen the highs for the next few years.
    I reckon the stockmarkets could do well for a while and when the gold bugs, most of whom are new at the game realise what they're missing out on will jump ship and cash in their yellow metal.

Opportunity cost, insurance and safekeeping make it a risky investment and in the event of a real crisis you probably couldn't sell it, divide it into smaller pieces or eat it.

Warren Buffet agrees with me and reckons it's a waste of time. The rationale for gold bugs bullishness is the coming implosion of the $US they say.

The USA virtually paid for World War 2, Berlin Airlift and the Cold War for another 50 years all done with debt, like the stimulus.

The early '80's saw a revival of gold for a short period with investment experts imploring punters to buy gold to avoid the coming meltdown but it ended in tears.
    For those of you looking over your shoulder for the wolf--this is post no.1 dec31 2009

Banned

Yes and it increased for another 20 months and has been a fizzer ever since.

Gold and silver are the worst investments on the planet for the last 20 months.

Manias know no bounds, suckers push assets that have no intrinsic value like gold, tulips, silver to unimaginable proportions before they learn their lesson.

Silver's down 41.3% from its high a while back, I must pile into it while its cheap skid. lol

Guru

Gold was around $900 oz when you first posted--now it is $1600.
    Now if you would have said to buy gold from dec 2009 until late 2011,and then started in on the crash scenario--well,then maybe you would have my ear.
    Youve still got a long way to go to $900 [same distance as $2300]

Guru

Even silver was at about $15oz dec 09 now $29 still a ways to go there as well..

Skid what are these prices when you adjust for inflation.
    Possum The Cat

Guru

For those keeping a bit as insurance,its not really such a big deal,the ups and downs.
    For those that are trading,then research is definitely needed and you must choose carefully what info, and who you listen to.

Just ''keeping you honest''

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Gold was around $900 oz when you first posted--now it is $1600.
    Now if you would have said to buy gold from dec 2009 until late 2011,and then started in on the crash scenario--well,then maybe you would have my ear.
    Youve still got a long way to go to $900 [same distance as $2300]
    Incorrect.

On the last day of 2009, gold was $1100, NOT $900, no exaggeration thank you.

Guru

Stand corrected-but the point is still the same--still a fair way down. aqnd lets not forget ,you predicted $760
    Dont get me wrong-Im not saying that gold will never fall,and because its higher[or lower]than it was xxxyr ago is not a solid reason to predict where it will go from here.[in itself]
    There are lots of reasons why gold goes up and down.
    The point I am making is that your advice is based more on emotions rather than solid logic for the most part, and your track record does not merit me taking it seriously.
    Last edited by skid; 28-02-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Skid what are these prices when you adjust for inflation.
    I guess the same as any investment we made back in dec 2009
    If we had left it in cash it would just be a matter of adding on the interest[there are probably more than a few of us who wish we had done just that,instead of whatever we invested in]

Dont mistake me as someone who is blindly supporting the yellow stuff--I just hold a bit as insurance,just in case it really hits the fan.[Id be lying if I said I had much trust in the economy ATM.]

Is just the opposite--I dont agree with those who blindly support-or detract.
    Things are changing all the time. IMHO if you dont change with them [especially those who become emotionally involved] then there could be a price to pay for your attachment.

Looks to me that its in a nuetral phase ATM--Dont think I would be buying or selling

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Stand corrected-but the point is still the same--still a fair way down. aqnd lets not forget ,you predicted $760
    The point I am making is that your advice is based more on emotions rather than solid logic for the most part, and your track record does not merit me taking it seriously.
    And I'm still predicting $760, it could take some time to get there, some commentators reckon it'll go much lower.

It's not based on emotion, just the fact that it's completely out of whack with what could be regarded as the 'mean'.

They reckon there's no such thing as a free lunch, but there's been one in shares for a fair while, too bad you're hung up on gold.

The world isn't ending, it's a Jim Sinclair fantasy, which reminds me he's getting lots of hate mail recently, which he sees as a contrarian indicator. lol