sharetrader
Page 507 of 874 FirstFirst ... 7407457497503504505506507508509510511517557607 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 8733

Thread: Gold

Default Gold history

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A strange glow in space has provided fresh evidence that all the gold on Earth was forged from ancient collisions of dead stars, researchers reported Wednesday.

Astronomers have long known that fusion reactions in the cores of stars create lighter elements such as carbon and oxygen, but such reactions can't produce heavier elements like gold.

Instead, it was long thought that gold was created in a type of stellar explosion known as a supernova. But that doesn't fully explain the amount of the precious metal in the solar system.

About a decade ago, a team from Europe using supercomputers suggested that gold, platinum and other heavy metals could be formed when two exotic stars — neutron stars — crash and merge. Neutron stars are essentially stellar relics — collapsed cores of massive stars.

Now telescopes have detected such an explosion, and the observation bolsters the notion that gold in our jewelry was made in such rare and violent collisions long before the birth of the solar system about 4½ billion years ago.

People "walk around with a little tiny piece of the universe," said lead researcher Edo Berger of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

http://www.redding.com/news/2013/jul...forged-gold-ea
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Banned

Yeah, and Elvis Presley will be on the 6 o'clock news tomorrow night.

Legend

I think that's a great way of looking at gold JB. It really is special, like all the other heavy elements.

Here's a link to the article that is current.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...th-study-says/

AWOL

What a completely fatuous statement. People "walk around with a little tiny piece of the universe," said lead researcher Edo Berger of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.
    I can walk around with a shovelful of sand, a glassful of water or a lungful of air and I'm walking around with a tiny piece of the universe. Wow ( and I dont mean world of warcraft) and hes at HARVARD!!!
    Last edited by Minerbarejet; 23-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    stranger things have happened
    Attachment 4666
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Not very often you here a mainstream news stream like reuters with a more open view on Gold (and not the usual anti bah bah) ..

- The actual message of the backwardation is that there is behind the curtains a lack of confidence in the fiat monetary system, a de facto rejection of paper money by some people who prefer the real money (gold and silver)," said Barba.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0FP1CB20130719

-add this in with the fact the likes of the Big bullion banks are finally going long after years of holding much bigger short positions ...
    massive bounce in long term Bull trend 2k> the big boys made a killing on the way down thanks to them Gold had it's biggest Qtr fall in history ...now the same guys are getting set to make a by killing pushing it much higher thanks to good old leverage....just before killing off a bulk of the PM producers they just loaded up in...IMHO (I see recently US Gov talk of a move to stop Banks etc trading in commodities)
    Last edited by JBmurc; 23-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Dennis Gartman has been a gold bear for quite some time & has now flipped & also talks up gold equities as they will out perform gold as they did on the way down. I have met Dennis a few times & seen him speak at various functions. I don't always agree with him, but he quite often spots what others don't.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100907001

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Dennis Gartman has been a gold bear for quite some time & has now flipped & also talks up gold equities as they will out perform gold as they did on the way down. I have met Dennis a few times & seen him speak at various functions. I don't always agree with him, but he quite often spots what others don't.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100907001
    Haven't met him but have read a lot of his stuff. His is right more often than wrong but it can be tough to shadow-trade him. He changes his short term stance more often than I change my socks. Note he says he flipped three weeks ago but he wasn't on CNBC talking about it then!

If gold gets any momentum here the same market factors that drove it down will exaggerate the upside: ETF buying, short-covering, fear of missing out. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts but probably not long enough for us to become 'billionaires'.
    Felix, qui potest rerum cognoscere causas

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    I bought back into Gold today, after been out for almost 20 months, through shares in couple of companies and an ETF. Gold @ 1250.
    GDX entry $23.55, today $28.35 +20.3% in under 4 weeks.
    GDXJ entry $38.40, today $44.58 +16.0% in under 4 weeks.

Gold @ 1345 +7.6%
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Elvis, now there's a man who liked to wear a lot of gold! All we need to do is bring back Elvis & Liberace & gold to da moon! LOL