sharetrader
Page 509 of 871 FirstFirst ... 9409459499505506507508509510511512513519559609 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,090 of 8708

Thread: Gold

From your Idol Benny pre-GFC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QpD64GUoXw
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    The GFC came about because too many stupid people borrowed too much money, something The Economist and the FT warned about for years.
    Quite simple.

And if you want an example of some very well educated but very stupid people look no further than Lehmanns, who leveraged their assets 35 times.
    University graduates, God spare me.

Mostly it was greed. If you want to talk about corruption, have a look in your own back yard, 70 odd finance companies going under.
    Excellent post Skol. Do you have some special way of reading my mind because if you did that is exactally what it would have said. The GFC had to happen sooner or later and it would have been better for all if it were much sooner ---like about 1995
    digger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    Excellent post Skol. Do you have some special way of reading my mind because if you did that is exactally what it would have said. The GFC had to happen sooner or later and it would have been better for all if it were much sooner ---like about 1995
    Digger,

That's right, 70 finance companies go into receivership, something JB Murc doesn't really want to talk about because that's 'here', not in the USA. Real bad things have happened here too, finance companies, receiverships, mortgagee sales, gold scams, leaking houses, Blue Chip, David Ross,etc. etc.
    Last edited by Skol; 25-07-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Digger,

That's right, 70 finance companies go into receivership, something JB Murc doesn't really want to talk about because that's 'here', not in the USA. Real bad things have happened here too, finance companies, receiverships, mortgagee sales, gold scams, leaking houses, Blue Chip, etc. etc.
    I'm more than happy to talk about it ! fact is whats to talk about NZ Finance companies pushes high yield returns via safe mortgage backed investment but the money was going into high risk spec build's that no Bank was keen on lending on ....pretty bloody simple
    I myself was doing some spec build's locally glad to have sold the last one for tidy profit ...could see the writing the wall ..but thats
    very micro ...I'm talking more so marco.... On why we had the bubble in the housing markets and the fact nothing really changed
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Banned

SPDR Gold Trust down 42 tons for the month so far.

SPDR Gold Trust down 42 tons for the month so far.
    Yet gold is rising Skol. What's that tell you? Gold was dumped/shorted on a massive scale & that shook out massive liquidation from the ETFS. Gold would need to go back above $1550-1600 area for the same to happen again imo. There is little bang for the hedge fund's buck to short gold here & the risk is that the physical & CB demand at levels lower than the total cost of production prevents gold from going much below circa $1200. Could we see more ETF liquidation? Yes of course, however one would think most of the weak holders are already out. In regards the GFC had to happen as too many were borrowing too much too cheaply. Couldn't agree more & the likes of Goldman's peddling triple AAA rated CDOs that should have been rated at junk was the final straw. So if that was one of the major causes of the GFC, what do you call Governments that are doing the same on a much bigger in fact massive scale & at rates that are almost at zero? What will be the impact of that?

I saw Max Keiser this morning & yes he's a bit off the wall, but also very funny. Talking about the very current issue of banks involvement in physical commodity markets. Having traded the LME market for a number of years & seeing what was going on in the aluminium market for the last 4-5 years, this was always going to come to a head.

http://rt.com/shows/keiser-report/ep...ax-keiser-536/

Banned

Keiser and ditzy Stacy Herbert have been predicting financial Armageddon for years, you must be the only one that watches them.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    You must have been reading articles like this Silverlight.. the ETF numbers dwarf the 300 physical tonnes Germany wants back, but still, there are pressures on every ounce of gold that is being produced. Larger miners are scaling back predicted annual output by about 10%, at the current prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...more-gold.html
    Actually I don't read a lot of articles focussed on micro changes within sectors, unless I am really curious. From my experience, for me, it creates too much noise, that sways your opinion on making good short term trading decisions. Gold and silver have made large negative moves, backed up by speculators moving to their smallest long positions in over 6 years. This means there is little to zero downwards pressure left, best time to go long an asset is when everyone has sold in my experience.

Although I do own rare silver coins passively, I am not a perma bull or bear on gold, you can only trade well on sentiment, everything else is noise.
    ~ * ~ De Peones a Reinas ~ * ~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    This means there is little to zero downwards pressure left, best time to go long an asset is when everyone has sold in my experience.
    Then why is the SPDR Gold Trust losing 2 tons every day?

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    can we not see the end of the secular bull market in gold here people? its over, and we will most likely see a levelling off followed by slow decline. the market is finding the bottom in order to balance. once a secular bear starts, its game over for many years (unless you short!)
    Quite frankly no I can't see that & just saying it doesn't make it so. Why would there be a slow decline? The only real source of supply has been the ETFs & once that is sold its done. Asia is buying gold like its going out of fashion & the developing countries that are actually solvent are buying gold & by the truck load. To put it in Skol's terms, the CBs of the BRICs have backed the truck up & are coming back for more. What amases me is that people can't see this is the start of the Asian century & it is the Asians who have a love affair with gold.