sharetrader
Page 626 of 871 FirstFirst ... 126526576616622623624625626627628629630636676726 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,260 of 8708

Thread: Gold

Skid, you are probably right, well from a Western point of view. i.e. US centric.
    I actually think gold can still perform even if equity markets perform, not as well if they weren't but still ok.
    Reason being I still think ETF selling slows & perhaps even turns positive. If European markets start improving, perhaps there is less reason to sell gold? I suppose it could also be a reason to sell to put money into the equity markets. If people are more secure & their wealth growing they will buy more jewelry. Lastly & most importantly I don't see the appetite in Asia waning & I think that appetite will outweigh ETF & European selling in 2014.

However if equity markets don't perform in 2014, gold does even better.

I'm not saying gold goes up in all & any conditions, however at the current price level relative to production costs there is reason to be optimistic imo.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    As long as the share market remains the ''gamblers delight'' Gold wont do much in the way of major breakthroughs IMO.
    They say this is the year to invest in ''growth stocks'' which all to often means a (calculated?) lottery ticket.
    Gold is the gamblers delight, it has no yield and no intrinsic value, whereas listed companies make and do real things.
    Gold never ever contributed to the world economy except for mining companies digging it out of the ground.

Ask Warren Buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Skid, you are probably right, well from a Western point of view. i.e. US centric.
    I actually think gold can still perform even if equity markets perform, not as well if they weren't but still ok.
    Reason being I still think ETF selling slows & perhaps even turns positive. If European markets start improving, perhaps there is less reason to sell gold? I suppose it could also be a reason to sell to put money into the equity markets. If people are more secure & their wealth growing they will buy more jewelry. Lastly & most importantly I don't see the appetite in Asia waning & I think that appetite will outweigh ETF & European selling in 2014.

However if equity markets don't perform in 2014, gold does even better.

I'm not saying gold goes up in all & any conditions, however at the current price level relative to production costs there is reason to be optimistic imo.
    recent history shows GOLD did very well along with world markets ...most bullish moves of late has been JPM building it's physical holdings while also reducing it's massive short position and also selling it's commodities business .....

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101335281
    - Six months after announcing plans to sell its physical commodities business, JPMorgan Chase is close to a final deal, according to a source familiar with the matter.

which also works in with ---

Fed considers new limits on banks in physical commodity trade
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5786718.story
    Last edited by JBmurc; 15-01-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Gold is the gamblers delight, it has no yield and no intrinsic value, whereas listed companies make and do real things.
    Gold never ever contributed to the world economy except for mining companies digging it out of the ground.

Ask Warren Buffet.
    Yin and Yang IMO--You gamble on the sharmarket(flying high)-your gambling against gold (gold reacts IMO)
    Unless your you-and then your always against gold and mayby dont consider its relation to the share market and the economy (which are not always the same thing)

Your response was predictable

Moosie, unlike JPM, we won't be bailed out when it all turns to custard!

I really find it hard to believe that JPM had a spec short that large! 7.5M toz is a gob smackingly big position. I wouldn't be surprised if this number included hedging client positions & in fact that I would say that was the majority of the position.

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Why worry about import/export, ETF's, premiums, production etc when all you need to do is follow JP Morgan?

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Taylor/2014...r-Markets.html
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Veteran novice

[QUOTEMoosie, unlike JPM, we won't be bailed out when it all turns to custard!
    ][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that JPM would be either, these days. Perhaps it would have to be another Lehmann Bros, instead?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    [QUOTEMoosie, unlike JPM, we won't be bailed out when it all turns to custard!
    ]
    I'm not sure that JPM would be either, these days. Perhaps it would have to be another Lehmann Bros, instead?[/QUOTE]

No Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan, sits on the board of the New York Fed ...the FED can print money out of thin air the likes of JPM will never go bankrupt doesn't matter how big the stuff up or fine the FED can bail them out and US tax payers gets the bill pays the interest...

those at the very top can't lose ..unless the FED's Fiat money lost value completely
    Last edited by JBmurc; 16-01-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

US Mint Notes Strong Sales Of 2014 Gold, Silver Coins
    By Kitco News
    Wednesday January 15, 2014 8:19 AM
    (Kitco News) - U.S. Mint’s coin sales for 2014 are off to a strong start, with first-day sales of American Eagle silver bullion coins nearly reaching weekly capacity, the Mint said late Tuesday.

The Mint started its 2014 silver sales on Monday, with a weekly allocation of American Eagle silver bullion coins of 3.575 million coins. Between Monday and Tuesday’s sales, 203,500 are left, the Mint said.
    http://www.kitco.com/news/2014-01-15...ver-Coins.html

From CPM. I thought this was a good read, maybe its because I agree with him so I find it pleasing & am biased. However he openly states that they called to be short gold in 2013 so they are obviously agnostic which I find refreshing.

http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/gol...tian-011620143

Comex stocks are getting interesting to say the least !

http://dzswc0o8s13dx.cloudfront.net/...3_16-01-14.png