sharetrader
Page 689 of 871 FirstFirst ... 189589639679685686687688689690691692693699739789 ... LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,890 of 8708

Thread: Gold

Guru

That includes losing the unemployment benefit--you are then off the stats

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    That includes losing the unemployment benefit--you are then off the stats
    I think I understand your point, Skid.

My point is that yes, the unemployment rate may go down but that may (partly at least) be due to people no longer participating in the labour market.

If they had a choice to do so, as previously, then they would...but now they are denied that choice. The unemployment rate alone can be misleading.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat. View Post
    Price of Gold is flat and unaffected by Yellen's 'inspiring' comments and a spike in the US Equity markets. Interesting. A new bottom at 1290USD?
    Gold $1285. Not a pretty sight.
    Last edited by Skol; 21-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.

More money is made betting against the odds, Moose, than swimming with the tide. Any disappointment from the US economic data (as yes, it's happened before) will be bullish for Gold.

Effectively, investing in Gold at the moment is a call against the American ego...which seems to know no bounds to its own inflation.
    Last edited by Bobcat.; 22-04-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Gold $1285. Not a pretty sight.
    It's still holding around 1290...and having slid away about 9% this past month, it's due for a climb. Tonight?

Banned

I'd say the US stockmarket has a way to run yet. I've got a copy of the latest Barron's here, one of America's best stockpickers says it'll run until about 2019, gold will be left in the dust if he's right.

Veteran novice

A big word, that "if"!

I suppose somebody would pay for a five year prediction on the stockmarket - no doubt there were some who thought along those lines in 1929, 1987 .....

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    I'd say the US stockmarket has a way to run yet. I've got a copy of the latest Barron's here, one of America's best stockpickers says it'll run until about 2019, gold will be left in the dust if he's right.
    11 years without a major correction? Do you have a precedent for this, Skol?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat. View Post
    11 years without a major correction? Do you have a precedent for this, Skol?
    I didn't make the prediction, but I believe it, always have believed that a bust would be followed by a boom. There'll be corrections along the way, nothing goes up in a straight line the same as gold isn't going down in a straight line.

The prediction was made by James Hansberger who manages $1.9b for Morgan Stanley.

It says:

In the fall of 2008, amid talk of the "lost decade" in stocks, he assured clients that 2009 would begin 10 years of strong equity performance. Hansberger has been right through the first half of that decade, and he remains confident that his call will hold up 5 years from now.

I would rather stick more money in NCM than Gold for now and hopefully they would merged or get bought out. Right now Barrick and Newmont are in talks to merge forming biggest Gold Co. It will overtake Goldcorp but so far both Barrick and NEM are still doing the dance.