sharetrader
Page 846 of 871 FirstFirst ... 346746796836842843844845846847848849850856 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,460 of 8703

Thread: Gold

I'm planning on that next year. The debate of stock v crypto is tiring to be fair CC. I'm reading these threads to learn about good companies with good resources and good management.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotea View Post
    I'm planning on that next year. The debate of stock v crypto is tiring to be fair CC. I'm reading these threads to learn about good companies with good resources and good management.
    Why are you on the gold thread then?

Quote Originally Posted by Crypto Crude View Post
    Iol I am cracking crypto this year... I only have 3 holdings left now plus 20kish in loose change...
    My plays are
    Pancakeswap
    Pulsechain
    And babycake

I have been furiously staking cake to the ceiling for the last 3 months...
    This is the gold thread, go talk about your ****coins somewhere else.

Someone brings up the topic I feel entitled to reply...
    If you go back through the thread this is merely what I have done !..
    You mad...
    Your missing out on opportunity of a lifetime here...

Permanent Newbie

Just checking with those with clearer heads. Holding gold and gold miners due to central bank money printing and suppressed interest rates. A reluctance from central banks to change course but US Fed slowing their money printing and pressure on interest rates to rise as inflation takes off. Rising interest rates not good for gold as it has no yield.

TeslaGod adamant interest rates will go negative at the first signs of trouble, but they have been kicking the can down the road for a long time.

Is gold still a good investment?

P.s. enjoyed a few up days so piqued my interest.

Permanent Newbie

Has gold lost its lustre with investors on this site or are other people working when they are supposed to.

I guess even if interest rates are rising, inflation may be rising faster so real rates are still negative.

appears to have rejected $US1700 now and testing the upside
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

AUD Gold cranking higher last seven days we have seen it move from 2380 to 2550 !!! $170oz ..for Gold thats light-speed
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Just checking with those with clearer heads. Holding gold and gold miners due to central bank money printing and suppressed interest rates. A reluctance from central banks to change course but US Fed slowing their money printing and pressure on interest rates to rise as inflation takes off. Rising interest rates not good for gold as it has no yield.

TeslaGod adamant interest rates will go negative at the first signs of trouble, but they have been kicking the can down the road for a long time.

Is gold still a good investment?

P.s. enjoyed a few up days so piqued my interest.
    This is a depends question I suppose...

Do you hold for insurance? Then yes all good all of the time

Do you hold for speculation? Then you need to be a trader and watch movements, which can be stressful

Do you hold for "investment"? Then we need to look at the fundamental reason you invested in the first place. Pays to have this written down as I tend to forget.

I think that there are so many good reasons to invest in all things gold and every time folks tell us that "it's a pet rock" or "gold is dead", they get proven wrong fairly quickly, so I tend to write those arguments off. One reason will be the forever tailwind...debt and inflation, which is what all governments seem to be addicted to.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    This is a depends question I suppose...

Do you hold for insurance? Then yes all good all of the time

Do you hold for speculation? Then you need to be a trader and watch movements, which can be stressful

Do you hold for "investment"? Then we need to look at the fundamental reason you invested in the first place. Pays to have this written down as I tend to forget.

I think that there are so many good reasons to invest in all things gold and every time folks tell us that "it's a pet rock" or "gold is dead", they get proven wrong fairly quickly, so I tend to write those arguments off. One reason will be the forever tailwind...debt and inflation, which is what all governments seem to be addicted to.
    Thanks for the replies. Another up day today, gotta stop looking.

I guess based on the amount of research I do you would have to say speculation, as not that much thought gone into it.
    I speculate by buying gold producers who pay a dividend, the dividends have been increasing, but if they don't find more gold or buy someone elses discovery the business is limited. A bit like a property developer, reinvesting everything until the market turns and gets wiped out.
    I don't panic about fluctuations so much as gold is considered an insurance in times of turbulence.
    Fundamental reason for investing is that I think central bankers are either bat **** crazy, gutless cowards or possibly evil minions of the wealthy. They will use their control of interest rates and money supply to keep pushing up asset prices even if they destroy the currency. As the inflation tax is a regressive one it is probably the preferred option by the people in charge.
    Gold cannot be so easily destroyed and while central banks hold gold in their vaults it must still be considered an option in a worst case scenario. The banks can create their own crypto and outlaw others they don't like.

The talk lately is of less money printing and higher interest rates, so it is a matter of seeing what happens if interest rates do rise significantly and asset prices fall. Will interest rates go negative to save the owners of the wealth once more? Negative rates totally nonsensical but what do I know.

I could also be easily convinced that gold is a worthless rock that provides no yield.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-11-2021 at 09:15 AM.