sharetrader
Page 9 of 872 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold

As much as I have little time for all the conspiracy theorists gold seems to attract, I do think the gold price will remain firm for some time to come. I also don't see the demise of the USD anytime soon either.

Probaby more of the same, give or take, so, I'm happy to be holding 2 goldies, each with good growth prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Chung View Post
    I'm happy to be holding 2 goldies, each with good growth prospects.
    Hi HC. Investing in companies who are digging it up seems sound enough but Im not so sure about bars under the bed

Banned

There was a Gold Buyers stall outside the supermarket today, another sign a mania is setting in.
    How far will it go? Who knows, but the POO went up 8 times in 8 years before it crashed. Depends on how big the mania becomes and what kind it is.
    As a scholar of such phenomena I find them endlessly fascinating and have quite a number of books on the subject.
    The final confirmation will come when there are gold conferences, media clips and newpaper articles exhorting the masses to buy gold.
    Problem is the masses are unable to recognise a bubble and are mesmerised by the profits until they're staring down the barrel, like the '87 crash.

Will it end with a whimper or a crash?
    When it comes how much fraud will be exposed and how many banks, mutual funds and high net worth individuals will tremble as it makes its final gut wrenching lurch southwards?
    Will there be enough gold to go around as the punters cash in their ETF's?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Reckon not Skol. I try and avoid buying things that are worthless even if their price is going up. I will leave Forex to others. Ive had a crack at it on paper only and didnt do all that well
    I'm not into forex either but I have exposure to $US through a few mutual funds. Next time I'm in Europe I might investigate betting against gold at the local betting shop. William Hill, Ladbrokes etc have any number of financial products you can bet on and it's either win or lose, a bit like options, but you don't need an account.
    Last edited by Skol; 11-04-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    There was a Gold Buyers stall outside the supermarket today, another sign a mania is setting in.
    How far will it go? Who knows, but the POO went up 8 times in 8 years before it crashed. Depends on how big the mania becomes and what kind it is.
    As a scholar of such phenomena I find them endlessly fascinating and have quite a number of books on the subject.
    The final confirmation will come when there are gold conferences, media clips and newpaper articles exhorting the masses to buy gold.
    Problem is the masses are unable to recognise a bubble and are mesmerised by the profits until they're staring down the barrel, like the '87 crash.

When it comes how much fraud will be exposed and how many banks, mutual funds and high net worth individuals will tremble as it makes its final gut wrenching lurch southwards?
    I noticed a "we want to buy your gold" stall in the North City Plaza (Porirua, Wellington)

Has anyone actually sold any gold to these stalls, if so, what kind of price are they offering?

I'd imagine these stalls are strategically placed to cash in on those unaware of the gold price.

Porirua is a low socio-economic area with a largely maori & pacfic island population, surrounded by dodgey finance companies

To my mind the easy money has been made on Gold

I was told by a cobber at the Oceana Macraes mine a while ago, that the Newmont CE spoke to Oceana staff..he tipped gold was going to creep up to AUD$2,000 an oz....one opinion I know, but I have several gold stocks and my own gold claim with plenty in it, so those words are music to my ears. God knows why gold is worth what it is...

Oil crashed then it went back to a fair market value a mere blip..
    Gold may well crash as go down sub $1000 but like Oil it's market value will return as like silver,platinum etc It has an will aways hold value unlike paper promises(for tender)

Do any study into the history of fiat currencies shows time n time again it's value doesn't return once the printing presses go full tilt to help prop up their fail economic systems
    Last edited by JBmurc; 11-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Better make sure you've got exposure to $US all right. It won't be long before lines start heading in the opposite direction.
    Have you got an updated chart? I'm pretty sure the USD index has taken a rise since then hasnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I noticed a "we want to buy your gold" stall in the North City Plaza (Porirua, Wellington)

Has anyone actually sold any gold to these stalls, if so, what kind of price are they offering?

I'd imagine these stalls are strategically placed to cash in on those unaware of the gold price.

Porirua is a low socio-economic area with a largely maori & pacfic island population, surrounded by dodgey finance companies

To my mind the easy money has been made on Gold
    Yeah, I've seen them about in Riccarton mall for a while too. They take anything...rings, necklaces etc. Almost encourages theft huh?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Oil crashed then it went back to a fair market value a mere blip..
    If gold crashed as much as oil it would plunge to US$255.

Looks about right, that's where it started.
    Last edited by Skol; 11-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.