sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corporate

Default Fully franked Aus dividends >> NZ Resident

Being a New Zealand resident - when I receive dividends that are fully franked from listed australian companies, do I loose the benefit of the tax credit or is their a new zealand mechanism that eliminates the double tax?

Thanks
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Corporate View Post
    Being a New Zealand resident - when I receive dividends that are fully franked from listed australian companies, do I loose the benefit of the tax credit or is their a new zealand mechanism that eliminates the double tax?

Thanks
    C
    Yes, you lose the franking credits

Resident/Non Resident withholding tax is claimable though.

I thought the National party were going to look into the issue of imputation/franking credits with there Australian counterparts.

Would make sense, the companies pay the tax, why cant shareholders receive the benefit.

It's a loophole that should be addressed.
    Last edited by shasta; 21-02-2010 at 09:22 PM.

This has been a part of trans-Tasman talks for more than a decade. I think Michael Cullen had reached a tax set-off agreement a few years ago but it never got to the details stage.

Loony situation in my opinion but then - what's in it for the Aussies? Not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Loony situation in my opinion but then - what's in it for the Aussies? Not much.
    Just what I was going to say.

Thre is far more benefit to NZers than Aussies.
    I think John Key has said it is on the agenda again but.......

If you wanted to be bad, you could just claim the franking credits in your tax return and hope that the IRD doesn't select you for an audit...
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    This has been a part of trans-Tasman talks for more than a decade. I think Michael Cullen had reached a tax set-off agreement a few years ago but it never got to the details stage.

ll

The Aussies could not care less about Kiwi investors .The way they look at is why give a Kiwi a break,no votes in it for them and only giving away money to a Kiwi which is against Aussie nature.Makes net yeild on Aussie shares terrible.
    Any way trying to get round it opens you up to big penalties.
    Last edited by percy; 27-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    If you wanted to be bad, you could just claim the franking credits in your tax return and hope that the IRD doesn't select you for an audit...
    Whats the difference between doing that and making up fictitious trades and hoping the IRD doesn't select you...or robbing a bank and hoping the police don't select you.

On a more serious note, I thought that the politicians were too stupid to have released this situation (since it so obviously inequitable I thought it would be an easy decision, in line with ever increasing closer economic relations). The idea that they are aware of it and do nothing just further lowers my respect for these turkeys

I am also an NZ resident looking to trade on the ASX and this is something I have struggled with. How big a problem is it in reality, are AUS companies more likely to pay dividends fully franked, partially franked or unfranked?

Would an option to re-invest the dividend get aroung the problem? Another idea I had would be selling the shares before they go ex-dividend and then buying them back, not sure of the efficacy of doing this.

Root do the same as investors have done for years pay NZ tax on the net dividend
    Possum The Cat

Fully franked Aussie dividends use the Franking credits to extinguish the NRWT tax laibility.

If they were only partly franked you would also have a liability to pay Aussie NRWT to a degree. Once in NZ you have to pay NZ tax on the cash received, as under the DTA a credit is only given for NRWT deductd. In most cases of course this is nil.

The NZ situatiobn for non resident holders is much cleverer and different from Aussie. Here as i understand it the ICs are turned into supplementary dividends, the cash plus supplementary dividends subject to full NZ NRWT which Aussie investors can then claim under their side of the DTA.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm