sharetrader
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copper

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Yep...I'm cynical of the Media..It one of my biases in my life.....

The media makes news of this happening now and is suggesting the "now" reasons using all sorts of accurate economic knowledge....yet it has been happening for months......and.....it is a cyclic thing and although not 100% occurrence it often happens at a similar time within each cycle (mid life Equity Bull Cycle)...History tell you so..so history is a good teacher not the media ..

My homework says these factors may all contribute but its the same game that plays out often (not always) with past mid life Equity Bull Cycles**.. History says the game doesn't change, only its players.

** (opinion only)..Hoop thinks this game was delayed and has started late in the day (cycle)...

A chart to clarify yet to be posted

Commodities Corner
    March 22, 2013, 10:20 a.m. EDT
    Here’s why copper has lost its indicator role

By Myra P. Saefong, MarketWatch
    Dr. Copper is usually a good indicator for economic trends and markets.
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — Dr. Copper, as the industrial metal is known to investors, might be offering Wall Street the wrong economic prognosis, or maybe we’re just misreading it.
    After all, a physician’s handwriting is tough to read, and so is that of copper, whose “doctor” title refers to it as an indicator for economic trends and equity markets.
    “Correlations have certainly broken down between equities and copper prices,” said Brinker Capital senior portfolio manager Andrew Rosenberger.
    Click to Play
    Why copper is less of an indicator

Copper is usually a good indicator for economic trends and equity markets. MarketWatch's Jim Jelter explains why that has changed.

“Market participants used to look towards copper as an indicator of equity returns,” he said. “That may be true in a capital-expenditure driven economy like we had in 2005-2008, but this recovery, to date, has been devoid of meaningful capex.”
    Data on the metal’s prices and U.S. equities show a directional divergence, with stocks doing well while copper isn’t, and with the economy showing modest growth.
    Copper futures prices (CNS:HGK3) dropped more than 6% year-to-date as of Thursday. They gained 6.3% for 2012, but that was after a nearly 23% drop in 2011.
    Meanwhile, U.S. equities have rallied, with the benchmark Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIJIA) up over 10% so far this year, after gains of 7.3% last year and 5.5% in 2011.
    For all of 2012, the U.S. economy increased at a 2.2% pace, compared with 1.8% in 2011.
    The Federal Reserve this week said it expects the economy to grow at a moderate pace, and economists project growth in the first quarter to rise to 2.5% after barely growing in the fourth quarter.
    But if you look closely, you might see a good reason why copper’s not an accurate indicator of economic conditions and equity markets right now.
    U.S. Bank Wealth Management senior investment strategist Robert Haworth said copper is reflecting its underlying supply and demand fundamentals.
    “Its economic signal is slightly muted by excess supply currently,” he said. “We believe global economic growth should accelerate over the course of this year, taking up excess supplies and returning copper to its status as a signal of economic activity.”
    Copper’s fall

Copper’s performance has been disappointing in light of some of the latest economic indicators, which point to improvements in the U.S. and Chinese manufacturing sectors.

Reuters Enlarge Image
    A dockworker arranges a shipment of copper.
    “There is overall optimism about the American economy steadily recovering, unless of course the costs of sequestration have a greater-than-expected impact,” said Ted Arnold, an independent, London-based consulting-minerals economist.
    And although “no one doubts for a minute that China will not grow this year,” there are an “awful lot of bulls out there expecting much more from Chinese growth than now looks likely,” he said.
    Business conditions for Chinese manufacturers saw further improvement in March, according to HSBC data Thursday. The U.S. flash manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) also rose in March.
    Data Thursday also showed that the German manufacturing sector unexpectedly contracted in March, and the preliminary composite PMI for the euro zone dropped to a four-month low.
    Overall, “copper has been a flop as of late, as the growth prospects have been dimmed,” mostly owing to the Chinese government moving to reign in its overheated housing market, said Price Futures Group senior market analyst Phil Flynn.
    “Sharply rising Chinese home prices are raising expectations of more government clamp-downs on the sector, thereby reducing the Chinese demand for copper,” he said.
    And true to China’s usual veil of secrecy, the International Copper Study Group said that based on preliminary data, anecdotal evidence suggests unreported inventories held in bonded warehouses in China increased significantly during 2012, and Chinese industrial use of copper might have been significantly less than apparent use.
    “Accounting for this inventory increase would significantly alter the calculated market balance,” the ICSG said. In other words, there could be a large surplus of Chinese copper supplies the market doesn’t know about.
    “There is too much copper and too little demand since the China facade of rampant growth is being revealed for the farce that it is,” said Jeffrey Sica, president and chief investment officer of Sica Wealth Management.
    Much of the commercial real-estate in China sits vacant as “proof that China cares more about the appearances of growth than actual growth.”
    Prognosticator

Beyond that, copper still has the hints of being the great prognosticator many expect it to be — it’s just not as easy to read its forecast.
    “Some market participants consider copper as a good predictor of the economy,” said Price Asset Management managing director of institutional sales Alan Konn.
    However, “how far in advance does it really predict?” he said. “There are constantly major swings in prices that provide little guidance on the economy a year or two out.”
    In the near term, “it is a combination of short-term demand and supply, inventory levels and sentiment that drive the price,” said Konn, whose firm specializes in commodities for institutional and high-net-worth investors. “It is the industrialization throughout the world that generates long-term demand.”
    That said, the good news is that China’s economy is still growing, albeit at a slower pace than in the past, and that’s been the driving force for commodities in general.
    China is “still in demand mode,” and the U.S. is starting to see improved economic numbers, said Kevin Kerr, president and chief executive offer at Kerr Trading International.
    “It’s certainly not a barn-burner economy, but it’s at least starting to stem the bleeding,” he said. “If that trend continues, then demand for copper should pick up as copper prices seemed to have found a foothold here at these levels.”
    On Thursday, May copper settled at $3.45 a pound on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, down 2.5% for the week to date.
    Right now, the metal is acting more like an investment than a commodity — “an investment in the future global recovery and demand,” Kerr said.

Copyright © 2013 MarketWatch, Inc. All rights reserved.
    By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy - UPDATED 10/18/2011
    Thank you all for the informative discussions here.“Why copper is less of an indicator

"Copper is usually a good indicator for economic trends and equity markets. MarketWatch's Jim Jelter explains why that has changed.”

Regarding above. It is very inversing. It looks like things are changing now. Though I followed copper market those days to get some market indications surprisingly later I stopped following it.

Guru

Disagree somewhat MarketWinner...
    MarketWatch has become rather infected with tunnel vision.. its view that USA is dominant and the rest of the world follows is not always true....also they have mentioned only bits of market physics and seemed to have gone away from the basic Market systems theory and formed a new but false logical view to justify the markets actions.. (probably all due to QE manipulating which has warped the Equity Market).

Remember way back I mentioned that... The Copper market is widely published by the Media to be closely correlated with Equity market...this is not strictly true..the last stage of the equity market often sees but not always the two diverge for a few months (low interest rates bottoming out + China could be the recurring factor with each cycle).

Dr Copper not an economic indicator now???...

I think it still is.....The media sees a buoyant Equity Market and refers this to where the Copper market is as a comparison ..but unfortunately its the Equity market market that is warped at the moment caused by abnormal low interest rates regulating the system via QE, but the USA analysts view it differently and assume Dr Copper is warped.

It's hard to explain in a short post that needs 200+ pages to explain but...
    View this Video from FT.com
    as well as referring my charts above and this QE readjusted S&P500 chart below that Winner69 posted

This sheds a light on Dr Copper and makes it less confusing now..eh?
    Last edited by Hoop; 10-01-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Thank you for your detailed analysis. I really appreciate.

Veteran novice

2014 a Defining Year for Copper?

http://www.fnarena.com/index2.cfm?ty...E51F9BF24E0F48

What d'you reckon Hoop?

Cheers

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    2014 a Defining Year for Copper?

http://www.fnarena.com/index2.cfm?ty...E51F9BF24E0F48

What d'you reckon Hoop?

Cheers
    Dunno Macduffy...But I'm eying up the ozzy copper miners and in waiting mode with them At this moment in time
    Its been a month since I posted my chart #22.. it seems copper still wants to flirt and test the chart's resistances ..temporarily broke out then declined back into that rectangular pattern ...That sort of action tends to try the chartists patience somewhat

...so as your posted article says it is still a waiting game...

I sometime wonder if using the US$ on the chart is telling the whole story here...QE has had a major regulating effect and so creates uncertainty within markets which normally act as free market...
    As China takes 40% of the world's copper, I thought I would change currencies using Y/lb instead of US$/lb in an attempt to neutralise some of the USA QE effects.

The infomine chart below tells a similar story of resistance touching and failing at the Y20 and copper is once again having another assault at that Y20 support..This Yuan chart looks ugly though..There was a triple top (2006-2008) and now its looks like a bearish complex Head and shoulders pattern (2010=2013) could be forming with that dreaded neck break possibility occurring in May 2013...
    Again it shows a wait and see game...

I personally would analyse any questionable breakout on the US$/lb chart ...I would back it up using the Y/lb chart as confirmation.

On a more FA approach..The LME stock levels is rapidly falling suggesting economic upturn and/or a drop off in mining production...This chart below may not entirely be a true story if what the media say about China hoarding unrefined copper is correct ....so again we have to wait and see.

Also MarketWinner question ..Is Copper still an indication of economic growth? This question has merit as with the world entering into an economic growth phase together with another Industrial Revolution (technical and bio-technical)... new materials (some yet to be invented) may replace copper...such as fibre replacing copper lines and smart glass within smart phones and TV's (OLED displays).

Last edited by Hoop; 25-01-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: changed Y20 resistance to Y20 support

Guru

Default Copper Technically Broken

Hmmmm...not nice.....Warehouse stocks historically low too..other stored forms of copper must be in play..