Quote Originally Posted by COLIN View Post
Enumerate: Thank you for your various detailed posts and your erudite analysis of the current position with NZF - a much superior assessment to what I have seen produced by our rather abysmal financial press, if I might say so. The recently-announced results are worthy of detailed study, and distinguish NZF from a large swathe of their lesser-endowed peers. I even bought a few more of the NZF010's, back in April.

One query I would have, in regard to what might happen on maturity of the notes, relates to the manner of arriving at the "market price of the NZF's" if they choose to convert to shares, given that these shares are only traded very spasmodically? I suppose I could find out the answer, if I rooted around long enough, but I thought you might have it at your finger tips. (I tend to agree, though, that they might seek to roll over, and/or refinance elsewhere, rather than dilute the current ownership).

LATER: I have now done the legwork, relative to my query, and consulted the Trust Deed. It states that the conversion price is to be 95% of the weighted average share price over the previous 20 business days. If there have been no transactions on the NZX over this period then the "last sale price prior to that period" is the operative price. It seems to me that this formula leaves the conversion price wide open to manipulation, where we have such an extremely thinly-traded share.
The shares in NZF are tightly held which creates its own problems, an increase in shareholders could be a good thing! A merger or takeover of a like company could also be a good thing!

NZF are going to roll out a comprehensive range of insurance products shortly of which they are the underwriter of premiums, this could go well for them given that they have built in distribution through Mike Pero brokers/insurance writers and the brokers/insurance writers who agregate through NZF. The other advantage they have is that a lot of general insurance writers are either retiring or not wishing to go through the new education process, this should widen the market for NZF.