sharetrader
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Enumerate, each NZF residential loan is insured by Tower, if a specific loan went into default and the property was sold in mortgagee auction say, any shortfall would be covered by Tower and paid to NZF, Tower would then look to the borrower to recover that cost. This is an added bonus to RMBS institutional investors (the RMBS issue is not available to the public).

In my view, NZF have turned the corner, thanks to very cautious directors and board members with many years of experience (the two executive directors drive a commadore and a subaru, they are not flash Harry's!), expect some ramping up with new equity and jv activities!

Invessi, thanks for the information.

I note the Herald coverage, this morning ... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/financial-...ectid=10648785

Talk about putting a bad spin on things ... frankly I would be happy if they wrote off all goodwill ... it has no cash consequence and would improve the tax situation. The Herald also fixates on Huljich, when there are much more significant lines of revenue. It is like business journalism being written by gossip columnists. I must admit, the only thing I read, regularly, in the Herald is the Gaynor column (wife reads the MacNamara art column).

Herald coverage notwithstanding - I too believe that NZF will power ahead. I have some shares but see the most value in the Capital Notes NZF010 ...
    Do not consider my postings as investment advice. I am here to share research and to speculate on what might be. The boundary between fact and conjecture might not always be clear - best to treat all comments as speculation.

Enumerate, why do you prefer the Capitol Notes, is it because they may convert to shares at maturity?

For existing NZF shareholders, particularly those that got in early or have been bottom feeding over the past year or so, I think there could be some nice surprises, NZF is starting to look attractive to other corporate players who want to take advantage of the lack of competition due to lack of lenders, John Callaghan has already eluded to jv possibilities in the RMBS arena. Recapitalisation of the finance company would be a plus because they have done very well with that division in the past however, the on balance sheet residential loan book is where the big money could be. You may not have picked it up from previous NZF news releases but they are also a long way down the track to developing the same transactional software that Kiwibank use. From what I have observed, NZF have a very experienced and loyal team with very few changes in personnel over the years, particularly the senior lenders, investment management and accountants.

I agree, the press have never had a balance when it comes to reporting on NZF, they look for any negatives and highlight them without saying much about what is good about the company.

This was posted by Bob Day on his web site today .............."NZF (like a number of others involved with property, they don't believe those nasty bottom lines should get quite as much attention paid to them as some, like me, pay, but they're also hoping those bottom lines will become worthy of reporting very soon) "

Quote Originally Posted by Enumerate View Post

... frankly I would be happy if they wrote off all goodwill ... it has no cash consequence and would improve the tax situation.
    Generally such things are not tax deductable

has no cash consequence but affects the equity figure which can sometimes affect key ratios

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

has no cash consequence but affects the equity figure which can sometimes affect key ratios
    Yeah - my experience has been that goodwill amortisation is non-deductible. There may be exceptions I guess?

Alan.

Advanced Member

Enumerate: Thank you for your various detailed posts and your erudite analysis of the current position with NZF - a much superior assessment to what I have seen produced by our rather abysmal financial press, if I might say so. The recently-announced results are worthy of detailed study, and distinguish NZF from a large swathe of their lesser-endowed peers. I even bought a few more of the NZF010's, back in April.

One query I would have, in regard to what might happen on maturity of the notes, relates to the manner of arriving at the "market price of the NZF's" if they choose to convert to shares, given that these shares are only traded very spasmodically? I suppose I could find out the answer, if I rooted around long enough, but I thought you might have it at your finger tips. (I tend to agree, though, that they might seek to roll over, and/or refinance elsewhere, rather than dilute the current ownership).

LATER: I have now done the legwork, relative to my query, and consulted the Trust Deed. It states that the conversion price is to be 95% of the weighted average share price over the previous 20 business days. If there have been no transactions on the NZX over this period then the "last sale price prior to that period" is the operative price. It seems to me that this formula leaves the conversion price wide open to manipulation, where we have such an extremely thinly-traded share.
    Last edited by COLIN; 01-06-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Added postscript

Quote Originally Posted by invessi
    Enumerate, why do you prefer the Capitol Notes, is it because they may convert to shares at maturity?
    I do not believe that it is inevitable that the Capital Notes will be converted to shares. I do not think there is the necessity to massively dilute existing holders. The company is meeting the interest payments ... and is showing an operational profit. It is out of the retail deposit government guarantee scheme - which is a good thing in my view - and will maintain it's margin on lending with source funding from it's bank partners.
    Do not consider my postings as investment advice. I am here to share research and to speculate on what might be. The boundary between fact and conjecture might not always be clear - best to treat all comments as speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN
    One query I would have, in regard to what might happen on maturity of the notes, relates to the manner of arriving at the "market price of the NZF's" if they choose to convert to shares, given that these shares are only traded very spasmodically?
    It is a classic discounted VWAP calculation: 95% of the weighted average of the shares traded 20 business days before the test date.

Oops, you have done the research ...

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN
    LATER: I have now done the legwork, relative to my query, and consulted the Trust Deed. It states that the conversion price is to be 95% of the weighted average share price over the previous 20 business days. If there have been no transactions on the NZX over this period then the "last sale price prior to that period" is the operative price. It seems to me that this formula leaves the conversion price wide open to manipulation, where we have such an extremely thinly-traded share.
    Another reason to have a little stockpile of shares bought cheaply ...

Quote Originally Posted by winner69
    I think there is a difference between the new IFRS requirements to report values based on fair value (for example, goodwill) and not to allow internally generated goodwill to be recognised. Since this is goodwill associated with a part owned investment asset (MPM) and not an internal, wholly owned, element - I'd say that there is the possibility of the write down having tax implications (for the positive, in the case of a write down).

Further, given this occurs at an annual review of asset values - I think this may be the correct interpretation. All will be revealed when we see the full accounts.

I think that under the old NZ GAAP - it was possible to slowly amortise this goodwill. I do agree with the point that concern about equity levels and triggering banking covenants, etc. may be something to carefully investigate.