sharetrader
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

HY results are out.

https://www.abano.co.nz/news/2018/12...-hy19-results/

Revenue slightly up (as per analyst consensus), earnings flat-lining though (looking worse than analyst consensus if the first HY is representative for the FY). it appears that all these ugly costs like consumables, employee benefits and similar are growing faster than revenue.

Could be a one - off due to timing the account, but could as well turn into a bad habit.

On the other hand - they discovered that the "underlying profit" grew nicely compared to last years underlying profit. Must be all nice and fluffy, than ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Don't know whether good or bad BP

Need to update my numbers but first impression is that its not good. Since May 17 (3 quarters) total capital employed has increased about $75m (increases in both debt and equity) but EBIT not moving up much. Seem to be spending heaps acquiring things but not making much more money.

Will look at the detail one day soon

Lot of moving things around in the accounts eh -- continuing, discontinued, underlying etc etc
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Updated my magic spreadsheet on Abano.

Equity and debt increasing (invested capital) as time goes on and revenues growing but EBIT margins and return on invested capital both trending down....not good. Buying business for little extra returns.

Not ‘normalised’ or ‘underlying’ but just as reported but left out gains on asset sales

Would want to see improved financials before I would get really interested. Current p/b of ~1 not deserved on fundamentals and even the perceived low PE and good yield is not seductive enough for me.

That’s how I see it anyway

Key ratios below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by winner69; 23-12-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Truly amazing ABA share price was about 10 bucks this time last year ...but not surprising on financial performance it’s about the same as it was 5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Truly amazing ABA share price was about 10 bucks this time last year ...but not surprising on financial performance it’s about the same as it was 5 years ago
    Didn't they defend in 2016/2017 with teeth and claws against a takeover bid for over $10 per share? Looks like the board has some explaining to do what happened with shareholder value, but than - I am probably just not bright enough to understand their deep value game ;

Must be amazing now.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Vision over Visibility

Part of the answer is.. How long is a reasonable period to integrate new sites, integrate systems, people and culture and start to realise gains..?? 6months, 12? 18? 24?. Similar story for Z with Caltex sites, EVO etc. How long before SKC assets such as ICC really bears fruit etc... They are shifting from acquire to integrate so as a sharehder/owner I'm OK with 24 months personally for scale to materialise...yes, It is a heavy expertise and people intensive play..so acquisition approach is not without risk and reward... Have to balance against opportunity, market size, brand etc. Current Yield and DRP 3% reduced SP enough to entice buy n hold for 2 years from me.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Part of the answer is.. How long is a reasonable period to integrate new sites, integrate systems, people and culture and start to realise gains..?? 6months, 12? 18? 24?. Similar story for Z with Caltex sites, EVO etc. How long before SKC assets such as ICC really bears fruit etc... They are shifting from acquire to integrate so as a sharehder/owner I'm OK with 24 months personally for scale to materialise...yes, It is a heavy expertise and people intensive play..so acquisition approach is not without risk and reward... Have to balance against opportunity, market size, brand etc. Current Yield and DRP 3% reduced SP enough to entice buy n hold for 2 years from me.
    Fair enough Hamish

It’s just that many of companies that undertake these market consolidation strategy by acquiring lots of small participants often don’t end up as a good story, especially when they stop acquiring.

Pity you mentioned EVO ...case in point.

My worst performer of the year is now trading at PER12.5 - 5xEBITDA - 7.5% gross yield

Acquisitions have not contributed to the full trading period, FY19 EBITDA around 36-38M

Not looking too bad, company will continue well in an attractive industry.

Not much to worry about ( apart from a bitta debt )

Vision over Visibility

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Fair enough Hamish

It’s just that many of companies that undertake these market consolidation strategy by acquiring lots of small participants often don’t end up as a good story, especially when they stop acquiring.

Pity you mentioned EVO ...case in point.

Hmm yeah, typed EVO and thought to myself.. brave to note. Yet, it's highlights the risk / reward so is valid counter-side to consider..

Does anyone have a view on this company? I see that the price ended last week at $5.95 per share, and has a dividend yield of over 6% (according to directbroking).