sharetrader
Page 84 of 153 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Back down to $91 today, so would have been a good sell at $94 yesterday.

the bounce didn't last long - did it ?

mind you - many NZX listings have been retreating lately ..

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    the bounce didn't last long - did it ?

mind you - many NZX listings have been retreating lately ..
    I'm thinking the easy days, post GFC, of just buying and holding good companies/property, are coming to an end. The cycle is turning. It makes sense to me to shift strategy somewhat to taking profits when the market hands them to you and make the most of the volatility.

Dilettante

I'm thinking the easy days, post GFC, of just buying and holding good companies/property, are coming to an end. The cycle is turning. It makes sense to me to shift strategy somewhat to taking profits when the market hands them to you and make the most of the volatility.
    Agree the "easy days" over the last few years are coming to an end but good companies with a proven track record, such as MFT, will definitely be a good chunk of my portfolio going forward. I am not into trading so obviously different to your strategy. We all have different strategies, different goals and different stages of life, so each to their own :-)
    MFT fits my goals nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Agree the "easy days" over the last few years are coming to an end but good companies with a proven track record, such as MFT, will definitely be a good chunk of my portfolio going forward. I am not into trading so obviously different to your strategy. We all have different strategies, different goals and different stages of life, so each to their own :-)
    Yes, I also mainly am a long term holder and I think MFT have a great future. I've put my long term holds (almost everything) into a separate trust account and am now using my personal account as a trading account, something I haven't done before.

A.....We all have different strategies, different goals and different stages of life, so each to their own :-)

That's also very true. I've just "retired" so I have a bit more time to focus on the sharemarket and I am finding that I actually quite enjoy trading and applying a bit of technical analysis .

Advanced Member

I couldnt be a happier with this as a long term hold. I love the management team, I love how the business is just going for it growing its network, and how diversified it is. Even if some future returns have been pulled forward. Just read some of the first comments from 2004 on this thread in terms of where it was and how far it has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    ...... Just read some of the first comments from 2004 on this thread .......

Yeah mon, I just wonder whatever happened to Bob Marley.... must have lost interest in NZX.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Here is what I see when I look at MFT. I have marked nothing at all on the chart so as not to influence anyone. What do you think?

[u]Short-term </u>:- In a downtrend, after a Double Top (Bearish) SELL.

[u]Medium-term </u>:- Just ending an uptrend. SELL.

[u]Long-term </u>:- At the upper margin of a large and ongoing Trading Range. SELL.

What we have here is a superb medium-term trading stock. Fullstop!

Here is the legendary Phaedrus's take on MFT back in 2004. He might have been better to buy and hold on to a few!!

Advanced Member

Here is the legendary Phaedrus's take on MFT back in 2004. He might have been better to buy and hold on to a few!!
    Nothing like looking at long term growth to make you put down the charts

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    Nothing like looking at long term growth to make you put down the charts
    For sure there is no replacement for long term growth. But trading the highs and lows along the way is a good complementary strategy IMO.