sharetrader
Page 108 of 153 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1524

Quote Originally Posted by Jonette View Post
    I am aware of that, but the stats are a simple comparison although with higher growth. Ie the trends are your friend.

I am picking up port traffic because I especially chose routes that would show it. You can pick out quarters where say the Auckland strike had an impact, but real changes are not that obvious in aggregate. BTW, I developed this as a GDP predictor which comes available months earlier than the RBNZ quarterly results - June will be published on 15th Sept, by which time I will have August data.

Hey thanks for the feedback, the more the better, this stuff gets hard without a critic.
    Certainly interesting - cheers.

Just one more probing question ...

If we look at the current state of our highway system e.g. in the upper part of the South Island, where many trucks have to drive currently a 8 hours detour (instead of the normal 2 hours drive) across the better part of the South Island to get from Picton to Nelson - would this show in your stats as an improvement of our economy? I guess its much more km driven, though not more goods moved, just on a longer route?

I guess this would mean more road closures, slips and floodings would show up as being good for the economy, doesn't it?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

I don't expect so. Take a look at the map and you can see the sites I use, the locations are accurately shown, just zoom in. One most likely covers the Nelson route but the data just counts the trucks going each way at a specific location, not the route they take.

Comments on better sites would be much appreciated, but note that I am limited to Waka Kotahi sites that report regularly. I use my own interpretations of good sites, I have driven all of NZ many times so am familiar with many routes, but some local knowledge could create improvements - esp the upper south and BoP areas where a lot of changes have occurred recently

Similar trend in the US where shipping get diverted from West to East, hoping to prevent a repeat of last year's mayhem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ipmAvf2cE

They were truly amazing numbers Mainfreight put up around how things were going this financial year

Share price today not much higher than it was the day of that announcement .... and it's even lower than what it was when they announced the F22 result in May

And you can't say its outrageously over priced either ----PE under 20

A few months before we hear much more from them .... and share price will probably just hang around current levels
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    They were truly amazing numbers Mainfreight put up around how things were going this financial year

Share price today not much higher than it was the day of that announcement .... and it's even lower than what it was when they announced the F22 result in May

And you can't say its outrageously over priced either ----PE under 20

A few months before we hear much more from them .... and share price will probably just hang around current levels
    Hasnt been this cheap for years! But could it go lower? Damn this FOPTM

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Hasnt been this cheap for years! But could it go lower? Damn this FOPTM
    All Gurus of stock market know ...its in down markets u make most money . Getting into quality stocks at best prices ....

People were chasing it around $ 99.80 and now no buyers around $ 75 ....smart people will use this opportunity to accumulate ....will it get cheaper ...no one can predict future ...Is it good value at present .....that u can be sure about .

If u follow the crowd ie TA then u will make small money ...if u follow your own wisdom then u can make big money especially quality stocks ...Gold always shines

Guru

"Electric truck swaps battery faster than it takes to fill a tank"
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...to-fill-a-tank

https://www.ft.com/content/bf0076e4-...a-64d62f5e695a

FedEx shares chalked up their biggest daily drop on record after the company warned on its outlook and said it would close offices, freeze hiring and park aircraft in response to a decline in package shipping volumes.

The update, from a company considered a bellwether of global economic growth because of the wide range of items it ships, was issued after Wall Street’s closing bell on Thursday and included a warning on its earnings in the quarter and the withdrawal of its guidance for fiscal 2023.

FedEx shares fell 21.4 per cent to close at a 26-month low of $161.02 on Friday, cementing the biggest one-day drop for the stock since listing in 1978.

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    https://www.ft.com/content/bf0076e4-...a-64d62f5e695a

FedEx shares chalked up their biggest daily drop on record after the company warned on its outlook and said it would close offices, freeze hiring and park aircraft in response to a decline in package shipping volumes.

The update, from a company considered a bellwether of global economic growth because of the wide range of items it ships, was issued after Wall Street’s closing bell on Thursday and included a warning on its earnings in the quarter and the withdrawal of its guidance for fiscal 2023.

FedEx shares fell 21.4 per cent to close at a 26-month low of $161.02 on Friday, cementing the biggest one-day drop for the stock since listing in 1978.
    Fedex is clearly telling markets and FED that slowdown is here possibly a recession as they are the leading indicator unlike many other lagging data market and FED looking at and reacting to badly ....

I just dont understand at present Bond market is right or Fedex is right ...both cant be so one will have to fall in line most probably its the over exuberance of Bond market after surprised by August CPI ....again its overshooting the mark

LT Yields will recede , slowdown is real ....recession will follow in next 6 months it will be known to all ....Fedex knows it now and preparing for it so should we

Jonette, your recently updated figures with an unseasonal jump are indicating two things.

MFT - The 6 months result looks like it will be satisfactory .
    Inflation - The OCR increases have done nothing and more pain is required