sharetrader
Page 22 of 153 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

I have never sold a single MFT share from the long-term portfolio (why sell something while you believe that it has a good future?) and have tried to balance it up by buying other shares. However it still makes up more than up a third of the portfolio.
    om mani peme hum

quote:Originally posted by Paper Tiger

I have never sold a single MFT share from the long-term portfolio (why sell something while you believe that it has a good future?) and have tried to balance it up by buying other shares. However it still makes up more than up a third of the portfolio.
    Glad to hear that you have confidence in MFT. I agree entirely with that principle above. A mere slip of the monkey's tongue to say you were just like FF! [:I] I mean't you bought at the same price/time. Shame they sold even 2% foregoing a much greater profit.

I take from this that you have a trading portfolio as well. Do you do better or worse to trade rather than invest in general terms or is that too difficult to easily assess?

How do you decide exactly when to get out of an investment. I presume you have to have a better alternative lined up as well. With a third invested in one share you must watch it closely. Do you use a trailing stop, moving average and how do you decide? I have seen many different % trailing stops and moving day averages used. Or is fundamental value as important? Is there a principle based on volatility. It would be most helpful for us novices if you could give us some of your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Up again today I see.

TT

Oh no, not another new all time high today.
    Trading well above my valuation, so either me or the market is wrong.

Disc: MFT
    om mani peme hum

Yes. Having resisted the urge to count my chickens before they hatched, it would appear that we did in fact have a nice upside breakout from the ascending triangle.

quote:Originally posted by Paper Tiger

Oh no, not another new all time high today.
    Trading well above my valuation, so either me or the market is wrong.

Down to $6.46, I hope it is not because of something I said

Disc: I get a virtual can of tuna fish for every click on the link
    om mani peme hum

Mainfreight continues to truck () along nicely. Technically all the indicators are nice and positive. But I find the strength rather surprising and I notice that whilst a number of brokers have upped their full year forecasts some have down graded their buy to hold and there is even one sell [:0].

Wonder what use MFT are going to make of the Hirepool sale proceeds?

Disc: hold MFT and have no intention of selling.
    om mani peme hum

Half year is out []

This is a very good result from continued operations and better than I expected.

Very nice of them to do a 28cps special dividend from the Hirepool sale proceeds, now that is a real surprise.

om mani peme hum

Up to $7.85 !!!
    \"The overweening conceit which the greater part of men have of their own abilities [and] their absurd presumption in their own good fortune.\" - <b>Adam Smith</b> - <i>The Wealth of Nations</i>

The information you have is not the information you want.
    The information you want is not the information you need.
    The information you need is not the information you can obtain.
    The informaton you can obtain costs more than you want to pay.

Although the Mainfreight share price has been going sideways, ignoring that very nice 35c divvy [], for a couple of months now I thing that I can safely say that technically it is still looking good.
    Still looks over-priced to me, but I am willing to go with the flow for a while yet.
    om mani peme hum

And ... nearly another four weeks of going sideways, but i suspect it may kick back to life soon.
    today's close of 800 has been a resistance level since December, so it may become a support level.

The bollies are also starting to diverge, the macd is looking positive, the rsi's climbed and is now steady.

Parabolic stop and reverse has given the green light, and the 20- and 50-day moving averages look about to cross.

The on-balance-volume has steadily risen over the last three weeks, but is looking a bit soft over the last two days.

if one wanted to draw (dot-in in faint pencil) a downtrend from early december's peak, one could see that this faint and far-fetched downtrend has been broken.
    anyway, scamper's waiting to pounce.... cheers.