sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend

Cool NZ Retail property auction result.

Anyone attend the Bayleys auction ? Touted as 75 million $$ portfolio for sale - there were several retail properties in Auckland and Tauranga. Caught a glimpse of the report on TV's John Campbell show but didn't catch anything about yields. Any info from anyone?

Amazing prices the vendor got eh

So commercial prop one of the safest investments around at the moment based on these yields

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kees View Post
    Thanks for that. Suprisigly low yields - especially while the govts. policy on depreciation is still up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Thanks for that. Suprisigly low yields - especially while the govts. policy on depreciation is still up in the air.
    Of course, basing an investment decision solely on the tax benefits is a novice mistake...
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Of course, basing an investment decision solely on the tax benefits is a novice mistake...
    True, but it will have an effect if they proceed as indicated (although I'm starting to have my doubts that depreciation will be disallowed). It certainly drives residential property investment which in my neck of the woods has come to a screeching halt. I've come across the odd residential investor genuinely delighted and glowing with cheer because they're losing money.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 13-03-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Bad typo

Suckers?
    Most of the listed PTs have passing yields above 8% with more substantial tenants as well.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by loofa View Post
    Suckers?
    Most of the listed PTs have passing yields above 8% with more substantial tenants as well.
    Yep. And with the real advantage of being PIEs. They're a gift, but don't tell anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yep. And with the real advantage of being PIEs. They're a gift, but don't tell anybody.
    And as I pointed out on another thread , if you have the bottle, you can gear them up with a mix of shares and CFDs.
    This is because although the yield is 10%+ the financing cost is much lower and it works if you are a trader.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by loofa View Post
    And as I pointed out on another thread , if you have the bottle, you can gear them up with a mix of shares and CFDs.
    This is because although the yield is 10%+ the financing cost is much lower and it works if you are a trader.
    Yes, but if you're an income investor just be aware of the sting in the tail of those dividend reinvestment plans, particularly when shares are selling, and therefore being issued to the scheme participants, at a huge discount to NTA.